Cobra vs. 4.6 2v GT...ouch!!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I was stopped at the light getting ready to enter the freeway onramp. It was a two lane entry and me and a white GT were first in line and next to each other. He blips his throttle...sounds good...but I think...what in the world is he thinking??? The light turns green and we make the left onto the ramp. I shift into second gear and he pulls up along side me. I nod at him and he nails it...then I nail it...and my car jumps hard on him. I glanced at my boost guage and it's almost 10 lbs. I short shift the car into 3rd about 5800 and it jumps on him again. I'm far enough ahead of him I'm about to lift when I catch something out of the corner of my eye. I glance over and here that sob comes!! And I mean hard!! By the time I'm near the top of 3rd, he's pulled ahead of me and he just keeps on truckin'. Now I'm definitely ready to lift because we're going WAY to fast...and he's a lot faster than I am! I don't know if he was centrifugally charged, had juice, or what, but he definitely handed me my ass in my hand. I finally caught up with him and gave him a thumbs up and he smiled back at me.

I think Rob and Dean here have worked their magic on it. I'm totally stock except for a FR500 cat back, but still...this car was amazing...and such a sleeper. I give him his props. Cobra...Mach 1, GT...it doesn't matter. These are all great cars with incredible potential. Stock for stock, the Cobra outperforms them all on a drag strip or road course (proven by many), but you pay for that performance. Add the cost of the Cobra to mods by the other models, and they're all supercars.

Jpjr

Established Member
shame on you.

call off christmas for the kids and get your car to amazon or apten. NOW.

:)

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
he must have been letting you get a head start:D

too many people act like 2v's are impossible to get high perf out of. It is just a little harder (and probably more finicky) than a terminator.

That's cool you gave him a :thumbsup: afterwards. Too bad you couldn't find out what was done to it.

03yellow

Established Member
I am so ashamed. Oh father, how will I ever face the other kids at school.

Its no longer about you or your car; you have an obligation to your fellow cobra owners to start modding your car.
Sit your wife and kids down and tell them that christmas is going to be a little slim this year. "Daddy has somthing he must do" then go dump abundle into your car.

Were behind you!!!!

primo

Established Member
My 01 GT ran 11's with a Paxton Novi 2000, Lt's and 4.10's. Plus a list of other mods. I must have dumped 8K in mods in that 2V. It was quick, but not as quick as my new terminator. I pulled hard on stock 03 cobras all the time, even owned a few at the 1st FFW in Phoenix. Any car can be fast with money. Look at the 10.0 second civics. They are still Civics and still GT's though. I love my cobra, it's rare, unique and has a style of it's own. In the 1/4, my 01 GT would give my 03 cobra a good heads up race for sure! But, my Cobra is still faster, has instant TQ and handles way better than my 01 GT. I agree with the others, get a pulley and a Predator and try to hunt him down for a nother run. PM me if you want a ride in a pulleyd car. You will be buying a pulley as soon as I drop you off. :)

bunk22

Established Member
My old h/c/i and supercharged 1995 Mustang GTS used to rape my stock Cobra when my wife and I would go at it. Even as my Cobra sits now, I doubt it could have taken the car especially being that my 95 probably wieghed around 3200#'s. The top end charge with that centrifugal was brutal. Maybe an Apten armed Cobra would probably even things up a bit.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
03yellow said:
I am so ashamed. Oh father, how will I ever face the other kids at school.

Its no longer about you or your car; you have an obligation to your fellow cobra owners to start modding your car.
Sit your wife and kids down and tell them that christmas is going to be a little slim this year. "Daddy has somthing he must do" then go dump abundle into your car.

Were behind you!!!!

You guys crack me up!! :lol: The thoughts that ran through my mind as he blew around me were amazing. I mean in a split second I was calling Rob and Dean, pricing Doug's pulleys, calling Bassani, etc, etc. But I have to give the guy his due...that thing flew. Now, I'm stock because I just don't want to give up my warranty. With only 3000 miles on the clock, I still have a ways to go. With head ticks, etc, I think it's prudent to remain stock for the present time. But I feel I let you guys down!!

T Bag...watch out for a white GT here in the Valley... If you catch him, let me know how you did against him, ok?? He had to assume I was modded...and he still wanted a piece of me, so I would guess he's pretty confident about his car.

And by the way...I very will may take you up on that offer of a ride. I would love to feel how they run modded. Did Rob and Dean do your tune for you?

primo

Established Member
Rob and Dean are good guys. The only work they have done for me is install the gears in my GT. They did my 99 GT and my 01 GT. If I need to move up to 3.90's in this car, I'll have them do it as well. I have a tune from RWTD, james nailed my tune dead nuts even. Street tune to a 11.5 A/F all the way to redline. What rims were on the white GT? Because my 99 was a white auto that I hade 4.10's in, shift kit and every bolt on imaginable. It ran low 13's on street tires NA, so it might have been it. I am always game for a race, If I see him around, I'll let you know how many bus lengths I put on him. My blower is being sent to steigmeir for porting this week, and I should have my NX wet by the time I get it back. 10's, here I come!

primo

Established Member
Remember, stock verts are heavier than coupes. If you have the stock shifter in there, I bet you were not driving it like you stole it. Please don't flame, but I looked at the majorty of the time slip bars, or et's on most of these 03 cobra boards and found on "AVERAGE" bone stock verts on F1's run low 13's with 106-108 trap speeds. So you are right around Mach1 territory. I'm sure a good driver with a pro 5.0 and a set of DR's would get into the 12's and a higher trap speed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It happens to the best of us. That's what's so unpredictable about racing. If you don't know what the other guy is running it's a gamble. Nice to see someone post when they've gotten killed. I like your attitude! Now go out and get yourself some mods. LOL!

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Bob...thanks...but it hurts man!! Honestly...we weren't in the best place to be trying that crap. Too fast for the conditions and I lifted as soon as he owned me.

T Bag...to be honest, I didn't even notice the wheels. I was spending too much time looking at his tail lights....LOL But I DO believe it was an automatic. I honestly think he had a s/c or a hair dryer on it. It just came on too hard on top not to. It was a neat car! I had an '89 that would run 12's naturally aspirated on the stock short block. It took a good car to beat it. But if I beat an LS1, etc, it was always interesting to see the look on their faces when I pulled back into the pits and popped the hood when they saw it was n/a. I loved that car. It was a decent sleeper too.

Let me know if and when you want to swap gears. I have an extra diff here you can use and save the down time. Just have Rob and Dean put the gears in it and you can swap the diff. Just give me back your old diff when you're done. If you have a selection of shims...and I ever get my press...I would be happy to swap them for you. I've done a ton of 'em....

primo

Established Member
My good buddy, i think you need 4.10's if you are not going to pulley down. But for me, 500+ RWTQ at 3K RPMs doesnt sound like a gear swap is in the works. I would be roasting my tires in every gear.

03yellow

Established Member
Wait till they start spraying!

150 shot on a new gt will give it close to 500 rwtq at the rear. A Gt automatic, live axle, with a 150 shot and a set of slicks will run well!

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
hj16 said:
Haha, he was playing with you :banana:

Stock Slobras are easy pickings :burnout:

Yep.

Mod or die. motto of this thread...............

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I love races were a GT wins against something with more supposed grunt under the hood. I love my Cobra but my GT has alot of value to me seeing how it was my first fast car and I've put alot of green into her. Never had one problem with her and I'm always jumping on the throttle in the GT.

Blown318

2FAST4U Racing
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
I don't know if he was centrifugally charged, had juice, or what, but he definitely handed me my ass in my hand.

that is one of the better quotes I have seen on here!!! LOL!!!!! :lol: :lol:

rACeRs

Established Member
Good story. Its always fun to see the underdog win even if your the one getting owned :beer:

Maybe im confused here, but what is a pro 5.0 going to do for your track times?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread