coilpack? wires? cylinder? WHAT IS THE PROBLEMMM

Nickynick

Established Member
so i noticed laggish throttle response after i changed plugs and wires. i thought i had bad cylinders because i did the sparkplug test, pull one by one, and 7 and 8 when pulled didnt cause engine to fiddle so i figured piston rings? Thats the first dilema..

NOW i noticed that 7/8 were crossed to the coils, so i fixed them and started her up, and my throttle response was Way better, there was instant power instead of a fraction of a sec where it needed to catch up with my foot. but i did the spark plug test again and still no engine stall, but i have better power?.....

HELP!

96 cobra duralast wires and e3 plugs

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
I have seen V8's run on only 4 cylinders before(1/2 the spark plug wires off)so removing one or two wires won't stall your car but the idle should go down the same amount for each cylinder.Pull and recheck your spark plugs and switch wires with known good one(s) to trouble shoot, and of course a compression check if needed.

mysteed

Established Member
Return the crappy plug wires & terribly crappy E3 plugs. Get a quality set of Motorcraft plugs & Motorcraft plug wires.

Nickynick

Established Member
My first guess would be the durajunk wires

Return the crappy plug wires & terribly crappy E3 plugs. Get a quality set of Motorcraft plugs & Motorcraft plug wires.

lol i know i had an emergency situation and all advanced auto had for this car was those durajunks and the e3s, didnt wanna mix/match. whats a good mm wire size? is bigger better if theres not much more than stock?

I have seen V8's run on only 4 cylinders before(1/2 the spark plug wires off)so removing one or two wires won't stall your car but the idle should go down the same amount for each cylinder.Pull and recheck your spark plugs and switch wires with known good one(s) to trouble shoot, and of course a compression check if needed.

they are all brand new wires, and not stall, but they all idle different except those 2. theres spark form the wire, but no change in idle

mysteed

Established Member
I believe that the stock size is 8mm. I have a good used set of blue Motorcraft plug wires if you want them.

Nickynick

Established Member
is that the 8.5s? how much do you want for em? do u have the seperator clips with em, mine are ****ed

Nickynick

Established Member
sounds good, i left my email on your page for now untill i get posts. but what causes the engine not wanting to change when i pull those 2?

mysteed

Established Member
That means you aren't getting spark on those two cylinders. So the problem is going to be with the spark plug wires, spark plugs, coil packs, or a PCM issue.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
lol i know i had an emergency situation and all advanced auto had for this car was those durajunks

NegaTron Homie, Advance doesn't carry that junk..... that's Busch league Auto Zone. The Duralast wires are $70.99 at Auto Zone, the Autolite Professional wires are $172.99 At Advance and the Motorcraft Wires are $122 at Advance.

Nickynick

Established Member
NegaTron Homie, Advance doesn't carry that junk..... that's Busch league Auto Zone. The Duralast wires are $70.99 at Auto Zone, the Autolite Professional wires are $172.99 At Advance and the Motorcraft Wires are $122 at Advance.

whatever i cant remember it was like 8 at night, and yes i did remember getting ripped off.

Check the gap on the plugs then. If the gap was not checked prior to installation you need to do that ASAP.

i wouldnt know how to do this nor do i know what that means=)

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
the spark plug gap tool is like $1 at any parts store, the worker will be able to show you how to check them. its not a big deal

crazycarlo

Established Member
Ok if you installed plugs and knew nothing about gapping them or what that meant then give ur keys to someone. You don't get them back until u do some learning I'm sorry man to sound like a jerk but cmon.

Nickynick

Established Member
Ok if you installed plugs and knew nothing about gapping them or what that meant then give ur keys to someone. You don't get them back until u do some learning I'm sorry man to sound like a jerk but cmon.

is that supposed to make me cry to mommy?

1997Cobra

Established Member
uncalled for
is that supposed to make me cry to mommy?
don't mind him. As you can see, he is the only one that isn't willing to help so far.

As stated, I'd pull the plugs and wires and replace them with some quality stuff (return the other stuff if you can).

If that doesn't work, i'd test the coils next. Do you have a voltmeter

Nickynick

Established Member
uncalled for

don't mind him. As you can see, he is the only one that isn't willing to help so far.

As stated, I'd pull the plugs and wires and replace them with some quality stuff (return the other stuff if you can).

If that doesn't work, i'd test the coils next. Do you have a voltmeter

lol i give no time for those guys that are tough online and in person are probably 2 foot zero and still live with daddy.

and i do not have a voltomiter, im thinking if i just take to dealer, they can Pinpoint it so i dont throw money into things i dont need to, im just afraid that im gonna rack a huge bill. from the coil pack to the wires theres spark, but everything from sparkplug down is nothing id assume because theres no idle change. id figure tho that id get a check engine light but so far nothing..

Users who are viewing this thread