cold draft, direct vent gas fireplace

jugdish

to the op.
Couple things,(1) Make sure your glass is latched properly and sealed to the f.p. If the glass is unlatched, it is like having a window open in your house. (2) Check under the f.p. where the plumber installed his hard pipe, there might be an open space, you need to tape that off with some hvac silver tape.

Direct vent and b-vent gas f.p.'s can not have a damper because if some one forgets to open it, you can't see or smell carbon monoxide.

Keep the pilot light, it can keep the f.p. around 80-90 degrees.

Is your f.p. on a outside wall of the house? If it is check out side and caulk any gaps that could be there on that entire side of the house. You can not have insulation touching the back of the f.p. it needs clearances, but you can have that cavity insulated.

Hope this helps it applies to a lot of the natural /propane gas fireplaces out there in 15-20 year old homes.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Dumb question i have a gas fireplace and never once used it, how the heck do i fire it up? Now that im single again i gotta have a cozy pad for the ladies, so if anyone can help it looks like i need a square key on the side of the fireplace and then what just flip a switch?

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Dumb question i have a gas fireplace and never once used it, how the heck do i fire it up? Now that im single again i gotta have a cozy pad for the ladies, so if anyone can help it looks like i need a square key on the side of the fireplace and then what just flip a switch?

Mine lights from a light switch across the room...it was pretty pimp in my single days :-D.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
A lot of times home energy audits reveal that something like that is the gas line penetration has not been caulked. I would pop open the panel under the front of the unit and look.

The gas line actually comes in under the fireplace, in the basement, then comes through the floor. I think this spring I may pull the fireplace out (from inside the house) and insulate the hell out of it.

YJSONLY

Established Member

Do you have a make and model number??? They are different.... Also when was the last time you used it???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you aren't sure how to light it, you might want to call a local gas fireplace shop to do it for you. I don't like messing around with gas appliances, even gas logs/gas fireplaces. I'd rather let a pro do it. They can also review maintenance, etc. with you. Just a thought.
Can't be that expensive for a quick service call.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Most models, it's as simple as turning your valve to "Pilot", holding it in so gas comes out the valve and hitting your igniter a few times. Once the pilot is lit, keep holding your knob in for a good minute. It should then stay on. If not you could need to replace your pilot assembly or have it cleaned. If you can't get the pilot to fire off you made need to check, clean or replace the orifice.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
On a direct vent there is no damper.... And it being a vented log (no ODS pilot) you are kinda stuck. Do you have glass door on it ?? Or can they be added to help some?..... I have direct vented systems they are terrible by design!

I play Hank Hill everyday.

Pretty much. Logs require an operating damper, even vent free. Basically, if you can't burn wood in it, you can't put a log set in.

A direct vent fireplace will have a sealed chamber and no damper. They rely on a blower to circulate as much heat as possible because you're going to lose a decent amount of it right out the venting.

I know you said its a newer unit but I'd make sure that the chamber is sealed up tight with no leaks. The gasket around the glass has a tendency to wear out causing leaks. Also as others have said, what type of care was taken by the installers behind the box goes a long way.

On the outside wall, we typically use milpak or something similar to seal around the vent. Inside we use a high temp, fire rated insulation. Sealant goes around any gaps in the hole where gas line comes into the box. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do because no matter what, you have an open flow of air directly outside with the venting.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Pretty much. Logs require an operating damper, even vent free. Basically, if you can't burn wood in it, you can't put a log set in.

A direct vent fireplace will have a sealed chamber and no damper. They rely on a blower to circulate as much heat as possible because you're going to lose a decent amount of it right out the venting.

I know you said its a newer unit but I'd make sure that the chamber is sealed up tight with no leaks. The gasket around the glass has a tendency to wear out causing leaks. Also as others have said, what type of care was taken by the installers behind the box goes a long way.

On the outside wall, we typically use milpak or something similar to seal around the vent. Inside we use a high temp, fire rated insulation. Sealant goes around any gaps in the hole where gas line comes into the box. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do because no matter what, you have an open flow of air directly outside with the venting.

We install vent free logs all the time in ventless boxes (no chimney). Might not be legal we're you are but here in Florida they are all over.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
We install vent free logs all the time in ventless boxes (no chimney). Might not be legal we're you are but here in Florida they are all over.

Probably so. I know in Maryland it's gotta be a fully functional fireplace (ie capable of burning wood) in order for it to be within regs. Most people around here won't pony up the cash for a MD approved ventless box.

You wouldn't believe how many homes I've been in with people running vent free heaters two feet from their bed, using it as primary heat lol.

Last edited:

YJSONLY

Established Member
Probably so. I know in Maryland it's gotta be a fully functional fireplace (ie capable of burning wood) in order for it to be within regs. Most people around here won't pony up the cash for a MD approved ventless box.

You wouldn't believe how many homes I've been in with people running vent free heaters two feet from their bed, using it as primary heat lol.

What about a fish fryer as a source of heat!!! Seen that! With the 20 pound tank right beside it.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
What about a fish fryer as a source of heat!!! Seen that! With the 20 pound tank right beside it.

Haha, I can't say that I've seen that yet. I do enjoy coming across garden hose as gas piping though. Slap some band clamps on it and enjoy lol.

People are nuts, that's for sure. Made even worse now that people can go into lowes and buy a 100# tank and "self certification" csst:bash:

YJSONLY

Established Member
Haha, I can't say that I've seen that yet. I do enjoy coming across garden hose as gas piping though. Slap some band clamps on it and enjoy lol.

People are nuts, that's for sure. Made even worse now that people can go into lowes and buy a 100# tank and "self certification" csst:bash:

For $2 you are csst expert! Luckily they haven't brought it to my local box stores yet.... I think the state of Florida has put a stop on it. I think because the csst that box stores have is not listed I think but I am not for sure. My uncle sits on the Florida gas council .... Garden hose and clamps what's wrong with that??lol I did run into PVC with about 6 fittings (bushings and male by flare and some others) to flare with copper. And this was a "gas guy" 50 years ago. Lmao. No wander why that company bought so many houses!

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
For $2 you are csst expert! Luckily they haven't brought it to my local box stores yet.... I think the state of Florida has put a stop on it. I think because the csst that box stores have is not listed I think but I am not for sure. My uncle sits on the Florida gas council .... Garden hose and clamps what's wrong with that??lol I did run into PVC with about 6 fittings (bushings and male by flare and some others) to flare with copper. And this was a "gas guy" 50 years ago. Lmao. No wander why that company bought so many houses!

Haha good times!

Always nice to meet another Gas Guy :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread