Cobra vs M3, vs 300 SRT8

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
A kill and a death for my Cobra.

First with the kill:

First up the M3. Driving home from work (week ago) and an orangish M3 (custom paint job?) comes flying by me. Doesn't bite; can't just do a fly by and not race. So I just continue on my way and make a right, so does he. Follows me just flashing his high beams at me repetitively so I'm like okay one last try. We line up and I hear him down shift and his car gets loud. I do the same and my car gets even louder. No honks he punches it and so do I; but I immediately start spinning on my crappy cheap hard as a rock summitomo tires on cold pavement. My car goes a bit sideways and I have to let off to catch it and by this point the bimmer is like a car and a half ahead. Once I get traction I punch it again and catch up like nothing and just pass him while shifting into third. Put about 4 cars on this car. I thought it was an 02ish model but I think I saw the same car recently and can say it's a 96ish M3. Had exhaust and idk what else.

Second race is a death (300 SRT8) :
Driving home again (in Mexico), just this night I spot a greyish chrysler 300 SRT8. From the back I could see some exhaust, catback looked sick on the car! All polished and what not. I'm not expecting anything when all of a sudden I hear his auto down shift and go. I obviously couldn't catch up. We play a bit and than meet at a light. Rolls down his window and says "Still sounds like an old Ford. What's done to it?" Me "Just exhaust. What's done to the 300?" Him "Just a catback." So I'm thinking this big brick of a car can't be all that fast; sure it's got a huge motor but it's a brick.
Well lesson learned it's a lot faster than my Cobra haha. He honked the 3, and we're off with me getting the hit and I initially pull a car and he gains this back pretty quickly. We're side by side through 2nd (race started in first around 25-30mph roll), at the top of second he's past passed me and I'm right at his rear bumper with no gap in between us. I made a poor shift into 3rd as I was looking at the traffic ahead and that crappy shift let him get ahead by a car. I slammed the brakes as traffic was coming up and he kept going barely, braked in time to avoid a collision haha.

Lesson learned SRT8 300's can move. My cobra just basically is stock: O/R X, and shifter. Also running rich, and I thought my clutch was slipping now for a month or so and still raced. Turns out it just needed some adjustment and all is well.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks, but eh I don't think so on the 300. Checked the specs and they're pretty fast for being bricks. 425hp vs my 305hp lol I might have stuck with him for a bit longer if I would have had a better shift.

Maybe I'll run him when my 4.10's are in. Have them already to go just haven't done it lol.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I ran a 300 srt8 on the interstate (70mph to 140mph) and we were literally neck and neck the whole time. I trapped 109.33 mph at the time (lid/FRA only) and he had a CAI.

Honestly I don't see you hanging easily once the speeds start climbing, those pigs start flying up top.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think 4:10 would hurt you..Yeah great launch but as speed really climbs you will start to run out of gear...

Do the 97 Cobra's redline at 6800 like New Edge?

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
I had a 300c srt8 before getting into a 2012 gt. I had Predator tune, intake, and exhaust. I ran a best of 12.89@108 with my fat ass in it. Car could move for how big it was. I miss the low end torque but i'm hoping to remedy that with a blower :)

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I had a 300c srt8 before getting into a 2012 gt. I had Predator tune, intake, and exhaust. I ran a best of 12.89@108 with my fat ass in it. Car could move for how big it was. I miss the low end torque but i'm hoping to remedy that with a blower :)

Buddies Charger SRT8 has a Predator and CAI on it... 12.87 @ 108.83mph on a 1.9 60ft... he's like 240lbs... damn car is a hoss!!!

2K1 SVT

Established Member
thanx man...been away for awhile and made some changes to the outside and the inside. ;-)

Did you get a stronger clutch put in so you can launch it hard? I know you mentioned in a few threads that you were on the stock clutch and that you were going easy on it. Your car is probably the nicest evo that I've seen, you should post some pics of it in the pics and videos buffet.

Sorry for the thread jack OP, nice runs

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I ran a 300 srt8 on the interstate (70mph to 140mph) and we were literally neck and neck the whole time. I trapped 109.33 mph at the time (lid/FRA only) and he had a CAI.

Honestly I don't see you hanging easily once the speeds start climbing, those pigs start flying up top.
Yeah I don't see me hanging with him either lol. Your LS1 is a lot faster than my anemic 4V. I thought my top end was pretty good but nope that SRT8 300 is pretty fast up top. Your car sounds strong.

I think 4:10 would hurt you..Yeah great launch but as speed really climbs you will start to run out of gear...

Yeah they will hurt me up top. Down low they should be okay? I've heard they are good for 40 rolls so we shall see. That's the downside :/ And yes they do redline at 6800 as well. I'm considering buying the 1.5 kennebell from Mystic but not ready to dump the money haha.

Dayemmm that's impressive! I was not aware of this. Pretty fast cars I must say. I think you will be quite satisfied with a blown 5.0 :rockon:

honestly i dont think u did that bad in the cobra...i thought it wud be worse for you! ur cobra definetly moves out!
Thanks, I'm thinking the same now after checking the specs on them. I'm glad it wasn't that bad. Although before than we did a play a little: I punched it in 2nd, he took too long to react so I let off but by than he was on his merry way. So I went back into the throttle and pulled in closer but he ended up putting a smack down on me. Only was a car ahead but if it weren't for traffic he would have embarrassed me lol. Although he was at wot and me just decelerating.

Wanta4v: It's all good man, I love his EVO too. Thing looks sick! :rockon:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yeah I don't see me hanging with him either lol. Your LS1 is a lot faster than my anemic 4V. I thought my top end was pretty good but nope that SRT8 300 is pretty fast up top. Your car sounds strong.

All good, I was very surprised by those SRT8s, figured with the weight they wouldn't be that fast. Lol

Any track times from the cobra? You might not be that far behind in traps.. I always underestimate the older 4v cars.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Did you get a stronger clutch put in so you can launch it hard? I know you mentioned in a few threads that you were on the stock clutch and that you were going easy on it. Your car is probably the nicest evo that I've seen, you should post some pics of it in the pics and videos buffet.

Sorry for the thread jack OP, nice runs

....thats the only thing i didnt upgrade...after the wheels,bumper, turbo and supporting mods (bigger injectors and fuel pump), i didnt have anything left over for a clutch so it looks like im still going to be a roll racing slut for a little longer... :(

OP sorry for the hijack...carry on. :beer:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
All good, I was very surprised by those SRT8s, figured with the weight they wouldn't be that fast. Lol

Any track times from the cobra? You might not be that far behind in traps.. I always underestimate the older 4v cars.

Yeah same here. Crazy. They get about 13MPG city lol that's gotta suck.

Nah man no track times. Never ran it at the track. I plan to do so soon. Any tips? ha. Hmm well I'll be happy if I can muster a high 13 with DR's since I've never been to the track. With the gears though and some practice I'm sure it will be better. I always underestimate the older 4v cars too. I was at a Subaru meet tonight and I'm pretty sure every subaru owner there was underestimating it. I'd love to run the Stage 1 and stage 2 STi's from a roll though. My top end is a lot better. My friend won't run his stage 1 against mine because he knows the outcome haha.

Damn gears are gonna ruin my top end though. One of the reasons I've been holding back on the install. I have all the pieces just haven't done it ha.

BlueByYou2004

Established Member
....thats the only thing i didnt upgrade...after the wheels,bumper, turbo and supporting mods (bigger injectors and fuel pump), i didnt have anything left over for a clutch so it looks like im still going to be a roll racing slut for a little longer... :(

OP sorry for the hijack...carry on. :beer:

Gotta love JDM rears. I always hated being the only country that didn't get them. I've owned 2 GG 9 MR's personally and I love that rear.

Back on topic, I haven't driven a stock 300C SRT8, but I have a Charger SRT8, and it actually moved pretty good considering the massive boat of a car that it is. The brakes on those cars are pretty sweet too. I was shocked at the braking power. Still felt like a land yacht while driving it though.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yeah same here. Crazy. They get about 13MPG city lol that's gotta suck.

Nah man no track times. Never ran it at the track. I plan to do so soon. Any tips? ha. Hmm well I'll be happy if I can muster a high 13 with DR's since I've never been to the track. With the gears though and some practice I'm sure it will be better. I always underestimate the older 4v cars too. I was at a Subaru meet tonight and I'm pretty sure every subaru owner there was underestimating it. I'd love to run the Stage 1 and stage 2 STi's from a roll though. My top end is a lot better. My friend won't run his stage 1 against mine because he knows the outcome haha.

Damn gears are gonna ruin my top end though. One of the reasons I've been holding back on the install. I have all the pieces just haven't done it ha.
Wish I could help you with the driving. I pretty fail at it myself and I have no experience with those OHC setups. All I do know is they love rpms and they are not as forgiving if you bog the launches.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Wish I could help you with the driving. I pretty fail at it myself and I have no experience with those OHC setups. All I do know is they love rpms and they are not as forgiving if you bog the launches.
Haha it's all good. Yeah I'm slowly learning ha. I don't really race much. Those are the only 2 races I've ever been in. On top of that the Cobra is my first manual car ever. They sure do love RPMs :)
I was going to wait until I got DR's to go practice at the track but I'm considering just going on street tires because I need to get my 2-3 shift down a lot better lol.

Back on topic, I haven't driven a stock 300C SRT8, but I have a Charger SRT8, and it actually moved pretty good considering the massive boat of a car that it is. The brakes on those cars are pretty sweet too. I was shocked at the braking power. Still felt like a land yacht while driving it though.

The SRT8 Charger's are pretty fast. I've seen a couple run mid 12's here, all in the same night just this past Friday. That's my feeling towards the 2010 GT's (I almost traded in my Cobra for one), they feel like big ferry boats, I'm now imagining how those pig SRT8's must feel. I agree on the brakes on those, very good brake set up indeed.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
As O.P said, they are the same but the NE pull harder the higher the RPM.

honestly i dont think u did that bad in the cobra...i thought it wud be worse for you! ur cobra definetly moves out!
+1 Considering it was an older Cobra. It could've been worse for you O.P

I barely edge one when I had my 01 engine but I had more mods than you, he also had a passenger which most likely lead to my win. Fast car's for being big and stay away from the new 392 SRT-8's. Those races will get really ugly for you.

Users who are viewing this thread