Comp Cams adjustable cam gears

rodfarva

Established Member
Is anybody running these? I was using them on my 5.4L 4V motor and I was having issues with the car seeming like it was trying to fire out of order when cranking. I finally discovered that the camshaft position sensor was picking up
multiple readings off the set screws in the camshaft. I called Comp and they said that they've heard of this issue recently, but that it appears to only affect 4V motors and that they don't have a fix yet. I would think that switching the set screws out with a non-magnetic screw might solve the issue.

Ironhand

Banned
I thought those adjustable cam gears were having issues with the bolts not staying in position or breaking. That's why I would use the stock big gear and the multiply keyed small cam gears.

BlankTP

Established Member
Is anybody running these? I was using them on my 5.4L 4V motor and I was having issues with the car seeming like it was trying to fire out of order when cranking. I finally discovered that the camshaft position sensor was picking up
multiple readings off the set screws in the camshaft. I called Comp and they said that they've heard of this issue recently, but that it appears to only affect 4V motors and that they don't have a fix yet. I would think that switching the set screws out with a non-magnetic screw might solve the issue.

I've used them before on 2v's with no issues. I've degreed several 4v's by filing and shimming keyways. That sucks you're dealing with that issue, You'd think if they knew about the problem, they wouldn't sell them for 4v's. I agree stainless bolts would seem to be the answer, not sure about the strength difference though

F8L SN8K

Established Member
We've had zero issue with our Adjustable timing gears on any of the applications we've used them on even the 4v set-up. I was worried about the tiny screws that hold everything in place breaking or backing out. We verified the washer and loc-tit where used on them and have had no issues.

You also verified there is no interference issues with the long bolts they supply that sometimes need to ground down?

Last edited:

force recon

Established Member
I've used them before on 2v's with no issues. I've degreed several 4v's by filing and shimming keyways. That sucks you're dealing with that issue, You'd think if they knew about the problem, they wouldn't sell them for 4v's. I agree stainless bolts would seem to be the answer, not sure about the strength difference though

What are you shimming the keyways with?

Thanks
Rod kern

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
. I would think that switching the set screws out with a non-magnetic screw might solve the issue.

They are already non magentic stainless steel (most grades of stainless steel are not magnetic)

Is this being used with a BS3 or factory ecu, also as a FYI the car will run without a cam signal, it will simply give a cam signal error on a BS3 and loose its sequential reference.

Sounds like something else is set wrong.....

rodfarva

Established Member
8530a013.jpg

The 4 center set screws are definitely not stainless and are magnetic.

rodfarva

Established Member
No, nothing else is set wrong. When I removed the Comp Cams sprockets and swapped back in the factory sprockets it starts and runs perfectly.

The Reapar

Unleash the Fury
Established Member
They are already non magentic stainless steel (most grades of stainless steel are not magnetic)

Is this being used with a BS3 or factory ecu, also as a FYI the car will run without a cam signal, it will simply give a cam signal error on a BS3 and loose its sequential reference.

Sounds like something else is set wrong.....

Not to be capt'n obvious or anything but,

IMG_0167.jpg

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you may be incorrect. :rollseyes

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We just checked all of our stock 6 sets, all of them have stainless screws, the ones pictured are clearly as you say! You can see they only have the stainless bolts on the outside (which are not magentic) Looks like comp already has fixed the problem ( at least on the ones we have in stock here), how old are those gears?

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
8530a013.jpg

The 4 center set screws are definitely not stainless and are magnetic.

Yeah, those are definitely different from the ones we have in stock here, ours are all stainless...., also as a fyi these are built by Fidanza for Comp, we assume that the newest production run has the 100% stainless bolts. If you need the new style bolts let us know!

Good luck with it!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The other problem is the GT500 timing cover moves the sensor up slightly to accomodate for the smaller factory gear used on the GT500, this would definitely make the problem worse for you since it has moved it closer to the non magentic bolts.

The Reapar

Unleash the Fury
Established Member
These came from you guys two months ago.

Might also add recommending a double key'd crank to your knowledge base for future customers as we twisted the single key around the snout of the crank with the 4.0 Whipple within about 20 mins of run time rendering the crank useless.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Not to be capt'n obvious or anything but,

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you may be incorrect. :rollseyes

Well, incorrect about what he was sent (keep in mind we hadnt seen what he had received until now) but not incorrect about the stainless bolts being non magentic and that the sets in our stock are all stainless. Like we said above, looks like comp/fidanza already fixed the problem. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread