cobra cooling question

cobradave23

Established Member
Does anyone know what will happen if you remove the bypass hose that goes from the top of the engine down to the thermostat housing.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
You'll blow coolant out the overflow tank every time you step on the gas. If you want to remove the thermostat bypass, then remove the thermostat too. But that thermostat is there for a reason...

When the thermostat is closed, the water goes through the bypass hose and bypasses the radiator. This allows the coolant in the block to heat up quicker. If it cant bypass the radiator, the pump still keeps pumping and the pressure has to go somewhere. "Out" is the only direction pressure knows. At best you'd blow out the overflow tank cap, at worst out the head gasket.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You'll blow coolant out the overflow tank every time you step on the gas. If you want to remove the thermostat bypass, then remove the thermostat too. But that thermostat is there for a reason...

When the thermostat is closed, the water goes through the bypass hose and bypasses the radiator. This allows the coolant in the block to heat up quicker. If it cant bypass the radiator, the pump still keeps pumping and the pressure has to go somewhere. "Out" is the only direction pressure knows. At best you'd blow out the overflow tank cap, at worst out the head gasket.

Good post

cobradave23

Established Member
Thanks guys I guess it would be safe to say that you could reduce the size of the line to heater hose size. I have a single turbo setup and its mostly in the way but if I could use a smaller hose then I would be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread