Cobra makes a squeeking noise when I push the clutch pedal in

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
couldn't get it to spin but maybe i didnt push hard enough

took a pic

i do drop the transmission right? i dont want to do it and find out that i didnt have to.

298743_2381900980625_1043709818_2770462_484345741_n.jpg

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Didn't you mention prior owner put a twin disc in there? I only have experience with McLeod and Spec, so what twin disc is grey in color? Almost looks factory to me.

TRBO VNM

definitely update, I am curious. I hate theives like that. Not saying it isn't a twin disc, but looking at the rust and color of the pp, leaves me wondering. I just had to break bad news to someone a couple weeks ago that was lied to about a new clutch going in their car. turned out being used and lasted 3 months. luckily the dealer owned up to it and covered the cost of the new clutch

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
started taking the mid pipe off today. i should have the transmission off tomorrow. i'll find out what clutch i have. all the other mods that previous owner said i had, i do have (i found the mods on the car). so it'd be weird if he lied about a twin disc clutch.

do u know if any of the tob's from O'rielys are quality enough to use? trying to pick one up tomorrow. didnt really want to wait for one to be shipped.

these are under the "Performance clutch release bearings" (3)

--
Centerforce - Throwout Bearing
Call for pricing
& availability
(904) 964-2104
Add to Printable List
Online: Currently Unavailable
Store: Call Store for Details
Inside Diameter: 1.430 Inch
Without Backing Plate
Part # : N1714 | Line: CFO - Limited Availability
accessories_4x3x320.jpg

--
Hays - Clutch Release Bearing
Call for pricing
& availability
(904) 964-2104
Add to Printable List
Self-Aligning
Bearing Width 0.740 Inch
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Part # : 70-226 | Line: HYC - Limited Availability
70-226.jpg

--
Hays - Clutch Release Bearing
Call for pricing
& availability
(904) 964-2104
Add to Printable List
Self-Aligning
Bearing Width 0.575 Inch
Part # : 70-230 | Line: HYC - Limited Availability
70-230.jpg

under the non-performance clutch release bearing
National - Clutch Release Bearing
$40.99 Each
Add to Printable List
Online: Available
Store: Available
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ball Bearing Type
Part # : 614014 | Line: BCA
bca_614014_fro.jpg

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Suscribing...As I have tranny noise as well. I'd get the Ford Racing TOB, from what I've read they seem to be the best, it would suck for you to have to take the T56 back out because of another failed TOB.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
someone on my facebook said "dont get a ford race bearing, i have one and it broke like nothin" i believe he's a member on here too. (Michael Marshall)

i'd be willing to get the ford racing one if its mostly positive feedback. its the same price that i'd be paying for the oriely's ones. wonder how long it'll take to be shipped.

part of me wants to go with the orielys ones though. they all have 1 year warranties. the ford racing has none.

by the way. mine started with a weird steady noise...like the noise from a vacuum cleaner. when it first started. i could push the clutch in and the vacuum noise would go away. then it got to where it was a noise all the time. then i heard a small squeek when i was in a drive-thru..the noise bounced off the drive-thru wall. then it got to where it squeeked and chirped loud as hell when i shifted gears.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

LOL, first negative I have heard about the ford racing TOB. I have replaced others that come from the clutch manufacturers within months of installing. Ford Racing, haven't replaced one yet unless the car was ready for a clutch.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
almost got it off. can't get the top bolt on the driver side that you're suppose to take off with a 2 foot extension through the transmission tunnel. got the driveshaft/pipes/crossmember off. i have power tools but they're boxed up. trying to get it with a normal ratchet.

TRBO VNM

I assume the two upper bolts on the tranny to bell housing? I use a 3' extension and another 6 inch extension and go above the tranny. I lower the tranny a little to gain extra space.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
the clutch says: Valeo, 3314bs1 (the 1's could be I's?), Ford symbol, 2r3v-7563__ (can't read the last 2 digits)..
culdnt find anything no the valeo part number 3314bs1. how can i tell which clutch it is? i noticed valeo makes the king cobra clutch. i took a photo of it but my camera wont work now (moisture in it i guess)

i got the transmission removed but left the bellhousing. it was the bearing. part of the bearing was shaved off and the balls fell out when i barely touched it. how do i remove the bearing. it looks like theres something behind the bearing that it's holding it on. couldnt really see what it was. whats the proper way to remove it?

from what i can see, the clutch looks fine, no missing pieces. anything i need to inspect? should i take the bellhousing off?

the new tob just slides on there and its ready to go?

should i use loc-tite on the driveshaft bolts?

i have a list somewhere of what to torque everything too. does have a 3' extension on the end of a torque wrench mess with the torque at all? seems like it would. someone told me i dont fully torque each bolt. they said to do them all about 10, then do 20 then do 30 for all. (just an example if they were torqued to 30). so basically instead of doing one at a time, do them all gradually.

also, i accidently spilled quite a bit of the oil out of the transmission when i was removing it. i was thinking of draining the rest of the oil out and refilling it with new oil. what brand do you recommend? and how much.

i also noticed some dry dirt in my transmission in one corner. but it didnt spread anywhere else. just one chunk in the bottom corner on the passenger side of the tranny. is it ok to spray it with carb cleaner? just to make sure i get all of the dirt out.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Ugh...unless ford provided twin discs in terminators, the guy lied to you or he was lied to from the shop if he had it installed. And why i questioned it when you posted that pic. That is what the stock clutch is stamped with Valeo....maybe it is a different than stock clutch, but can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it is not a twin disc.

The TOB, it just slips off the fork. There are 2 spring type tabs that hold it on, just wait to pull it off until you have the new one and then you can compare to be sure you understand how to remove and install. Basically, it is pull it off and put the new one on.

Did you remove the fork from the tranny? If not, where the cable goes on the fork, just pull the fork down and the other end will pop off the ball and then you pull it forward off the retainer sleeve/input shaft and then swap TOB's. Throw a little wheel bearing grease on the pivot ball and then reverse install.

I will answer the rest later if someone else didn't. I have a meeting to go to.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Only take bellhousing off if you want to check the status of the clutch. You can't really tell what it looks like without taking it all apart.

On the DS bolts, I don't worry about torqing a little here and there. I just do it all at once, but I make sure they are all started by hand first. same with the tranny. The clutch and flywheel have specific sequences and I refer to my Helm manual for that.

I use red loctite on the driveshaft bolts. 83lb-ft is the spec if I recall correctly and I use a 6 inch extension on that.

the trans bolts are 25lb-ft torq and I use a 3' plus 6" extension usually. Yeah, the extensions affect the torq some, but not enough for me to be concerned.

I use factory fluid in the trans. some people use synchromesh, some use royal purple and other stuff. I just stick with factory. make sure car is level when filling. look in your manual. I think it takes just under 4 qts.

I assume the dirt is on the front cover. Between the trans and bellhousing area? using brake clean is fine. you can use a wire brush as well to break it up and some air to blow it out and then just wipe it down.

inspect the pressure plate fingers. with the TOB blowing up like that, make sure the fingers are not damaged or worn down.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
thanks. i looked the number up and came up with this: Pressure Plate P/N: 2R3V-7563-AARM

maybe i'm not looking at the right thing. this is my first time messing with transmissions.

TRBO VNM

which is a stock pp and NOT a twin disc. Sorry man. If it isn't slipping at all, put a new TOB in and go forward. If it was slipping, time to replace it all since you are there already.

Which this also means, you have a stock 10 spline input shaft, which also sucks because someone putting in a twin disc, you would assume was smart and upgraded to 26 spline.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
took the bearing out and its the one they sell at oriely's. bca 61____ something.

took me awhile to figure out how to remove the bearing. hope i didnt bend it the clamps.

is the tob suppose to have any slack to move?

Last edited:

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
now i have a problem

couldnt get the tob on the clutch fork while the clutch fork is attached.

so i unattached the clutch fork and slid the tob on, and then i cant get the clutch fork back on with the tob on. only can get it on without the tob attached

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

gonna have to post some pics. I know I have done these countless times, but it should be self explanatory.

you CAN'T put the fork on and then the TOB. They have to go on together.

post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread