Cobra MAF for my Lightning?

JeffCooper

Established Member
Heh - I'm not sure whether to post this in the Terminator Forums or the Lightning Forums... I'll pick the Gen2 Lightning Forums. :)

Maybe this is crazy.

So I have a few bold-ons on my 03 Terminator - but other than a CAI I haven't done much to the intake side of things. On the exhaust side, I swapped out the factory cats with a catless X-pipe (keeping the stock mufflers - for now). I have plans to put Metco lower pulley (8lb?), a throttle body, and figure I'll need an new MAF.

Then there is my 99 Lightning. Its got a 6lb Metco lower pulley, AirRaid CAI, will soon have a C&L plenum (and if I can find an elbow!), and I *know* the 80mm MAF is pegged at this point...will def. be pegged with the new plenum and elbow. I also plan on updating the TB with an Accufab or Billetflow number.

Due to a bad left ankle injury the truck is my daily driver (though pretty bad-assed already) at this time. I hope to have the ankle replaced and back to driving the Cobra more after I heal up.

Anyway - Here's a crazy thought: Why not put the Cobra MAF (90mm) on the truck (currently stock 80mm), and just buy a bigger MAF for the Cobra?? I can do the truck MAF immediately and take my time finding an SCT MAF for the Cobra. I have a programmer (LiveWire).

Has anyone done this?? Thoughts??

Thanks!
:shrug:

JeffCooper

Established Member
So I might be better off selling the 80 and 90mm MAFs and getting two new ones? My pal speaks data logs, so I guess I could try it and see??

...or maybe I just keep cascading them. :dw: Put the 90mm on the Lightning, get a 100mm for the Cobra, tweek the Lightning, tweek the Cobra, take the 100mm out of the Cobra and put it in the Lightning, and buy a.... :idea:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
You could put it on the lightning but like mentioned, could be close to being pegged. If not, cold weather will peg it. Also it would need to be tuned since a cobra has 39lb vs the lightnings 42lb injectors. The cobra won't need a 100, it's not pegged due to the size of the maf, it's the electronics that pegs. The 90 from a 80 does permit more air, as in better flow for the L but the cobra will be fine with an upgraded 90mm from sct or keep the 90 and get a mafia for it. Either way the cobra will need to be tuned for it. Same when you upgrade the L maf. I did have a C&L 95mm (came with it)on my cobra but went to a high boost cai and a ba-3000. I decided to put it on the L just to use it but still have a MAFia on it.

Does your cobra have an upper pulley yet? Maybe go 2.8 upper and 4lb lower.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Just get a 90mm MAF:
2001 04 F 150 Lightning Mass Air Meter 90mm Mustang MAF w Aluminum Flange | eBay

And an extender. The Zone 5 MAFXtender is much cheaper than the MAFia to do the same job:
Zone 5 MAF Xtender

Then get a good tune. I sure wouldn't try and use a tune setup for a Terminator on a L. A 2v 5.4 is very different than a 4v 4.6. Even if they were the same motor I wouldn't try it unless maybe they were modded exactly the same, but even then I probably would skip on a tune setup for that specific vehicle/motor. Hell being a bigger vehicle with a different tranny and gear would likely even total different loads on the motor.

203Cree

Established Member
A 6lb lower is getting close, but not that close on a 90mm MAF. Florida shouldn't get cold enough for you to worry about unless you're going to the track on the coldest day of your year. But I'm assuming that's what your Cobra is for.

There's nothing to tune with a MAF. It doesn't do anything but use voltage to send a signal to the computer to tell it what it needs to do with fuel vs amount of air. But you hopefully know that. If the plugs are the same, the electronics are the same.

What you need are a 90mm and an extender. Diablo makes the MAFia, that worked quite well for many, many people. IIRC, you can set it at 7 and add 5% to the signal. Simple solution to a simple problem.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
The electronics does have a set fuel injector it's looking for. If you throw 60lb injectors on your car and nothing else, it will run like crap. So depending on what you get, it will need an adjustment in a tune or tuner. Get a lighting 90mm for 42lb injectors, then it's fine. That electronic portion is already looking for 42lbs. And it's the temp of the maf element that goes to the EEC to schedule fuel, just a tad more in depth crap knowledge.

I see used mafias all the time. Usually 80-90 bucks shipped. Heck, I think I have an extra in my garage.

Last edited:

JeffCooper

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips fellas! I'll be working with a local tuner here and will come back with what I settle on...I'm currently 4-5 weeks away from being as to put weight on my clutch foot, probably 8-9 weeks before I can deal with the Cobra's heavy clutch, so playing with the "L" for now.

Users who are viewing this thread