Come on guys lets get real the new 5.0 has more then 420hp!

Voltwings

Established Member
Huh? Are you talking about the 13-14 5.0 or the boss engine? You're way off base if you speak of the non boss 5.0

i believe hes trying to backwards calculate going off what most cars put down at the wheels. without knowing the true drivetrain loss though, its a pot shot at best.

Jroc

Established Member
They are gonna keep it modest at like 435 to 440. By the end of the run the 17, 18, or 19 will have like 460.

True.

I think Ford is going to give the motor a little room for future improvement against the upcoming competition. The 5.0 already shines pretty good, but it should shine even more when it gets DI.

RTD

Established Member

Felix C

Established Member
The IRS will attrition power compared to the previous setup. Perhaps also the larger and wider wheels and tires.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I just love the interior of the new Mustang. Those are some great pictures of the interior. Best Mustang interior ever.

I agree! Its beautiful and sophisticated. I loved that they've moved the cup holders slightly to the right of the shifter. So much better for all the models before.

Felix C

Established Member
Bigger intake and exhaust valves , stiffer valve springs, an oil cooler, revised high flow ports, charge motion control actuators, mid lock variable intake cam timing phaser, high lift intake and exhaust cams, forged steel crank and sinter forged connecting rods! Do you really think that all these new engine goodies add up 0 gain in hp and 6 lbs of extra torque. 420hp is reported for insurance reasons. This is a 450-475 hp engine, it's more then a boss engine which we know is 444hp!

New intake manifold as well? Someone, here I think, indicated the new specs are similar to the Cobra Jet 5.0

RTD

Established Member
the current 5.0 puts out 445HP 6600RPM at the crank. depending upon variables like air temp elevation/altitude the mustang puts out 384-395HP at the wheels.
with long tube headers the 5.0 puts out 459HP crank power while at stock 6600RPM
CAI and throttle body's do not offer much gains!
ive seen the statement that ford made about stiffer springs and bigger valves. I think I have a feeling on what size valves they are going to use.
bigger cams! they said they will add bigger cams to the 5.0 and still be at the current 5.0s redline which is at 6600RPM, that's bullshit! if ford is going to be using bigger cams and stay at 6600RPM they will need to stay at the same duration as current 5.0 has just with a bit more lift. if they add duration that raises the 5.0 6600 redline to an easy 7100RPM
who revs there engines that high? most people that buy mustang GT's they don't even see the factory rev limit nor do many even see 6000RPM.
the smaller the engine the higher that engine has to rev to make a certain desired number in the RPM range where as a bigger cubic motor does not have to rev as high as say a 5.0 would do!

Dude, I have nothing against you personally, but you spout all sorts of idiotic misinformation in every thread.

You claimed that your cousin's friend's machinist was a Ford exec and that there would be both an SC and NA 5.8 in the new Mustang. You were WRONG.

You have also spouted this 445 hp shit in multiple threads now. Get it straight - the 2011-2012 GT has 412 hp, the 2012-2013 Boss has 444, and the 2013-2014 GT has 420. None are rated at 445.

As for who revs their engine that high, I rev my Boss to 7500 all the time, it's still pulling hard at the rev limit.

RTD

Established Member
New intake manifold as well? Someone, here I think, indicated the new specs are similar to the Cobra Jet 5.0

The new intake manifold is based off the old GT manifold with a few tweaks and the charge motion flaps. It's not a high rise like the Boss or CJ. I agree with whoever said the motor will likely be intake manifold limited.

blackvette101

Established Member
The new intake manifold is based off the old GT manifold with a few tweaks and the charge motion flaps. It's not a high rise like the Boss or CJ. I agree with whoever said the motor will likely be intake manifold limited.

yeah if the CM plates are anything like all of fords other CM plates it will actually reduce intake manifold airflow even when they are not activated at high rpm. This engine should make substantially more lowend torque which is a big problem with the coyote. If you guys have driven an LS3 car you'll see what i'm saying. Most do not care about torque at 2k rpm but ford does. You can put the most badass heads/cams on any motor but an engine will only make power up until it's choke point can't flow any more air. The BOSS had a different intake manifold for a reason.

That massive low end torque let's Ford use big overdrive's to sip fuel while cruising and with CAFE standards coming down hard and gas prices always heading up it is important to sacrifice hp to get torque. Especially with an LT1 camaro coming in the future. That LT1 puts down a torque curve like it has 7 liters. They could probably get away with a .4 overdrive with that engine.

Last edited:

LostPony

Established Member
The gains will come from the new heads and cam, no doubt about that, but they won't get the expensive CNC process the Boss heads got. I think power will be about the same as the Boss in the end. Going to larger valves and higher lift cams will probably equal out what the CNC process gained. Just my .02 cents.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I doubt it will have significantly more power because the redline is the same it is now according to a ford guy in a video I watched.

htk084

Established Member
I'm hopin this is a 400 whp car from the factory! What do u think the chances are of that?

germeezy1

Established Member
Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that the GT Coyote 5.0 will NOT have the CNC ported heads from the Road Runner 5.0? All of these changes including more valve lift could definitely point to powerband improvements that would make for a faster car with more power under the curve but not much if any more peak power.

4VFTW

Established Member
Am I the only one that picked up on the fact that the GT Coyote 5.0 will NOT have the CNC ported heads from the Road Runner 5.0? All of these changes including more valve lift could definitely point to powerband improvements that would make for a faster car with more power under the curve but not much if any more peak power.
on what grounds do you base the assumption that...

1) revised heads with increased port flow
2) larger valves
3) revised cams with more lift and unknown duration

will not be capable of producing more peak as well as under the curve power?

germeezy1

Established Member
on what grounds do you base the assumption that...

1) revised heads with increased port flow
2) larger valves
3) revised cams with more lift and unknown duration

will not be capable of producing more peak as well as under the curve power?

First of all I said could, and quite frankly without knowing the tune, and VVT tables it would be impossible to guess. Ford said that the 5.0 would be rated at 420 hp in their preliminary press release, and I don't think that we are going to truly be looking at a 465 hp or 480 hp 5.0 for a stock GT. Without additional engine revolutions, and without knowing how the heads flow it is possible that Ford could definitely be focusing on improving the powerband instead of focusing on outright power.

Users who are viewing this thread