Complete EGR Delete

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Is there a writeup of a complete egr delete?

i.e. what needs to be removed, what should i cap off etc. I know the egr valve on the side of the intake needs to go and to cap the exhaust but thats about it

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I believe you can remove the air pump located under the air filter section.
then you will trace the hoses back to the SAI valve and that can go then you will find the small vacuum lines leading to I cant remember the name so her is a pic. Most of the small vacuum line run on the Drivers side of the motor. Careful with the one that run to the passenger side. I do not remember gutting any of those. Just go slow you will be fine so long as your tune says so.
P4020186.gif

P4020185.gif

P4020184.gif

P4020183.gif

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Yeah I think that's the Secondary Air Injection, or SAI though. He wants to know about the EGR too. BTW I yanked out all of the above stuff and don't have a tune for it.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Yeah I think that's the Secondary Air Injection, or SAI though. He wants to know about the EGR too. BTW I yanked out all of the above stuff and don't have a tune for it.

Interesting that a tune is not needed. I did not know that. I just remember mentioning it to my tuner 11 years ago he never mentioned there is nothing to do with the tune he just said ok. So I thought you needed a tune for it.

What he said in his first post he is right that is all he needs to do. Cap off exhaust and get a egr block off plate. I do not why I thought the air pump was part of the egr. Maybe I was just thinking emissions in general.
BTW all the stuff in those pics are for sale!

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
This is actually what i am looking for. Im getting rid of the sai and egr but i just wanted to know what lines need to be capped off and etc so i do not have any vac leaks

SVT CAMR

Established Member
After deleting start you car and go back to the lines you did not want to gut any further and take it from there. See which one os sucking and blowing air. from what I remember the only one I put a screw in to cap it off was right by the SAI Valve. It's not as bad as it looks once everything is removed. You should not have any problems. Go for it! I did it and do not remember having any problems at all. I already had headers that were capped off.

I heard the exhaust caps can be a problem to get. Some have mentioned they had to go to the hardware store for some plumbing type threaded fittings to cap off the exhaust. Apparently no one carries them as a part for our car. There was a thread about 3 weeks ago on this. Do a search and see if you can find it. In the end they went to the hardware store and picked up a plumbing type cap.

myrsvt

Established Member
Yea I took all mine off (see pic) with no adverse effects.
It also makes it a lot easier to run IC, SC, plumbing. That's why I did it.
Plus it cleans up engine bay.

You will need to cap off the two ports on front off exhaust manifold
and one on rear drivers side.

I just cut off the nuts on the existing plumbing and welded caps on
them and screwed them back on.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Last edited:

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
you will need a tune to correct the issues. also when the sai is not there your car runs extremely lean on start up since the ecm is trying to see a lean start with the sai on 22afr for about a minute to two.

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
Does anybody know the size for the caps for the sai delete on the front of the manifolds?
I know it's smaller than my cap for the egr delete but I cant seem to find it anywhere

96S/Cobra

Established Member
This is how I deleted my EGR...cut it off, weld up the holes, grind down the welds smooth, then powdercoat :) Bam, no more EGR.

P7310050.jpg

P1150058.jpg

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
So I got lucky today and was able to remove the drivers side tube/nut from the exhaust manifold. I was also replacing the gaskets/o-rings for the oil cooler crap too so that was extra space in there.
I take it the easiest way to remove the tube/nut on the passenger side manifold is by removing the four AC compressor bolts and lowering the compressor----anything else? Or just remove the compressor altogether?
Removing the drivers side involved an adjustable wrench and whacking it with a hammer to loosen the nut, 1/8 of a turn at a time lol.......

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I had a couple of spare flywheel bolts that perfectly fit into the manifold ports for the SAI system. Sealed them up with ultra copper gasket maker.

Last edited:

Hardshift

Question is when capping off the egr/pcv, where do you run your pcv valve? My EGR is deleted and I got the car in piece. I put it back together and rigged up a vacuum system but I want to make sure it runs right and right now it’s not.

Users who are viewing this thread