Cobra dies when I try to accelerate.

hotcobra03

Established Member
What are you using to scan for codes?

I have both hand tuner and Bosch scanner.

My hand tuner doesn’t always show codes

The Bosch is just awesome. It shows so much information and does a engine running test.

Banshee06

Established Member
I cleaned the maf and i dont see any air leaks on the intake.
But it is really hard to check all of the vacuum lines.

Banshee06

Established Member
I cleaned the maf and i dont see any air leaks on the intake.
But it is really hard to check all of the vacuum lines.

Banshee06

Established Member
Also the fuel filter isnt that old I have changed it 4 times and the car has 64,000 miles on it.

Banshee06

Established Member
I do have a bap and i have it dialed to max and was having no problems with it.
I have used my actron code reader to check for codes and there were none.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Might be worth trying to bypass the BAP just to see what happens. I've seen them go bad randomly. One of the reasons I don't like them.

Banshee06

Established Member
I have a mobile mechanic coming today to hopefully figure out my problem.
I did replace the plugs and gaped them .028 on the drivers side and I replace the FRPS.

Banshee06

Established Member
Okay this is what the mobile mechanic found.
With key on fuel rail pressure was almost nothing. Start the car it goes to 35lb.
he left the car on for a few minutes without starting and the car wouldn't start.
let it clear out for a while and it started. he then checked both exhaust the passenger side smell heavy of fuel.
He tested the injectors and number 1 and two both werent working very good.
So he thinks the injectors need cleaned debris is keeping them open causing the car to run badly and to run lean and also making it run hot. So i am going to buy new 60lb injectors of the same brand and replace them.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Do you have anyone local to you that you could swap in a working set of injectors to verify before you have to spend the money on them?
Also
Have you looked over all your coils good to make sure there were no cracks in the boot or casing?
Someone else had the same symptoms as you a while back. Had heavy fuel smell in the exhaust car would stumble and break up when trying to accelerate as well as raw fuel on a few plugs. He ended up finding breaks in the boots on several coils which was causing them to arc through the boot and misfire badly.
Just something else to look at if you haven’t already.

Ken

Banshee06

Established Member
No I don't have I can try and the coils I bought 4 years ago are Ford racing coils.

Banshee06

Established Member
I will be installing the NEW SIEMAN DEKA 60LB EV6 flow matched injectors on Friday. Hopefully this fixes my problem.
The mechanic said this could be also why engine is building up heat the car is running lean. And the spark plugs look like it is running lean.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wish you luck.

After reading what mechanic did.

I’m not sure.

I know on mine if I leave key on and don’t start. It will not start after a few seconds.
I think pats plays a role.

I have to remove key and hit unlock on fob and than it starts.

hotcobra03

Established Member
What about having no fuel pressure with the key on and Motor off?

This may depend more on what has been altered with modifications to fuel system

I’m not up on all that. But

I was thinking pprv delete issue which
A lot have had hose pop off or when upgrading fuel pumps

Fpdm
Bap

Things like that

Banshee06

Established Member
Update!
Got the new Fuel Injectors in and went for a drive car still will falter and pop when accelerating.
Tech then sprayed starter fluid around the intake on passenger side where he said the two injectors were not working right. and the car imediately idled faster.
So now they say my intake gasket has a leak. and I need to pull off My KB 2.8 liquid cooled supercharger and replace the gasket. Because this making the car run lean and not accelerate and could be whey my engine gets so hot.
Does anyone if this sounds like the problem of my engine balking on acceleration and the engine getting hot?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
If that’s the case the bucking and stalling symptoms are because it would run rich and not lean on acceleration. You would be losing boost/air on those cylinders under acceleration. The intake is under positive pressure under acceleration and if the boost/air is being lost at those cylinders from the leak the injectors would not know. The computer would still be dumping fuel in since the MAF reads the incoming air and has no way to know those cylinders are not getting their full air charge. Under idle or light throttle cruising the intake is under vacuum and may also be leaking. If it is leaking while under vacuum the cylinders would in fact be running lean. However the bucking and jerking issues you’re experiencing happening are under acceleration so they are running rich and the injectors are adding more fuel verse the ratio of air they “should” be getting. The issue with running hot is happening because it is in fact leaking under vacuum at idle and light throttle cruising as well. Running lean on those cylinders during normal idle and cruising can most definitely cause the ect to run hot.

Hopefully that explains things in a bit more detail.

So yes that is most likely your issues as they diagnosed it.

Ken

Last edited:

Banshee06

Established Member
Anyone want to make $500 and come to woodburn Oregon and pull my supercharger and the intake and replace the gasket?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I did edit my post above to make it a bit more clear verse how I originally worded it. Just in case you read it before the edit.

Users who are viewing this thread