Cobra Vs. Shelby

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
What would you rather have a Shelby Mustang or a Cobra Mustang. Personally I would want a Shelby because they haven't made a shelby mustang for a long time and maybe never will again.

jshen

Established Member
Cobra Mustang!

Anything Shelby puts his name on results in an increase in price.....

PGreenSVT

Established Member
03soniccobra01 said:
I looked at a shelby roadster and it was put together like a POS. Quality is none!

A true Shelby Roadster or a replica. True original roadsters are hard to come by. Remember they are early 60's technology and had no creature comforts. The only idea was to stuff a big V8 in a little light weight roadster and go fast as hell. Anyone who owns one acknowledges that they are death traps.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
i think its an asinine question. i dont buy cars based upon name. how about some thoretical specs.

duane v

Established Member
Carrol Shelby all the way...he put Ford on the hot rod map, and if Shelby outs out a stang for $50k, Ill buy one...DA snake boy!!!

duane v

Established Member
TomBoJangles said:
i think its an asinine question. i dont buy cars based upon name. how about some thoretical specs.
And theory isnt a good map either...how about real life track numbers...DA snake boy!!!

69hahaha

Established Member
PGreenSVT said:
A true Shelby Roadster or a replica. True original roadsters are hard to come by. Remember they are early 60's technology and had no creature comforts. The only idea was to stuff a big V8 in a little light weight roadster and go fast as hell. Anyone who owns one acknowledges that they are death traps.

I think he might be refering to the Shelby Series 1. Pretty neat car but left alot to be desired and I had also heard that the quality wasn't up to par.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
duane v said:
And theory isnt a good map either...how about real life track numbers...DA snake boy!!!

since i cant write a check for either, simply because they havent been released, all we have is theory

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
benchpress450lb said:
The Shelby Mustang was a Cobra?...how so? None of the Shelby Mustangs I know of were cobra's?

None ever were. Because the Cobra emblem was on the side of the Mustang, Ford issued the name to the car in the 70's to boost sales(and vinyl sticker maker stock). The snake on the Shelby Mustangs was to represent the association of Shelby's trademark to the mack dady 'real' cobra. The actual name Cobra should of never been used on a Mustang, I always hated it. Most likely the name will not be used again on the new Mustangs, due to the new 'regime' being very devoted to true Mustang heritage, and the likelyhood of a 'true' Cobra possibly coming from Ford down the road.

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
KevinB120 said:
None ever were. Because the Cobra emblem was on the side of the Mustang, Ford issued the name to the car in the 70's to boost sales(and vinyl sticker maker stock). The snake on the Shelby Mustangs was to represent the association of Shelby's trademark to the mack dady 'real' cobra. The actual name Cobra should of never been used on a Mustang, I always hated it. Most likely the name will not be used again on the new Mustangs, due to the new 'regime' being very devoted to true Mustang heritage, and the likelyhood of a 'true' Cobra possibly coming from Ford down the road.[/QUOTE

I think you need to go back and read your automotive history encyclopedia :read: be-for posting answers like that :nono:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
icu812 said:
KevinB120 said:
None ever were. Because the Cobra emblem was on the side of the Mustang, Ford issued the name to the car in the 70's to boost sales(and vinyl sticker maker stock). The snake on the Shelby Mustangs was to represent the association of Shelby's trademark to the mack dady 'real' cobra. The actual name Cobra should of never been used on a Mustang, I always hated it. Most likely the name will not be used again on the new Mustangs, due to the new 'regime' being very devoted to true Mustang heritage, and the likelyhood of a 'true' Cobra possibly coming from Ford down the road.[/QUOTE

I think you need to go back and read your automotive history encyclopedia :read: be-for posting answers like that :nono:

There were no Cobra labeled Mustangs untill the Mustang II. The 350GT(and R, H and S model types), 500GT and KR were never called Cobras. They were just decorations on the car signifying Shelby's involvement(the cobra itself is part of Shelby's badge). The cobra jet engine line is not the name of the Mustang model either, nor was it used in all Shebly models.

Cobra II appeared in 1976 as a stripe and apearance package with a 140hp 302V8. In 78 they added the King Cobra with even more stickers and a whopper 134HP 302 as the top motor. Reappeared with 140hp in 79(hatch only) and was offered untill 81 at the low point of 120hp. And of course at SVTP, we all know where Cobra was applied from 93 on....... :read:

Last edited:

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
I know I spelled it that whay for a reason!
why don't you go correct the other 6000 post that have major mispronunciations and hyphenated spellings.
you need some spelling lessons also LOL

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I can only speak of my own experience,, but I would prefer to keep Shelby in the past. Give me an SVT Cobra.

As for the cars being called Cobras... My car is called a "1968 Shelby Cobra GT 500." This is the name that is found on the owners manual, various spots on the car, and the advertising that was done in 1968. You can't go back and rewrite history.

Users who are viewing this thread