Cobra , trailer, & Winches

cobra=trouble

Established Member
What's the least lb. Rating to get a Cobra up on a trailer. I say Cobra thats my Heaviest car. I just got a used car tralier. Am looking at HF. cause of low funds means lowest prices.
I dont think a ATV or a UTV winch is going to cut it , even with the good reviews I read.
Thanks was looking at 3000. 5000 6000 and dont know if I need the 9000 or 12, 000lb.
The 3000 has a 3/16 cable. :dw:

Last edited:

big dad

Established Member
The winch in my trailer is rated at 4500lbs. and gets the job done. I've had it for over twenty years and mounted in two different trailers. I would go with a 5000# rated winch and no lower.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
The winch in my trailer is rated at 4500lbs. and gets the job done. I've had it for over twenty years and mounted in two different trailers. I would go with a 5000# rated winch and no lower.
I was thinking the same thing the 6000 looks more like a car trailer winch. I have serval race cars if something happened at track I could winch it up. Nothing over 3800 lbs not sure what angle my ramps are one THANKS

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Assuming it's not a car on flat tires or stuck in gear, you can get by with less than 6k. Of course if you want to be covered for those possibilities...

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
i have one for a boat (2k) it looks like a little black box with a handle and it struggles to get it up but it does the job, i would get a $270 harbor freight 6k winch for my next one. btw the weight rating on the winches isnt by how much your car weighs, its by how much force it takes to pull it

cobra=trouble

Established Member
My worst car would be to drag a old car up with flat tires like a wrecked vehicle. Maybe a tire or 2 missing. My bro inlaw has a 8000 warn its over kill he says over 30 yrs. Old. It tuged up a 74 Cad.Eldo. like it was nothing and it was stuck in gear axle axles where siezed.tugging it around like it was a Toy.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i have one for a boat (2k) it looks like a little black box with a handle and it struggles to get it up but it does the job, i would get a $270 harbor freight 6k winch for my next one. btw the weight rating on the winches isnt by how much your car weighs, its by how much force it takes to pull it
the one that goes over the tralier ball I saw those too. BTW I have a Mineral Grey 2003 Vert also:banana: makes 2 only:beer: 152 more to find. Wonder how many survived out there.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I can get the 6000 lb. One for $220.00 bucks with 25% off coupon.
I am going to have it mounted inside a big tool box that I will cut a slot out for.
To Mount spare battery ? Need way to keep it charged while truck is running.
Also need trailer brake controller.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
They dont carry the 6000 on the web site any more and the 3000 changed to the 3500 .and the 3500 has more HP then the 5000 wth ?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Seems the winches with the super coupon. You can not use the 25% coupon off with it .totsl BS everything as a super coupon it things. Its a catch . Dunno what to do yet

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member

this....

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
This may be a silly question bu why do you need a winch to get your car on the trailer?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
This may be a silly question bu why do you need a winch to get your car on the trailer?

I'm guessing its for when you snap a half shaft or something along those lines where you can't drive it up and need to push. Been there done that :) It took several of us to push my car up onto the trailer. Would have been real nice if there was a winch.

Users who are viewing this thread