complete rebuild kit?

99bolt

Build# 1464
Established Member
I'm looking for a good rebuild kit, pistons/rods.
There are two kits on ebay and I need to know which one makes more sense to buy if i'm on a budget, A or B. Do I really need a new crankshaft and bearings? And could this upgrade allow me to go into the 450-550rwhp safely or would I need something else?

Option A:
-4340 H-Beam Rods w/ARP2000 Bolts
-Manley Forged Dished Pistons
-Plasma Moly File to Fit Rings

Option B: Same kit but also has...
-KELLOGG Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
-King Performance Bearings

FordFanStan

Established Member
No you wouldnt need a new crank. the stock cranks come forged form the factory and are good pieces. Also I would look into the ModMax rebuild kits. They dont sound too bad. I think you can get manley rods and cp pistons in their kits. And that is good. I personally wouldnt buy anything that important for my baby off of ebay... Stan

99bolt

Build# 1464
Established Member
Where can I look at the ModMax rebuild kits?
The JDM kit looks good but I was hoping for something under 1300, shipped.

Has anyone here bought the JDM kit, or any other kit?

FordFanStan

Established Member
99bolt said:
Where can I look at the ModMax rebuild kits?
The JDM kit looks good but I was hoping for something under 1300, shipped.

Has anyone here bought the JDM kit, or any other kit?

Last time I checked, few months back, they didnt advertise there kits on there website but its www.ProPowerParts.com

They advertise in MM&FF magazine. they show a 5.4 L bulletproof rotating kit for 1849.00 but that is with the crank. You wont need a new crank unless there has been some damge to your engine. they sell all the parts seperately as well. I would give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Pro Power
4750 North Dixie Highway - suite 9
fort lauderdale, Fl. 33334
954-491-6988

I am not telling you to use them as I have had NO exerience with them. But I contiplated using them (because of price and the name brand parts they use)and they dont sound bad to me.. Stan

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
By the time you get done rebuilding you will have spent what you would spend on a new built short block.

99bolt

Build# 1464
Established Member
SWThomas said:
By the time you get done rebuilding you will have spent what you would spend on a new built short block.

That's what I keep hearing. And I don't want that.

Maybe I'll settle for the KB at low boost and hope it lasts till I can afford to go built. Would that be a bad idea? :shrug:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Rods and pistons...along with new heads would be great. That would make sure that 500+rwhp is in reach and reliable too. I keep looking for a kit.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Yes you will, there is no cheap way to build one of these motors. You cannot beat the prices on the s/b's that are being sold right now.

problem is if you want to change anything (ie bigger bore, coated pistons, Etc) you cant on the Standard Cheap Built Short Blocks...

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You can't really go more than .020" over on these blocks due to cylinder wall thickness and that really won't get you many more cubes. You can always talk to the vendor and get a quote on one with whatever you want in them, you aren't limited to one off the floor necessarily.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
99bolt said:
I'm looking for a good rebuild kit, pistons/rods.
There are two kits on ebay and I need to know which one makes more sense to buy if i'm on a budget, A or B. Do I really need a new crankshaft and bearings? And could this upgrade allow me to go into the 450-550rwhp safely or would I need something else?

Option A:
-4340 H-Beam Rods w/ARP2000 Bolts
-Manley Forged Dished Pistons
-Plasma Moly File to Fit Rings

Option B: Same kit but also has...
-KELLOGG Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
-King Performance Bearings

Call Billy. 209-648-0325 He did my engine and has great prices on parts also.

99bolt

Build# 1464
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Yes you will, there is no cheap way to build one of these motors. You cannot beat the prices on the s/b's that are being sold right now.

I just don't see how I would spend more. Pistons + Rods... about 1k shipped. Labor costs... 1,500 give or take. That would come out to less then 3k v. 5k for a complete shortblock. Am I wrong?

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
99bolt said:
I just don't see how I would spend more. Pistons + Rods... about 1k shipped. Labor costs... 1,500 give or take. That would come out to less then 3k v. 5k for a complete shortblock. Am I wrong?

$5000 for a shortblock?? From who?

FordFanStan

Established Member
Another bit of info you might like to see 99bolt... just found this on the F150online site..

The one and only JDM Built NVH Shortblock!!!!

$3495!!!

STD Bore available in 8.4:1 and 9:1 compression ratios!!!!

-Brand new 2004 Ford NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) 5.4 Block
-Brand new Ford steel forged crankshaft
-Manley H beam connecting Rods (w/ .150" Tool Steel Wrist pins!)
-Manley STD Pistons with Manley moly rings
-Federal Mogule Rod and Main Bearings
-ARP Mainstuds
-New Ford High Volume Oil pump
-Blue printed and Balanced

[Pic comming here]

We have been able to drop the price on our shortblocks because we are moving our machine shop in house. Our engine builder Alan Halsey (some of you may know his name if you follow the nascar circuit closely) He has been our engine builder for over the past 2 years now. We have been giving him so much work that for the past year he has been exclusivley building JDM engines and working for us. We are now moving him into our new building (some of you may remember, or not, from the Xmas party ) and he will now be a full time employee. This will benifit everyone! It used to cost us $1300 to have our engines balanced, blue printed, and assembled, and we supplied the goods(block,crank,rods, pistons,etc...) In the past two years under Alan's work we have had ZERO engine failures!!! We lost one to a bad wrist pin and that is why we now and have been for 14 months using .150" tool steel wrist pins.

The reason why we chose to use the new Ford NVH 5.4 blocks is because the older block cylinder walls can range from .130" to .170" wall thickness. Now if you go to .020" or.030" over that is that much more meat you are losing from the cylinder wall!!!!! The new NVH blocks range from .200"-.220" wall thickness and we keep the STD bore to eliminate virtually all cylinder wall distortion. So that way in two years down the road your JDM engine will make the same power it did when you first installed it!

Users who are viewing this thread