Coming out of storage question.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
So the car is coming out of storage and I am about to change the oil. I would like to just turn the engine over so I can get the oil throughout the engine. Is this a good idea? Or should I just start the car right up?

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
Push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and then turn the key. The car WILL NOT start as the starter turns the motor over. Do this once for a few seconds 5 or so and then start it up.
I do this every time I change my oil to prime the filter.
Good luck enjoy your Cobra this spring!

J.T.

Established Member
Car will not start, I just did this a few weeks ago and was nervous until it was over. Just push the gas to the floor and turn the key.

oldmodman

Established Member
You could always get your ignition key duplicated but do not set the digital code in it. Mark that key as special and only use it to crank the car when you want to pre-oil the engine. From what has been said about the key based theft prevention system it keeps the injectors and ignition from working.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
oldmodman said:
You could always get your ignition key duplicated but do not set the digital code in it. Mark that key as special and only use it to crank the car when you want to pre-oil the engine. From what has been said about the key based theft prevention system it keeps the injectors and ignition from working.

+1000

i bought a key from home depot, and use it with each oil change. put it in the ignition, and the car will turn over, just not fire. i do it until the oil pressure comes up.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
+1000

i bought a key from home depot, and use it with each oil change. put it in the ignition, and the car will turn over, just not fire. i do it until the oil pressure comes up.

I like this idea. I think this is what I am going to do, thanks guys.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
why bother buying a key?

all you need to do is stop fuel from flowing......pull pump fuse or disconnect inertia switch in trunk

or hold pedal at WOT to put it into 'clear-flood mode' (probably the easiest way for your situation)

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
JB said:
why bother buying a key?

all you need to do is stop fuel from flowing......pull pump fuse or disconnect inertia switch in trunk

or hold pedal at WOT to put it into 'clear-flood mode' (probably the easiest way for your situation)

the key cost $2. many ways to skin a cat. i don't like putting the pedal to the metal unless there's plenty of road in front of me--i don't care how many fuses/switches are pulled

HASFANGS

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
the key cost $2. many ways to skin a cat. i don't like putting the pedal to the metal unless there's plenty of road in front of me--i don't care how many fuses/switches are pulled

+1, I'm sure it works, but like you I'd feel more comfortable...

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you guys' logic escapes me :dw:

we're talking about starting the car, not driving it....how is it going to go anywhere when it isn't in gear with clutch engaged??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread