cobra rotors warping on road course events very easly

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
first off its on a 95 tbird, with cobra brakes i went to carolina motorsport park saturday with my new brembo rotors they had about 25 miles on them first session felt a little vibration, second session it was horrible, so i went to napa and got a set of aftermarket rotors, went easy the first lap second lap i let it rip then they wore warped just as bad, what gives guys i measured the run out today on the napa rotors the drivers side was fine but the passenger side had 5 thousands and who know how much it had while it was hot and these are the 13 inch cobra brakes, the only rotors ive had luck with are my baer 2 peice rotors but they were drilled and sloted and they ate my pads off the first time i went a few months back and i didnt wanna spend 170 a peice for the solid rotor peices for those just yet, and the car is making plenty of power 370 plus at the wheels havent dynoed with the cams but i would get up 120 on the bigger straight aways and 105 on the front straight away, any ideas guy give me some suggesttions here also i am runn satisafied gs3 pads which are 400-1000 degrees so there not to over aggressive compared to what others told me they had

Robert

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I didn't see front brake cooling in your mods. Do you have front brake cooling? That is VERY important.

Also, what is your 'on track' driving experience level? Many noobs like to overuse the brakes. The brake pedal is their security blanket.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
well this was my second track day, i didnt have any trouble with my other rotors the baer 2 peice ones

Robert

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
well this was my second track day, i didnt have any trouble with my other rotors the baer 2 peice ones

Robert

Well, the Baer 2 pc rotors are designed for a LOT of abuse. :idea: Those crappy over the counter NAPA rotors are not. :read:

Do you have front brake cooling on the car? If not, I'd suggest it. I'd also suggest some in-car instruction as that will help a lot with the over-braking I believe you are doing.

Good luck!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
well i have had 2 different instructers and one was is known as mr nasa or something, and the head instructer has even rode with me, ive rode with him in his car also and i dont brake near as late as he does also, i know the napa rotors are cheap but the brembos did the same thing thats what bugs the crap outta me thinking ive got issues like the hubs but there are checking out okay they do look like the need to be cleaned were the rotor mounts, but i took the one good rotor and mounted it on both sides and it has 2 thousands run out max and according to the links above thats right on spec, seems you brake easy there fine lol

Robert ps i do not have brake cooling ducts havent figured out how to get air to them or how to mount them it will have to be custom

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
well i have had 2 different instructers and one was is known as mr nasa or something, and the head instructer has even rode with me, ive rode with him in his car also and i dont brake near as late as he does also, i know the napa rotors are cheap but the brembos did the same thing thats what bugs the crap outta me thinking ive got issues like the hubs but there are checking out okay they do look like the need to be cleaned were the rotor mounts, but i took the one good rotor and mounted it on both sides and it has 2 thousands run out max and according to the links above thats right on spec, seems you brake easy there fine lol

Robert ps i do not have brake cooling ducts havent figured out how to get air to them or how to mount them it will have to be custom

I've never heard of the gs3 pads you said you were running? Are they a race pad? Are there bedding instructions that came with the pads. It could be something as simple as a bedding prodedure? Brembo makes good rotors.

If you want to drive that car you better figure out how to get some front brake cooling fabbed up on it!

pkwest

Established Member
The only times I have had issues with warped roters on any ford car is when i've had someone else IE a tire store tighten the lugs. If you don't tighten them properly you will introduce runout. That will cause warping. I always tighten evenly in a star pattern. I start off by hand tighten using the extension and socket only first then bang the tire with my fist all the way around to seat the rotor. Then I proceed to progressively tighten the lugs in a star pattern roughly 15, 60 and finish at 95 ft lbs.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Satisfied Performance Brakes you can find them there just type in and 03 mustang cobra and they are the gs3 version, its weird the brakes always seem fine for a 1/2 lap or one good stop then go to shaking as soon as there hot

Robert

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
pig compared to the svo yes but to and 03 04 cobra no it 36xx pounds with out driver and those year cobras are 3600, anyone here have anythoughts on pad transfer, but i sure cant see it

Robert

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Braking "as late as the instructor" is not overusing your brakes, it's saving them. I'm sure your instructors or classroom sessions covered the fact that the more you compress your braking zones, the longer time, per lap, your brakes have to cool. They're going to build the same amount of heat either way, but the less you're on them, the more cooling time they have.
Try it. :D

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I had no problems at my first open track event at Texas World Speedway in my full weight '04 Cobra. I was using stock Brembo rotors, Carbotech XP10/XP8 (F/R), and a Midcontinent Mustangs front brake cooling.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
pig compared to the svo yes but to and 03 04 cobra no it 36xx pounds with out driver and those year cobras are 3600, anyone here have anythoughts on pad transfer, but i sure cant see it

Robert

The 03/04s are pigs as well.
After posting, I remembered that when I was running Hawk HP+, I thought I had warped my rotors as well. What I found out was that I wasn't using the brakes hard enough. When I started using the brakes harder, what I thought was rotor warp went away.

I'm not sure if that's your situation or not.

Are you using stock MN12 stuff up front? You may convert over to the SN95 stuff, and get a brake cooling kit for that set up.

David Hester

Established Member
Are y'all sure you are warping rotors? I've been club racing with SCCA for over 25 years in several different types of cars from formula to sedan.
I've run the same rotors for an entire season with pretty serious pads (DTC-70 )and never warped a set- 3200 lb A/Sedan car. I'm pretty aggressive on the brakes, too, as I have never had the power to out run some of the bigger cars we were grouped with (GT-1, SPO, T-1).
Pad build up is another story. That usually buffs off.
Stepping on hot brakes after the cool down lap is a no-no, especially while you are waiting to pull off track. You will leave a pad print that causes a "wobble". I used 12"x .81 $40 Wilwood rotors on both ends for years, btw.

I thought I had ruined a set of rotors after one track day in the Roush.
Turns out the pads were just OEM. Buffed off the residue and they worked great with some Hawk HP+'s.
CMP only has a couple of really hard braking points, turn 1 and turn 11.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I think you just need better pads and maybe some cooling ducts. You are also probably overusing the brakes.

I doubt the rotors are warped, they probably just need to be re bedded with better pads.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Wow these are race compound pads I'm running that are 400-1000 degrees, and not once did I even come near brake fade not using the brakes hard enough is a thought those, after stoping from 120 down it was better then coming to turn 11 back to the same way they were I'm gonna measure the runout on the brembos and see were they stand if it's pad transfer I should be able to buzz them off and they should have virtually no run out

Robert

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Do the rotors actually have Brembo stamped in the edge? There were some out there at one time being sold as Brembos that were some kind of counterfit or something (I don't remember the details).

If they are the real deal, many out there are using them, and most hold up except for cracking.

Users who are viewing this thread