Cobras more valuable?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
swlacobra said:
it doesnt make much difference to me now, im 56 yrs old, so in 30 years it probably wont make ANY difference. i'm enjoying mine now
HeeHee! I was thinking the very same thing when I first read the thread!
:beer:

NA P-51D

Established Member
I hope there will still be a Barrett-Jackson Showcase of Cars in 20 or 30 years, so I can sell my cherry '04 Terminator, and buy that new 70th Anniversary 2035 1000 h.p. Mustang. :lol:

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
NA P-51D said:
I hope there will still be a Barrett-Jackson Showcase of Cars in 20 or 30 years, so I can sell my cherry '04 Terminator, and buy that new 70th Anniversary 2035 1000 h.p. Mustang. :lol:

Haha did you watch it tonight that 427 vett went for 151,000.

NA P-51D

Established Member
Yeah, I am hooked on that show. I can't wait to see the price for the '65 Fastback Mustang "Crazy Horse" that was built by Boyd Coddington on American HotRod. I can't believe Mike Gidrey is selling that car, because he had it built for his wife. :shrug:

Skywarp

Established Member
How many cars are going to survive 20-30 years? Probably not many. The daily driver wrecked by the teenage kid-gone. Natural disasters like hurricanes, etc-totaled. Then last but not least theft. How many Terminators have been taken out of the game because of theft? Twenty to thirty years from now who will have a clean car? Look at the survivor cars of the 60s and 70s. We have a great tuner car that if kept clean will more than likely appreciate in value. The next Cobra in 07 is uncertain. How many here would buy the car if priced at $45K-$50K? People who couldn't afford it would look back to the Terminator.

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
I could care less about 20-30 years from now what my cobra is worth because I'm going to drive the hell out of it now and have fun, you only live once....

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Whiskey City said:
SVT isn't dead.

Cobras will increase in value...in 30 to 40 years.

SVT is dead. Even if it wasn't these cars will eventually increase in value due to their platform.

tapout632

Established Member
So it's pretty much CONFIRMED that SVT is no more? This is shocking to me. I don't know... something tells me that we'll be surprised in March for the 07 Cobra because it said it was "SVT" and they were working on it. But where are the Camaros/Firebirds? Nobody thought the F-body would be gone so maybe it is true. Everybody speculates on the 07 but I really don't think anything has been confirmed yet, let alone even be in production seeing as they still have 1 year to even make a concept vehicle.

Last edited:

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Nothing will become a boat anchor as the result of a car with styling that a lot of people can't stand... especially if it doesn't have the SVT badge on it, anymore.

Seeing as how values really began to tank even after the introduction of the new body style GT, I respectfully disagree. It's the natural progression of newer body styles that causes the last year's model to lose favor in the market. The main reason why we aren't in the teens for value is because there is no Cobra heritage yet...after that comes out the prices of the Terminators will be like a "boat anchor", or start heading for the bottom.

I know people take this subject seriously and quite personally on this board, but the market is very fickle. My car is worth $10K+ more to me than what the market is currently offering, so I'm definitely keeping it. I may even keep it when the new ones come out, but I will most likely be past their power levels when that happens...which will be poetic. There is something to be said for development time and actual over-the-road enjoyment while waiting for a supposed "better" car to come out.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
SVT is dead. Even if it wasn't these cars will eventually increase in value due to their platform.

The 1993 Cobra seems to be coming to a bottom and turning slightly. Have you priced a very nice original 93 Cobra recently? They can bring what they were new, or very close to their original MSRP $19K. The key is nice, low mile and original "as it came from Ford condition". As these cars (Cobra's) get older and fewer, they are what people will want if they are shopping for a Mustang from this era. There is no magic, newer cars, unless they are very limited/special production cars dive in the first few years. Even the R's as limited/special production as they were/are got caught in this fact of life. But there is light, I have a friend of who has a BOSS429 he tried to sell in 1981, the car was nice, original with a set of headers added. He struggled for 6-12 months to get $1500 out of it. It was an 11 year old Mustang. He ended up keeping it because the offers were lower than he wanted for the car, $1200 etc. He still has the car, the exhaust manifolds are back on it and it is a $50K to $65K condition car. Late model muscle cars are a "long haul item" if you plan to make money/invest in them. Remember, all of the vintage muscle cars were "late models" at one time.

Robert

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
tapout632 said:
So it's pretty much CONFIRMED that SVT is no more? This is shocking to me. I don't know... something tells me that we'll be surprised in March for the 07 Cobra because it said it was "SVT" and they were working on it. But where are the Camaros/Firebirds? Nobody thought the F-body would be gone so maybe it is true. Everybody speculates on the 07 but I really don't think anything has been confirmed yet, let alone even be in production seeing as they still have 1 year to even make a concept vehicle.

No, what's confirmed is that the program will continue. How it will continue is the big question of the day.

Think about it. Scratch almost every project. Roll back to a retro style car. Introduce Mr. Shelby back into the picture.

They're trying to make the new Cobra (Shelby's) compete head to head with the new Z06 and Viper. It's that simple. To do that they have to dump the SVT name and give the new Mustang Cobra a different nameplate.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
PlatinumCobra said:
No, what's confirmed is that the program will continue. How it will continue is the big question of the day.

Think about it. Scratch almost every project. Roll back to a retro style car. Introduce Mr. Shelby back into the picture.

They're trying to make the new Cobra (Shelby's) compete head to head with the new Z06 and Viper. It's that simple. To do that they have to dump the SVT name and give the new Mustang Cobra a different nameplate.
I tend to agree with what you're saying, although I do believe that SVT's future is different from what we've known, especially with the departure of John Coletti. SVT is reportedly gearing towards performance versions of other Ford models (even the heavier weighted SUVs and trucks) but I would think that once they remove the Lightning and Cobra that SVT will lose its appeal to the muscle car customer. That's just my opinion. Maybe they're just re-focusing on a broader performance market. I see in the Motor Trend article side-bar that they're thinking about doing an SVT Fusion with up to 300hp. Think they're gearing up for the NOPI crowd with this idea?

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
tapout632 said:

Yeah where are the firebirds and camaros I heard they were coming back in 2-3 years but haven’t heard anything more.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Invest your money in a 401k or CD if you wanna make money not car's...i bought it to drive the hell out of it..25k and counting..

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
WTF... the damn car will probably outlive me. If i'm alive in 30 years, that's reward enough.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
BLWN03 said:
Invest your money in a 401k or CD if you wanna make money not car's...i bought it to drive the hell out of it..25k and counting..

That's what my friends told me in 1999 when I bought my first of three 71 429 Mach 1's. I paid $14.500 for the first car and sold it two years ago for $38.500. I had about $17,000 in it. The same with the other two 71-429's, one was purchased in 2000 for $16,500, I had approx. $17,500 in it, sold in 2003 for $25,000 and the other purchased in 2001 for $16,500, sold in 2003 for $25,500. I know that my 401K and/or CD did not in anyway match that performance, and I get to enjoy them (the cars) much more than the money I have in an account, somewhere, I think?

Robert

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
CarpetCityCobra said:
Seeing as how values really began to tank even after the introduction of the new body style GT, I respectfully disagree. It's the natural progression of newer body styles that causes the last year's model to lose favor in the market. The main reason why we aren't in the teens for value is because there is no Cobra heritage yet...after that comes out the prices of the Terminators will be like a "boat anchor", or start heading for the bottom.

I know people take this subject seriously and quite personally on this board, but the market is very fickle. My car is worth $10K+ more to me than what the market is currently offering, so I'm definitely keeping it. I may even keep it when the new ones come out, but I will most likely be past their power levels when that happens...which will be poetic. There is something to be said for development time and actual over-the-road enjoyment while waiting for a supposed "better" car to come out.

I saw no "tanking" of Cobra values when the new Mustang was released. If anything, selling prices have seemed to level off in the mid-20s as a result of production closing. I still have yet to see more than 3 different 2005 Mustangs in my area. I really don't think they're setting the world on fire, like we're continually being told. Either way, it doesn't matter much... I don't like the new car, I'm not paying $50k+ for a Shelby/SVT car, and my car isn't going anywhere. I'm pretty happy with that. If the SVT Cobra truely is dead, the entire Terminator saga is just gonna become more like that of the Turbo Regals.

BenD

Established Member
In 20 to 30 years??

It's very doubtful that cars will be powered by fossil fuels. Cars may have little resemblance to what we drive today. The complete reliance on fossil fuels will have to diminish dramatically somewhere in the early part of this century, but not before we are paying $10-$15/gal. The Arabs and our greedy oil companies will milk it to the last drop.

Personal Aero cars will no doubt hit the scene before 2025 in some form. A proto type is developed now and was a recent article in "Popular Mechanics" magazine. Imagine after- market shops with mods to make your Aero car faster. I think with our personal Aero car parked in the drive warming up, ready to fly to work, we would all forget about driving anything on a road.

Wild..Huh!

Users who are viewing this thread