Comparison: GT350 and GT350R

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My non-'R' (chassis #11) '16 Blue/White GT350 arrived late last week, and I took delivery earlier today. I've put 70 miles on the non-R already, and it's a different car from the R. It's amazing how much of a difference spring rates, suspension tuning, wheels & tires can make to a car!

Basic impressions:

'R' w/electronics pack: Loud exhaust, very stiff spring rates, bouncy ride, cold-blooded tires, immense grip once tires are warm, huge brakes, very precise steering, neutral at the limit. Good power above 3500 RPM and pulls linearly to redline. Basically a track car with a license plate. Hard to drive it fast enough to put the tires and spring rates to use on the street without being a complete nut job. Not a car I would choose as a daily driver or for road trips; fun for the occasional romp on the street but principally a track weapon.

non-R w/tech pack: Moderate exhaust, 'sport' rather than 'track' spring rates, very nice ride, useable street tires, very good grip, huge brakes, slightly more relaxed steering, no tendency to follow pavement imperfections. Same motor as 350R. Easy and comfortable to push on the street, lots of feedback from the chassis and tires, a bit of understeer at the limit. A car I could see driving every day without a second thought.

Conclusion:
If I had to keep just one, I'd keep the non-R because I would drive it far more than the R.

cluscher

Established Member
Thanks for info. So, is the regular 350 in track mode at all similar to the R in normal mode when comparing harshness, steering precision, etc.?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Treynor copy.jpg

:p

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Thanks for the update. I would love to see times for both on the same cup 2 tires at let's say Laguna...idea?

On the same tires I would guess the differences will be 1-2 sec / lap. The suspension control on the R will be better in transitions and over rough sections, and it has a small weight and aero advantage. They are otherwise the same car, and the engine and brakes count for a lot.

krt22

Established Member
Tob LOL That's very accurate.

Indeed!

"Yeah....I was totally set on getting an R, actually had one on order, but canceled it after Treynor from the internet said the non-R was a better all around car" :D

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
On the same tires I would guess the differences will be 1-2 sec / lap. The suspension control on the R will be better in transitions and over rough sections, and it has a small weight and aero advantage. They are otherwise the same car, and the engine and brakes count for a lot.

The thing that gets little attention, but that matters a lot, is the Advancetrac/ABS calibration. We don’t know for sure, but I suspect that the calibration for the “R” is different than for the “non-R” cars. Even if you turn Advancetrac off, the ABS system still manages front/rear brake balance and the threshold point for ABS intervention.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Indeed!

"Yeah....I was totally set on getting an R, actually had one on order, but canceled it after Treynor from the internet said the non-R was a better all around car" :D
Heh. From my perspective Ford did exactly what they said they would: they made a superb street car which you can also use at the track, and they made a track variant which you can drive on the street. You can choose whichever best matches your intended use.

krt22

Established Member
Agreed, I'd love the R for its shear presence (especially since it wont be a DD), but I'm positive the TP GT350 I have on order is everything I will need and more. I'd say 75% of the purchase was for the motor/sound, as long as that box is checked I am quite content.

Hopefully Ford Performance does release a few of the R suspension tidbits for some of us to fiddle with.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ben have you hit the track with the R yet? Interested in the lap times you can get from it.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Ben,

Did you notice a difference in braking and engine performance from a seat of the pants perspective?

marc@kentucky

Established Member
Treynor- I can't thank you enough for this review. I've never wavered on my decision to go with the non R Track Pack, but with having kids and being highly unlikely to see any real track time- hearing such an honest summation by someone with as much credibility as yourself makes me more than convinced than ever I made the right choice. I'm sure I'll get some ribbing by the magazine racers and non-owners that I wasn't "able" to get the R but to me the track package with this car seems ideal.

:beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Thanks for the thoughts and comments on my question. Which is what approximately what I've heard before. In other words the track pack on cup 2 its approximately the same pace as the z28.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ben,

Did you notice a difference in braking and engine performance from a seat of the pants perspective?

Nope. I expect they're within 2 MPH of each other in the 1/4, all due to weight and traction.

Treynor- I can't thank you enough for this review. I've never wavered on my decision to go with the non R Track Pack, but with having kids and being highly unlikely to see any real track time- hearing such an honest summation by someone with as much credibility as yourself makes me more than convinced than ever I made the right choice. I'm sure I'll get some ribbing by the magazine racers and non-owners that I wasn't "able" to get the R but to me the track package with this car seems ideal.

:beer:

I agree. Forget magazine racers and spec-sheet regurgitators; in the real world buying a car optimized for the driving you actually do is the way to go.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Funny graph, Tob, and it's probably true. As for me, though, I still want the R and only the R. I have other cars I can daily if it came to that.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Wow, thanks for posting this Ben. How does the misses like these cars? Would be awesome to hear your input about these two when at Laguna or Sonoma. This is a car most of us can actually afford!

Of course, I'm also looking forward to watching some vids of your ACR whenever you get that car!

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The Mustang ergonomics aren't great for Christine. She appreciates the car for what it is, but is sticking to her other 'F' brand.

I should have the 'R' at Laguna for a May event if an earlier opportunity doesn't present itself.

Users who are viewing this thread