Comparison: GT350 and GT350R

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Mustang ergonomics aren't great for Christine. She appreciates the car for what it is, but is sticking to her other 'F' brand.

I should have the 'R' at Laguna for a May event if an earlier opportunity doesn't present itself.

She'd pick a Ferrari over a Mustang? What is wrong with her? haha

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There can be only one solution: Own both!

I want a Black R, no stripes - and a Black non-R, no stripes

That's definitely one solution. You'd have to be some kind of nut job to do it, though.

More seriously - I'm curious how much of the ride difference is due to the wheels & tires. The spring rates aren't all that different, the weight isn't all that different - a lot of it may be the tires. In which case the ideal solution is to get an "R" and a second set of wheels/tires for street driving.

I'll swap the wheels and give it a test if there's interest?

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
That's definitely one solution. You'd have to be some kind of nut job to do it, though.

More seriously - I'm curious how much of the ride difference is due to the wheels & tires. The spring rates aren't all that different, the weight isn't all that different - a lot of it may be the tires. In which case the ideal solution is to get an "R" and a second set of wheels/tires for street driving.

I actually slightly prefer the look/style of the track pack wheels over the 'R' wheels (just my opinion).

Personally when I own the R, those Carbon Fiber wheels will be staying in the garage and only installed and used on track days. I have always thought that a set of Black CCW classics would look amazing on the 'R' for daily/street driving:

0f3bebc7727fce49147ea05718fda587.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member

Hells yes there is interest.

I suspect that the Non-R package will be most attainable for the majority. I would definitely like to hear about the effect the lighter wheels had on the non-R model. Most guys, myself included, that are buying a GT350 are already looking to the aftermarket for a lightweight wheel and would love to hear how much of a difference the CF wheels make.

cluscher

Established Member

Very definitely an interest! That will be the true test. It would be very interesting if you had both cars out for a track day and ran the R wheels on both. Now THAT would be a comparison. You are in such a unique position to provide some real good comparison data/info.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Yes please. My TP was produced today and I'll have it in about a month. I plan on lightweight wheels with PSC2 tires for the track and will keep the stock tires and wheels for the street. Remember while the springs are similar, the R fronts are stiffer and the rear sway bar supports are shorter making the rear slightly stiffer, the R has smaller slot gaps in the dampers, which makes them stiffer plus they are calibrated to be stiffer.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yes please. My TP was produced today and I'll have it in about a month. I plan on lightweight wheels with PSC2 tires for the track and will keep the stock tires and wheels for the street. Remember while the springs are similar, the R fronts are stiffer and the rear sway bar supports are shorter making the rear slightly stiffer, the R has smaller slot gaps in the dampers, which makes them stiffer plus they are calibrated to be stiffer.

Those Michelin's are a great tire and dot legal, but honestly a great set of Hoosier A6's or similar track tire would take the car to a whole new level. Great idea though to have a track day set of wheels/tires.

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I would be interested in the test as well. The only thing I am curious about is going to be the ABS system. I believe Ford has said the R has different programming due to the large difference in rotational mass between R and non R wheel/tire combos.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Eh I still hate you. This is just another excellent reason to do it.

Sheesh - I didn't even include pictures or anything. This rep is just gonna follow me around, isn't it?

chuckstang

Established Member
Wouldn't it throw off the factory ABS, traction control etc if you swap to a sticker and or lighter set of wheels on there?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Oh ok. Just one

a335ad72b304ed948898dfa767305166.jpg

You should've captioned it with "Let the HATE flow through you!" LOL

Are my eyes messing with me or are the grille openings on the R smaller than the non-R in that pic??

Wouldn't it throw off the factory ABS, traction control etc if you swap to a sticker and or lighter set of wheels on there?

It'll affect the stability control. All the rest will operate normally. Throw some stainless steel braided brake lines on there and it will affect ABS. At least it did initially with my GT500.

Established Member
Heh. From my perspective Ford did exactly what they said they would: they made a superb street car which you can also use at the track, and they made a track variant which you can drive on the street. You can choose whichever best matches your intended use.

*** I would have choose the R model, but ADM and availability forced me to non-R :-\ Maybe in a couple years the R will come down to earth

Users who are viewing this thread