Cobra's vs Grand Sport @ Monterey.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
2013 Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion

[youtube_browser]AaDB609Grpo[/youtube_browser]

Well the Cobra's didn't come out with the win, we took that honor for all 3 races in the Grand Sport. But being there is some great racing and some awesome footage of some Cobras, GT 350, and some other blue ovals racing. I thought I would share this video with all of you.

Yes she is a real 1963 Grand Sport. Serial Number 004.
Bruce Canepa was driving.
All the equipment you see on the car is part of the REVS Program at Stanford University. Really great program they have developed for the Automotive community.
You can read more about it here:
Revs Program at Stanford | Connecting the past, present and future of the automobile

As for the video, it's just a few seconds of skipping around the warm up lap and then we go right into the action, the actual race. 4 Cameras give you an all around view of what's happening.

Here was the car with the body removed, so we could test everything and visually inspect the car before we left for the race.

(I've Bled Blue my whole life, But even I am forced to admit this is one bad ass car, you can tell it was purposely built to beat the Shelby Cobra's which at this time period were dominating the racing circuits.)
GrandSportbody-Fram-overhead_zpse7d2ee0c.jpg

Another side note, the one Cobra hanging with us is not original, it has Roush parts inside so it runs better than it ever would have in period. Our car is stock like it would have been in 1963.

Hope everyone enjoys the race.

Last edited:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Thanks. It was a very good race and great weekend. I love the back camera angle of watching the cobras right on our tail.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
I was down there and was in awe of the grand sport. Ultra rare piece to be throwing around the track. We brought down the Corvette SR2 that was parked on stingray island.

Such a cool event.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I was down there and was in awe of the grand sport. Ultra rare piece to be throwing around the track. We brought down the Corvette SR2 that was parked on stingray island.

Such a cool event.

Awesome. Love your car. Then again I love any car that was specifically built for racing.

I hear ya about throwing a rare car around the track, but we have the ultimate faith in the drivers we choose.(Plus good insurance, lol)

Red94SVT

Established Member
I hear ya about throwing a rare car around the track, but we have the ultimate faith in the drivers we choose.(Plus good insurance, lol)

Thats why this is my favorite race to go to, you get to see rare purpose built cars doing what they were made for, last year a Daytona coupe crashed and the year before 15 Ferrari GTOs were racing at the same time :eek:

Great video :beer: wish I had made it this year

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Thats why this is my favorite race to go to, you get to see rare purpose built cars doing what they were made for, last year a Daytona coupe crashed and the year before 15 Ferrari GTOs were racing at the same time :eek:

Great video :beer: wish I had made it this year

Drooling at the Ferrari GTO..... :bowdown:

We have been trying so hard to get one.

We ended up buying a 1965 Ferrari 250LM Berlinetta GT instead.

(We also have a 1948 Ferrari 166 Spyder Corsa, The Very First Ferrari ever imported into the United States.)

If you love races like this one at Monterey, check out Goodwood Reunion and the Goodwood Festival of Speed. OMFG Talk about classic events!!!

We had out Mercedes Silver Arrow 1939 W 154 there last year along with the 1938 Maserati 8CTF. Talk about a glorious sound!!!! All the Auto Unions and Silver Arrows hauling around the track. (which reminds me, I need to put together a video of that race and post it.)

Oh yea Limerock Classics is another great event.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Drooling at the Ferrari GTO..... :bowdown:

We have been trying so hard to get one.

We ended up buying a 1965 Ferrari 250LM Berlinetta GT instead.

(We also have a 1948 Ferrari 166 Spyder Corsa, The Very First Ferrari ever imported into the United States.)

If you love races like this one at Monterey, check out Goodwood Reunion and the Goodwood Festival of Speed. OMFG Talk about classic events!!!

We had out Mercedes Silver Arrow 1939 W 154 there last year along with the 1938 Maserati 8CTF. Talk about a glorious sound!!!! All the Auto Unions and Silver Arrows hauling around the track. (which reminds me, I need to put together a video of that race and post it.)

Oh yea Limerock Classics is another great event.

I've been looking at a few euro cars lately. If you know of any nice cars for sale with good history and racing history PM me.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I've been looking at a few euro cars lately. If you know of any nice cars for sale with good history and racing history PM me.

We go to all the major auctions. Bonhams, Goodings, RKM, etc...

What are you looking for?

Purpose?
Racing, show, collecting?

Looking for one to be restored, already restored?
Pre WWII car or after?

So many factors. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love to watch old metal reunions like this. Thanks for posting the video.

Users who are viewing this thread