cobra rotors warping on road course events very easly

shlbygt

Established Member
first off its on a 95 tbird, with cobra brakes i went to carolina motorsport park saturday with my new brembo rotors they had about 25 miles on them first session felt a little vibration, second session it was horrible, so i went to napa and got a set of aftermarket rotors, went easy the first lap second lap i let it rip then they wore warped just as bad, what gives guys i measured the run out today on the napa rotors the drivers side was fine but the passenger side had 5 thousands and who know how much it had while it was hot and these are the 13 inch cobra brakes, the only rotors ive had luck with are my baer 2 peice rotors but they were drilled and sloted and they ate my pads off the first time i went a few months back and i didnt wanna spend 170 a peice for the solid rotor peices for those just yet, and the car is making plenty of power 370 plus at the wheels havent dynoed with the cams but i would get up 120 on the bigger straight aways and 105 on the front straight away, any ideas guy give me some suggesttions here also i am runn satisafied gs3 pads which are 400-1000 degrees so there not to over aggressive compared to what others told me they had

Robert

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
okay they are brembo rotors,

i measured run out on the brembos i have no clue which side they were on but on is 1.5 thousands the other is 4 thousands i suspect that the warped one is on the passenger side cause the drivers side napa one was about the same and the passenger side was 5 thousands whats your thougts guys, im thinking the hub is outta whack and from measuring the runout on it i think that also but i wanna here what others have to say, if its pad transfer id be suprised i tried my buzz wheel on the bad spots and i couldant change the reading on the rotors

Robert

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Robert,

I run CMP several times a year and it is hard on brakes. However, I have never warped a rotor on any of my cars. Not saying you haven't but just saying.

I'd suggest getting a new set of of Brembo OEM rotors (blanks) from Tire Rack and getting a set of Carbotech Bobcat brake pads and running that setup on the street for a few hundred miles. That will effectively slow season the rotors as suggested earlier. Then switch to a set of Carbotech XP10s (or XP12s) for the track.

The last set of rotors I had on my 99 Cobra (3685lbs) lasted two years with multiple trips each year to CMP by doing the above. I too would hit 120 before the Kink and 100+ on the front straight (running 1:51 laps).

And brake cooling is an absolute must on that track. More important than anywhere else. You have very little cool down time from T1 to T4 and very little from T14 to T1. Just over 2 miles with 14 turns; three of which are 90 degrees or greater and within less than a mile of each other.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
well what kinda power did you have to get those speeds, or u were prolly going thru turns much faster than i am at this point, thats pretty stout, im doing 120 between 7-8 also for a 99 cobra that couldant have been stock, the mach 1 the instructer guy had just had exhaust and he could do 108 lol i think he needs more power, well i ordered some hubs cause its funny how only one rotor out of 2 different brands would be warped and the runout on the one hub seems excessive to me at 6 thousands what you think?

Robert

brkntrxn

Established Member
Not sure about the runout... rotors and pads become disposables after a while and I have never bothered to measure one.

The 99 Cobra was not stock... it was putting 355/338 to the ground on a safe, reliable tune and a 3.55 gear (the most recent combination - the car had a long history).

-Kevin

brkntrxn

Established Member
was it all motor or a blower

Robert

All motor. Here is the full list of parts on the car the last time I had it at CMP in June and turned the 1:51: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../637333-sale-1999-black-black-cobra-mods.html

When I had the blower on it several years ago, it was pushing anywhere from 480rwhp to 554rwhp depending on the tune.

BTW, I happen to have a set of front XP10s and rear XP10s for sale. Make me an offer if you are interested: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0-fs-carbotech-xp10-front-xp10-rear-pads.html

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Well I might make and offer on the fronts the backs want work cause I use tbird calipers on cobra rotors

Robert I just need some more money lol your not to far from me i'm in Carthage NC

MFE

Established Member
He's not warping the rotors, rotors hardly ever warp. He's getting uneven pad deposits on them, though, because the pads aren't being bedded-in properly. And those uneven deposits lead to hot spots on the rotor, which then turn into hard spots, which wear slower than the rest of the rotor, turning them into high spots, and the problem perpetuates itself.

The solution is 3-fold:

1) Put fresh, plain-faced rotors on the car, and season them before you take them to the track. Seasoning means gently adding heat to them, then letting them cool completely. This relieves internal stresses. Here's how: Baer Brake Systems | Performance you can See!

2) Get rid of the "Satisfied" pads and go with something more track-proven, like Carbotech XP8 or Porterfield R4, and bed them properly. This is the process of getting pad material to transfer evenly into the surface of the rotor.

Here's how: Baer Brake Systems | Performance you can See! or Instructions for bedding in your brakes

3) Add cooling ducts, and direct the air into the center of the rotor hat, not its inside face.

David Hester

Established Member
^ I agree. It's just real hard to warp a rotor. 1500 degrees isn't going to do it and you are going to run out of pad before you get much hotter than that.

1:51 at CMP... that's um, pretty darn quick.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
1.57 is the best I could pull so far but I'm running kumho mx tires not r compounds, I get alotta my time from the straight away speed iv got just need to brake a little later but with vibrations I wasent comfortable doing that

Robert

MFE

Established Member
Runout is only part of the equation, and it's not even going to capture the bigger part of the equation, which is pad smear and the resulting hard spots on the rotor.

Read this, then do what I recommended above. The author of this article, Carroll Smith, was THE MAN when it came to suspension and brake dynamics and a whole host of other things involving racing. He very literally wrote the book. Several of them, in fact. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

You've got a lot of experienced people here telling you the same things: Season the rotors, get good pads, bed them properly, keep them cool.

As an aside, I wouldn't be worrying too much about lap times on your 2nd track day. There are better things to focus on, which will actually make your lap times quicker sooner.

Last edited:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Well i'm not to worried about lap times just some freinds timing me, well guys I understand about pad smearing, but I'm only having the trouble on one rotor the run out is in spec the other is not, that's why I think I have deeper problems than just pad smearing, also the run out is bad on both sides of the rotors, I'll definetly follow the bed in procedure, but when there is 6 thouthands run out on the hub that's a problem in my book, do u guys not think so??

Robert

MFE

Established Member
Speaking of hubs...how are yours? Worn hubs will cause brake shudder too.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
well the bearings are tight but the run out in them is what bothers me well the run out in the passenger side one that is, the hubs are new but in 2000 are so cause i did a mustang lug pattern swap

Robert

brkntrxn

Established Member
^ I agree. It's just real hard to warp a rotor. 1500 degrees isn't going to do it and you are going to run out of pad before you get much hotter than that.

1:51 at CMP... that's um, pretty darn quick.

Thanks, David. I thought it was so-so considering my competition that day. That was in Time Trials back in June. Temps were well into the 90's that day and I was on a well used set of NT01s.

BTW, you probably don't want to know that a couple of weeks ago I ran a 1.49 on six year old 25k mile original F1 street tires in the bone stock 03 Z06... in traffic. :)

David Hester

Established Member
No. no I don't.
smile.gif

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
I just looked at my 2006 times....1:59. Even the GT-1 cars were only turning 1:51 race laps. Is the new configuration that much faster or is it just great driving. ;-)

MYLAPS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread