Coil Overs on 03 Cobra

El Culebra

Established Member
Just thought I'd post this on coil overs.

I bought Griggs Racing coil overs and as my first mod. I was very pleased than I noticed some noise which after a while was nerve racking. at the same time I bought Potenza S03 35 series this time I went to the 40 series. Well I had to raise the car a little each coil over consists of Koni struts and Griggs hardware I began to loosen the set screw on the spring perch well it just froze I couln't get it off. I decided to buy a new set of coil overs only this time I went with Maximum Motorsports coil overs which use Bilestien system with Hypercoils with a slightly higher rating. Much better ride and handling my front struts are still Koni which I have no problems with.

Apex Motorsports performed the install at that time I had explained to the staff about Max Motorsports, and the staff there just bad mouthed them making big claims about Griggs.
I like there work but it seems like since business is good there sound judgement is affected they were going to charge me $100 just to raise the car I said to my self "F*$k that I just did the work my self. I will still use them for certain services but as least as possible. coil overs make your car ride like a Porche but please do your home work so that you can enjoy your beasts.

I'm not trying to bad mouth Apex, and Griggs but the truth is the truth I to was a Griggs fan until the crappy rear set up went south this less than a year.

:idea:

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
I have griggs everything on my car and love it. Obviously everythoing doesnt include a panhard bar and torque arm on our cobras. I get NO noise whatsoever. I have a feeling you had a bad set.

The only noise I get now is when I bottom out my collectors on my kooks longtube headers.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by jonas
I have griggs everything on my car and love it. Obviously everythoing doesnt include a panhard bar and torque arm on our cobras. I get NO noise whatsoever. I have a feeling you had a bad set.

The only noise I get now is when I bottom out my collectors on my kooks longtube headers.
I love the way your car sits. She looks sweet in the pics you've posted. :beer: When my warranty is up I'd like to go with coil overs.

Do you have any pics handy?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have full MM suspension on my 03 and am very happy with the quality and performance. The only rubber left is on the rear UCA and LCA and I don't have any noises at all from my suspension.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I believe toofast is "hopless" with his setup, although he has also done the urethane IRS bushings and differential bushings.

JWC

Established Member
WorkHorse09, I have the MM coil over set up and it did stop the wheel hop. The ride is also much better that stock, the car feels like it should have from the factory. I put a slight pitch to the rear when I set up the ride height.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
What kind of pricing are we talking about and is there a link to some info? I would love to improve the handling,ride, and of course the wheel hop.
Thanks Mike

El Culebra

Established Member
Thank you all for your replies. In terms of price I spent $1300 for parts and labor.

Wheel hop is reduced when you improve the suspension with the coil over system.

after awhile I got a clunking noise what causes it is the metal to metal the struts are attached to racing mounts which holds the strut and then the spherical bearing on the bottom of the control arm after a while it will cause noise. I have the Griggs up no problems.

For the rear I went with the MM Bilestien Cobra R 2K shock Hypercoil 8 by 525 lbs it rides great not to tight nor to loose. Cornering is to roll for but not. my tires don't even rub at a un even road at high speeds. The car's stance is excellent from an esthetic point of view.

Who knows may be I got a bad set? If you just got them you may not have the noise now but the laws of physics will change that over time.

By the way the urathane bushings really help the wheel hop.
mm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread