codes p0171 and p0174 01 lightning

slo89stang

SVT Fiend
Established Member
I have had these codes since I bought the truck about a month and a half ago and I am looking into taking care of these before driving to NY in a few weeks.

I have already cleaned the MAF and checked for vaccuum leaks. I am going to check the vaccuum on the EGR but are there any other things i need to look at?

thanks guys.

slo89stang

SVT Fiend
Established Member
alright so it sounds like there is a massive vacuum leak on the backside of the intake just cant see if its a hose or the intake.

it sounds like its coming from the passenger side where the one hose t's off the Idle air control and goes to the back of the engine. I pulled the hose from the IAC and plugged it and the hose running to the back of the engine and got vacuum from both hoses.

why would there be air sucking on both sides, if i am thinking of this right when its connected they would be pulling air in opposite directions. would this be my possible problem?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
There is a hose that goes to the back if the lower intake, It has a rubber elbow and thats more than likely where the problem is. Here is a pic of the lower area where the elbow is.

Last edited:

slo89stang

SVT Fiend
Established Member
matt...i think thats where the noise is coming from.

how would i get to the back of the intake? reach in from the drivers side possibly?

by chance do you know when the hose comes out of the lower intake where it might go? here is a picture of the t-hose that is the problem. its the one going back towards the firewall. i will edit the picture if no one can make out the hose.

cid__0316002010.gif

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
matt...i think thats where the noise is coming from.

how would i get to the back of the intake? reach in from the drivers side possibly?

by chance do you know when the hose comes out of the lower intake where it might go? here is a picture of the t-hose that is the problem. its the one going back towards the firewall. i will edit the picture if no one can make out the hose.
The hose comes out of the lower intake up the fire wall to the passengers side of the engine, it meets a T and goes to the plenum. Its the hose thats wraped in foam in the picture

I also have the P0171 code & it says its running lean on cyl 1. What is the fix for that code?
If your only getting the 171 code it more than likely is a bad front 02 sensor, Easy way to find out is to, clear code then put the drivers side 02 sensor on the passengers side and passengers onn the drivers side. drive it a bit and check code, if you now see the 174 code you know its the 02 sensor.

Nautilusvt

Converted
Established Member
I also have the P0171 code & it says its running lean on cyl 1. What is the fix for that code?

Cyl 1 or bank 1? Most likely a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the 02 sensor on bank 1. I believe thats the passenger side, but double check that. If it's not also throwing a PO174 that means the problem is isolated to bank 1 and it should not be on the intake side as that will normally throw both codes. Start with tightening up the exhaust just to be sure, if you can get under the car with the engine running you may even be able to hear it. If you have a tuner with the ability to monitor short term fuel trims you can watch it in real time which will make the process of finding it much easier.

slo89stang

SVT Fiend
Established Member
i got the problem fixed last night. the elbow behind the engine on the lower intake had a hole in it that you could fit a nickle in.

thanks for the help guys. That pic made the job a ton easier.

Users who are viewing this thread