Cold Tires

Sparko

Established Member
Just a word of warning on the Goodyear F1 tires...they have NO TRACTION in cold weather...none at all! I was driving yesterday in NJ with an outside temp of about 40 degrees...I had been out maybe 40 minutes doing a combination of local and highway driving. I started to accelerate on a highway in 3rd gear...fairly hard in 3rd... and the car went totally sideways and started to fish tail . I was going in a straight line when I accelerated. I got out of the throttle and controlled the slide but wow! I have done the same thing when it was 80degrees outside and had no issues at all.

I tried the same manuever again later in the day ( it was actually kinda fun ) and the same thing happened in 3rd gear. I can't imagine what 1st or 2nd gear would be like.

Has anyone experienced this ? Did anyone switch over to the Michelin Super Sport tires yet ? If so are they any better in cold weather .

Njtony

Established Member
Just a word of warning on the Goodyear F1 tires...they have NO TRACTION in cold weather...none at all! I was driving yesterday in NJ with an outside temp of about 40 degrees...I had been out maybe 40 minutes doing a combination of local and highway driving. I started to accelerate on a highway in 3rd gear...fairly hard in 3rd... and the car went totally sideways and started to fish tail . I was going in a straight line when I accelerated. I got out of the throttle and controlled the slide but wow! I have done the same thing when it was 80degrees outside and had no issues at all.

I tried the same manuever again later in the day ( it was actually kinda fun ) and the same thing happened in 3rd gear. I can't imagine what 1st or 2nd gear would be like.

Has anyone experienced this ? Did anyone switch over to the Michelin Super Sport tires yet ? If so are they any better in cold weather .
Picked up some nitto dr 305/20 which lessened this problem. Its a real sphincter tightener when it happens isn't it?

Sparko

Established Member
Picked up some nitto dr 305/20 which lessened this problem. Its a real sphincter tightener when it happens isn't it?

It shocked me...i knew even in warm temps that 1st and 2nd were a waste but to light them up with a 3rd gear 40mph punch was startling. One thing I learned about this car is you had better respect that power! Ill give the Nittos a look when it's replace time ( at this rate in 2K miles ).

Sparko

Established Member
It is a known fact that these tires suck in cold temps. Hell, I spin in first and second gear without even getting on the throttle.

I knew the cold tires were a problem but I had been driving awhile and thought the tire temps were ok...WRONG. I'll be putting this car away until April I think.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
We actually went out to a long, flat local bridge over a large lake to do 60-130 pulls last night. On the asphalt, in ~50-55* temps, the car would blow off the tires from a ~40 mph roll. Obviously, it worked better on concrete.
S.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I have the Mich Pilot Super Sports. They are night and day opposite of the Goodyears.
I have driven with temps in the upper 30's with no spin at all. I put the original tires back on for storage for the winter, drove to the gas station to fill up, and was spinning everywhere while making a deliberate effort to not spin air temp was 57 degrees. The Goodyear F1's are very dangerous tires to drive with with air temps below 50 degrees.

VaporDude

Established Member
I beleive there is a tag in the door that says not to drive the car in temps 40 and below. I never take mine out when the temp dips below 50 but I will take a look at the MPSS tires when it is time to change them.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Sidewall can crack on these tires if driven at lower then 40F temps also, they took the time to issue service bulletins for that matter.

JDJ

Established Member
YES, YES, and YES. Goodyear you are fired... Kinda of sad to purchase a 60K car then be forced drop another $1200, just to drive the car. I would have been happy to just get a tire credit for the Badyears tires. I went with the Continentals DWS all season. Great tire for my location.

03reptile

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Sports are SUMMER TIRES!! You would have to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (A/S) tire to be safe driving in <40 degree temps. No designated summer tire is safe in the winter months...period. If you insist on driving in cold temps, you need to buy a designated ALL SEASON radial. What most seem to miss is the fact that your stopping ability and road adhesion ability suffer, as well. (read stopping and cornering); So if you think you're OK if you are just careful, you are fooling yourself. Someone pulls out, you slam on the brakes and slide right into them. I've had three Shelbys. I drove them all during cold months and I put All Season tires on every one of them. You're an accident waiting for a place to happen if you drive these cars during cold weather on ANY summer designated tire. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I plan on driving all winter if the roads are clear. The Goodyears are slippery, just use common sence and throttle control. Drove the other morning when the temp was 18F and damp roads. Car is too fun not to drive.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Sports are SUMMER TIRES!! You would have to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (A/S) tire to be safe driving in <40 degree temps. No designated summer tire is safe in the winter months...period. If you insist on driving in cold temps, you need to buy a designated ALL SEASON radial. What most seem to miss is the fact that your stopping ability and road adhesion ability suffer, as well. (read stopping and corning); So if you think you're OK if you are just careful, you are fooling yourself. Someone pulls out, you slam on the brakes and slide right into them. I've had three Shelbys. I drove them all during cold months and I put All Season tires on every one of them. You're an accident waiting for a place to happen if you drive these cars during cold weather on ANY summer designated tire. Nuff said.

Keep this in mind even if you put DR's on the rear - The stock front Goodyears will slide right out from under you if you take an off-ramp/turn too quick.:uh oh:

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
I live in Texas when it is warm most of the time. Even on hotter days, I find the car fishtailing quite a bit. I agree that these tires tend to suck. Also, I am worried that they will never pass our state inspection as the tread is very thin - even on new tires. I would be interested to hear what other people are doing for replacement tires.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
With snow in the forecast and temps going down well under freezing levels I don't have to worry too much about the Shelby tires, today it went to sleep till warmer weather will come. April is not going to be here soon enough.

zaguhary.jpg

yjuty7u8.jpg

6a4y8yge.jpg

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
And, Farmer Ted, you are an accident waiting to happen. I hope you don't hurt yourself or someone else with that cavalier attitude.

I appreciate your concern for the well being of me and others around me when I drive. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread