Cobra Vs. Shelby

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
Ok say it was a choice between a 450 horse S/C cobra from ford or a light weight 340-350 horse N/A 4 valve motor car from shelby.

if thats the case i will buy both. i would use the cobra with a solid rear end and a auto tranny for drag racing. i would take the shelby with a manual tranny and IRS and go road racing.

in my opinion the biggest differnece is not the engine. its the drivetrain and rear end configuration that makes one car better suited for drag racing or road racing than another.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
SL 1993 R said:
I can only speak of my own experience,, but I would prefer to keep Shelby in the past. Give me an SVT Cobra.

As for the cars being called Cobras... My car is called a "1968 Shelby Cobra GT 500." This is the name that is found on the owners manual, various spots on the car, and the advertising that was done in 1968. You can't go back and rewrite history.

Yep. I had an early '67 GT350, owner's manual: "1967 Shelby Cobra GT 350", and a '69 GT500 Convertible: "1969 Shelby Cobra GT 500".

As an additional note, Cobra badges were on the car denoting GT350 or GT500, and if I remember right, the Cobra badges were indicative of the "Cobra-Jet" engines under the hood.
Sooooo, no hokey badging to sell the Shelbys.

My opinion? In my heart of hearts, I would like another Shelby, but when it comes down to it, I don't care if you call it a Hoover, so long as it doesn't suck!!! :lol:

Last edited:

PGreenSVT

Established Member
Yeah, I had a 67 Shelby Cobra GT500. It was clearly called and marketted as a "Cobra". I just wish I still had it. And I agree with the above post. I would love to see another Shelby Cobra GT500 with the 500 signifying 500 hp. But I don't really care what the name is as long as they build it right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread