Cobra is back after taking it in for the tick

tv's 03

Established Member
Finally! 23 days without it.:beer:

New motor is in. No more tick and no more excessive piston slap on cold starts. I am loving it

It has the 04 style clutch now. It is not nearly as stiff as the 03 was. Anyone know what they changed?

I kinda like the stiffer clutch pedal better

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
tv's 03 said:

New motor is in. No more tick and no more excessive piston slap on cold starts. I am loving it

It has the 04 style clutch now. It is not nearly as stiff as the 03 was. Anyone know what they changed?

You got a whole new mill for having a tick?

fr03cobra

Established Member
They just replaced my head and tranny. I wished I could have gotten a new motor too.

tv's 03

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
You got a whole new mill for having a tick?

Yep, When the dealer pulled the head off the drivers side, the cylinder closest to the firewall on the drivers side was scuffed. The heads was warped slightly and the car was blowing coolant out the car

It always had the tick, but one dat the large coolant hose in front rubbed the lower pulley as In was driving and I guess the car overheated and warped the head and scuffed the cylinder. It seemed fine after this incident, I fixed the hose and refilled the coolant. The tick was the same as before the incident. The temp guage never moved past half way, but it did detonate as I was driving and went to limp mode. So I guess it just was dying a slow death.

I still wonder if the tick was the head or the cylinder.???

I had the apten cooling mod done for insurance on the new motor

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
tv's 03 said:
Yep, When the dealer pulled the head off the drivers side, the cylinder closest to the firewall on the drivers side was scuffed. The heads was warped slightly and the car was blowing coolant out the car

It always had the tick, but one dat the large coolant hose in front rubbed the lower pulley as In was driving and I guess the car overheated and warped the head and scuffed the cylinder. It seemed fine after this incident, I fixed the hose and refilled the coolant. The tick was the same as before the incident. The temp guage never moved past half way, but it did detonate as I was driving and went to limp mode. So I guess it just was dying a slow death.

I still wonder if the tick was the head or the cylinder.???

I had the apten cooling mod done for insurance on the new motor
Wow! Wonder how many are on the road with the same scuffed cylinder issue. Glad you got your motor replaced. Ford has probably made a number of changes by now so that you'll have a greater peace of mind that the motor is not going to give you any issues any time soon.

I see you installed Apten's cooling mod. I hope you got an updated T-fitting because there have been a couple of cases where the fitting has actually melted. Seems that the heat rating of the fitting is not near as high as it should be. Some have installed brass fittings instead. Read this thread for more info.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166567&highlight=Apten

tv's 03

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Wow! Wonder how many are on the road with the same scuffed cylinder issue. Glad you got your motor replaced. Ford has probably made a number of changes by now so that you'll have a greater peace of mind that the motor is not going to give you any issues any time soon.

I see you installed Apten's cooling mod. I hope you got an updated T-fitting because there have been a couple of cases where the fitting has actually melted. Seems that the heat rating of the fitting is not near as high as it should be. Some have installed brass fittings instead. Read this thread for more info.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166567&highlight=Apten

Yea mine is actually not from Apten, the guy that helped Apten develope the kit here in St. Louis made mine from the ford parts himself. He used heavy duty pvc.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
tv's 03 said:

What was the build date of your first engine? Was it before 11/02 ?

Users who are viewing this thread