Collector Car Insurance Recommendations

cdurbin328

CDurbin328
Established Member
I currently have my 03 Vert (16k miles) insured through State Farm with my other vehicles and I'm pretty sure they are raping me on my premium. I only drive the car every now and then on nice days and to local car shows and stuff. I have an old junk truck that I daily. Who do you guys use for collector car insurance? Hagerty, Grundy? Just curious who you think is better. Especially if I ever were to need to file a claim ( GOD forbid). Also curious what you guys would value my car at with 16k miles and basic bolt on mods. The car is near mint.
Thanks!

lilsilverponey

Established Member
I'm in the process of getting Grundy right now. For those who have it, did you have to do anything besides the online process to get your coverage?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Skitz tells us how you really feel.

lmao.......over the years, dealing with insurance companies for the cars, home, medical and dental have been one big cluster ****. Everything is great until you might find yourself in the unfortunate circumstances that necessitate your need to file a claim. When you have to fight for every penny, it gets old, very fast.

cdurbin328

CDurbin328
Established Member
The only two things that concern me with Grundy is that the quote says that you can't just drive it to run "errands" and it can't be a backup vehicle. Sometimes I just want to drive it to the store and back for the hell of it. Plus if my daily beater were to die on me I'll need something to drive until I get it fixed or replace it. Maybe I'm just thinking way too hard about it.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had Grundy for years on my Cobra R's and 03/04 Cobras. When I got my 2014 Shelby GT500 I had Grundy quote and it was high. Ended up using Heacock Classic in Florida and they were great. Great rates and great coverage. The problem with most all collector car insurance companies is that they do not want you to use the collector car as a daily driver. That is not what this type of insurance is for. Stay with regular insurance if you plan on using the car as a daily somewhere down the road.

cdurbin328

CDurbin328
Established Member
I had Grundy for years on my Cobra R's and 03/04 Cobras. When I got my 2014 Shelby GT500 I had Grundy quote and it was high. Ended up using Heacock Classic in Florida and they were great. Great rates and great coverage. The problem with most all collector car insurance companies is that they do not want you to use the collector car as a daily driver. That is not what this type of insurance is for. Stay with regular insurance if you plan on using the car as a daily somewhere down the road.

Yeah, I don't plan on it but you never know what can happen.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Grundy just asked me for two high quality pictures and my address to prove the car was stored inside a garage.

The problem with most all collector car insurance companies is that they do not want you to use the collector car as a daily driver.

100% accurate, that's going to be for ANY of the special/collector insurance companies.

Think of it this way, you were on your way to a cruise night / car show and had to make a quick stop. This is how my old agent at American Collectors explained it to me. After all, in the summer around where I live, theres a car event every day of the week.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The only two things that concern me with Grundy is that the quote says that you can't just drive it to run "errands" and it can't be a backup vehicle. Sometimes I just want to drive it to the store and back for the hell of it. Plus if my daily beater were to die on me I'll need something to drive until I get it fixed or replace it. Maybe I'm just thinking way too hard about it.

I've never had collector car insurance, but my father has (he has a 57 Chevy and T-Bird) and he told me what you mentioned above. It's great Grundy gives great rates, but it sucks that they tell you how you can utilize your vehicles in order to get the agreed upon value.

I understand it's a business and the more you're on the road the greater the chances are something bad will happen. However, I don't want the insurance company telling me how to utilize my vehicles. Therefore, we will not be doing business.

I hate insurance anyway. I pay them money every month or year "in case something happens" and when nothing happens where is my money??? Paying for S#!T that happens to other people LOL.

LMAO!!! You're screwed either way. You pay for Grundy and they tell you how to enjoy your car or you pay for regular insurance and pray some dumb@$$ does not crash in to you and cause you to have to fight with the insurance company to properly reimburse you for your loss or pay the money to get it fixed properly..........

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
I will tell you Grundy Worldwide has been amazing through the claims process so far with my car. The policy was an agreed value of $40k for I believe $496 annual. Easy to work with and they seem to work for and with you as the policyholder. Now, your experience may change if you are at fault but I was rear ended some I'm not dealing with an at-fault accident. Just my .02.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TxCobra76

Established Member
Grundy here as well. In my paperwork it states not to use as daily and stored indoors. But it does say you can drive to work occasionally with no problems. Same with shows. Cost me $360 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread