cobra doesn't hold value.....

A2V2NV

Established Member
Keep in mind that the original Shelby's were practically being given away around 1970, now there worth 6 figures!! Like said before, it takes time to appreciate in value!!

joe

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
A2V2NV said:
Keep in mind that the original Shelby's were practically being given away around 1970, now there worth 6 figures!! Like said before, it takes time to appreciate in value!!

joe

I love my 03 Cobra but still you cant compare an original Shelby to a 03 04 Cobra for collector value.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Yeah I get sick of people saying they can get such and such car brand new for thousands less than sticker. I would like to know how. Around here dealers won't move off the sticker price.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
idareu said:
My concern is the ticking motors. What problems will
we start seeing in the next few years becase of the Tick?

If there are serious motor problems because of the tick, don't expect to get much when you sell.

There will NOT be any serious motor problems from the tick. I had the tick on my 1997 Cobra and I got close to 80,000 miles out of it before trading it in and the motor was running stronger than the day I bought it originally.

The tick is such an overblown issue. If anything negative does actually happen its because those people having problems are running their Cobras into the ground by street/track racing which will eventually make any engine break and have problems. Its part of the game of playing in that hobby or style of driving.

If you keep the car regularly maintained (fluids, tuned, etc) and drive pretty much an average-style and occasionally race now and then on the highways with rolling starts rather than hard launches the Cobra's with the ticks will last just as long as any other car on the road. :rockon: :rockon:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Sapperstang said:
Yeah I get sick of people saying they can get such and such car brand new for thousands less than sticker. I would like to know how. Around here dealers won't move off the sticker price.

I agree with you 100%...I read alot posts here like that too and I can tell you that the people making such claims are only providing about half the story. I have found that most people claiming they are getting a new car around or near cost actually are just saying what they pay on sticker but they are leaving out the fact they they are paying a very high interest rate which when all is said and done they have paid about an additional 10K to 15K ontop of the "deal" they struck.

So those people are all full of :bs:

Last edited:

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
I agree with you 100%...I read alot posts here like that too and I can tell you that the people making such claims are only providing about half the story. I have found that most people claiming they are getting a new car around or near cost actually are just saying what they pay on sticker but they are leaving out the fact they they are paying a very high interest rate which when all is said and done they have paid about an additional 10K to 15K ontop of the "deal" they struck.

So those people are all full of :bs:

Having been one that may have posted such information, I will speak now. Maybe I was getting the good deal because I was paying CASH and had no trade. I have always found you can get the best deal when you take the lead. Show them you know their cost, decide what is reasonble profit, and write them a check for what you are willing to pay. It is fun to see them be the ones that have to make the decision or you walk. Most dealers will take a sure deal it they make some profit.

AzDropTop

Established Member
You think the 03/04's aren't holding their value, try owning a 99. :thumbsup: I bought mine for 22.5 just over 2 years agoand it's worth about 14 right now even with close to 1000 in mods to the car. Oh well, she's a keeper.

One problem I can see with the 03/04's is people being a bit nervous about buying a s/c car used.

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
Cars depreciate, so what? Bought my wife a 2002 Mercedes CLK 55; prefer the older body style. New look killed resale of old body style. $85,000 new, I paid $48,000 two years later with 16,000 miles on it. Will depreciate slower now about $4000 per year. So don't buy new, buy two year old cars.

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
Some are missing my point which is.... Cobra owners are bitching on other treads that cobras don't hold value........while other Cobra owners are telling other Cobra owner who are selling, that they are asking too much. See what I'm saying. In other words, we are f$@king ourselves here.

blumnday99

Established Member
I'd say my Mach 1 was a damned poor investment too. I bought it in 2003 RIGHT BEFORE all the end of the year rebates...I'm still having a hell of a time driving it...put on 26K miles in 15 months and planning on modding it in the coming year.

:smmon:

99cobradave

Established Member
Anyone who bitches about resale value on a car is not purchasing the car for the right reason.

As others have already pointed out, cars have never been nor ever will be an investment. They are cold pieces of metal which get you from point A to point B. Some do it with more style and are more fun to drive. If one wants an investment, purchase a security and buy a used car.

I love vehicles which depreciate fast. It just means that I pay less for a good used car, I drive it until the wheels fall off, and I buy another one.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I bought my Cobra in early 2003 for $34,925.00. Then around
September they were being sold as leftovers for $29,500.
I had to pay sticker price, but I could have saved a lot if I
just waited for September 2003. Oh well.

03EBZ06

IYAOYAS
Established Member
I paid 33k cash for my 03 Z06 about 4 months ago. Personally, I don't care about the resale value. I bought the car because I've always wanted a vette and I'll drive this car for long time. Whenever I get tired of it, I'll sell it for whatever the market price is at that time, but until then it doesn't really matter. :)

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
How many of you folks have talked to an older person with a really sweet car like a Hemi whatever or say, '62 Vette who said "I bought it new"? How many have watched a show about muscle cars where the original owner is showing and talking about it? When ya did, how many thought "Man, I would've loved to have been able to buy something like that new". Guess what, here's your chance. In 20 or 30 years, the '03-'04 Cobra will be seen in the same light as the Hemi Cuda's are today. How long do ya think the insurance companies and legislators are gonna allow this renewed muscle car phase to continue? I say get 'em while ya can and keep 'em.

BTW I get my moneys worth everytime I climb into that beast after a shitty day at work and hear that blower scream! It's the cheapest therapy I know of.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
great conversations

:thumbsup: One question about the 03/04 cobras. they are selling for a certain amount now but will that change come summer! like in April or May will their value go up by about 1 or 2k? anyone watching this trend year round? It has been the case for older cars (99 cobra) I might take on a 03/04 for now at a good price and wait on selling my 99 until summer. just thinking out loud...

Aniversarysnake

Established Member
what do you guys think of the 03 tenth ani. cars. I think they will hold a little better than the rest. At least I hope, that is part of the reason I got this car. I mean I wasn't planning on making a profit but maybe it would hold up a little better. Or maybe I should have went with the silver w/ chromies, hmm desicions desicions.

Jon

crabby

got halfshafts?
Established Member
I was at my local svt ford dealer last week since Im thinking of getting back into a cobra or maybe a lightning (used) next spring they told me they are only paying 18-19k on used 03's, they were more interested in 04's which they pay in the very low 20's for. And I thought I got hosed on my vert when I sold it for 29k!
New cars are losing propositions no matter what they are.

Last edited:

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Why the hell would anyone even think of selling thier new car 1 or 2 years down the road? Let alone think they are going to hold thier value. Lease a car next time.

Users who are viewing this thread