Comprehensive or Collision?

snakezilla

Established Member
I ran over a blob of House paint on the freeway. It got all over my car and Im damaging my clear coat cleaning it off. My isurance company says its a collision. It was a debri on the road and I couldnt do anything to avoid it. What will this type of accident be considered? I disagree with them saying its a collision but what do you guys think and why. :)Not my Cobra:) My comprehensive deductible is $100 and collision is $500. I need it to be Comprehensive. Not looking to make money just get the car cleaned up and back to the way it was. Now I have a black car with White house paint all over it...

Last edited:

adtp337

Established Member
An object in the road is always collision unless it was an animal hit. You can argue all you want with them but they won't change it. Why do you need it to be a comp claim vs. a collision, just cause of the deductible?

snakezilla

Established Member
An object in the road is always collision unless it was an animal hit. You can argue all you want with them but they won't change it. Why do you need it to be a comp claim vs. a collision, just cause of the deductible?

Well, I dont need a accident on my driving record nor a record on the car in an accident. My rates are going to go up with a collision on file. It wasnt a solid item I ran over. It was more like water(blob of wet paint) I know that a detailer with paint correction done by a pro will be cheaper for me and the insurance company.

snakezilla

Established Member
Will this go as a accident on file in my driving record and a accident on the car? If they go collison, how are they going to pay for the repair? A repaint? or cleanup of the car? If I decide to NOT go through with the claim, does it stay on record with me and the car at DMV? I dont want a collision on file when I sell/trade it in later. Will my rates go up even if I back out of the claim. I was told it was a comp claim by my agent and thats the only reason I called my insurance because a complete clean up with paint correction is going to cost me between 300-500 and my comp is only $100

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Wouldn't it be a non-fault collision that would not raise your rates? That was my understanding from the insurance agent when I found a large scrape mark on my mother's truck.

snakezilla

Established Member
Wouldn't it be a non-fault collision that would not raise your rates? That was my understanding from the insurance agent when I found a large scrape mark on my mother's truck.

I hope so?

Waiting on ADTP337 hes the man on Insurance questions:rockon:

adtp337

Established Member
Will this go as a accident on file in my driving record and a accident on the car? If they go collison, how are they going to pay for the repair? A repaint? or cleanup of the car? If I decide to NOT go through with the claim, does it stay on record with me and the car at DMV? I dont want a collision on file when I sell/trade it in later. Will my rates go up even if I back out of the claim. I was told it was a comp claim by my agent and thats the only reason I called my insurance because a complete clean up with paint correction is going to cost me between 300-500 and my comp is only $100
Well they consider it collision cause its the same type of scenario like if you were to hit a patch of water in the road and lose control of the vehicle. I know the damages aren't the same, but think along those lines.

As far as how your state works with respect to insurance companies reporting claims to the state, I couldn't give you a definite answer. I know in Texas the claim would be reported to the state and go on the record of the car and you. I also couldn't tell you what they would do for repairs without seeing the car, but if you're saying the clear is peeling up then they would most likely repaint the damaged panels.

Your adjustor should be able to answer all these questions for you or at least get you to the right people who can answer it i.e. policy services regarding the effects on your rates.

In your case the damage was caused when the vehicle was parked and unoccupied correct so thats a not-at-fault accident. This instance is a little different since he was driving the vehicle at the time of the loss.

snakezilla

Established Member
Well they consider it collision cause its the same type of scenario like if you were to hit a patch of water in the road and lose control of the vehicle. I know the damages aren't the same, but think along those lines.

As far as how your state works with respect to insurance companies reporting claims to the state, I couldn't give you a definite answer. I know in Texas the claim would be reported to the state and go on the record of the car and you. I also couldn't tell you what they would do for repairs without seeing the car, but if you're saying the clear is peeling up then they would most likely repaint the damaged panels.

Your adjustor should be able to answer all these questions for you or at least get you to the right people who can answer it i.e. policy services regarding the effects on your rates.

In your case the damage was caused when the vehicle was parked and unoccupied correct so thats a not-at-fault accident. This instance is a little different since he was driving the vehicle at the time of the loss.

If I back out and not go through with the claim will it still go on file DMV? im in CA Thats why I want it to be a COMP. The clear is not peeling off. Its more like making swirls all over the car when I try to rub it off.

Last edited:

snakezilla

Established Member
This is going to suck if I get a collision on my record because I ran over a liquid that damaged my car. It can affect me at work due to my driving record not being clean and affect my rates. Whatever way they decide to pay for the damages im going to take the car to a detailer for repair not a bodyshop.

Last edited:

snakezilla

Established Member
Woohoo! My insurance is going to handle it as a Comp claim. I explained it better to my adjuster and the misunderstanding was they thought I hit a bucket of paint. I didn't hit anything, I went over a puddle of wet paint. It then got all over the car from the tires...

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
No such thing as colliding with liquid. You could argue some kids poured the paint in the road an attempt to vandalize someones car. Its Comprehensive. Even a hail claim is Comprehensive and thats water in a solid state

just saw you got it approved, good! Ive never had a client ask that. Good question!

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
A couple years ago one of my trucks was involved in a hit and run. It happened at around 3am, when the truck was legally parked in the street, and State Farm wanted to treat it as collision too. I still don't understand how an unoccupied vehicle being hit by something is a collision on the receiving vehicles part.

Luckily the driver of the other vehicle was caught and admitted to it, so other than yelling at my agent I didn't have to deal with it any further.

My deductible was the same for both, that wasn't the problem. My problem was having a claim like that on my insurance, and the certainty that my rates would be going up.

Jefe

Established Member
If 2 vehicles collide or hit, its a collision doesnt matter if anyones in the vehicle or not. If your vehicle somehow didnt stay in a parking spot and rolled back into a car or wall without anyone in your car, its still a collision

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
If 2 vehicles collide or hit, its a collision doesnt matter if anyones in the vehicle or not. If your vehicle somehow didnt stay in a parking spot and rolled back into a car or wall without anyone in your car, its still a collision

So if my neighbor runs his lawn tractor into my vehicle, it's collision? If it is hit and run, such as in my case, it should not be collision. Period.

I'm not saying insurance companies don't "consider" it collision, I am saying it isn't right that they do.

snakezilla

Established Member
No such thing as colliding with liquid. You could argue some kids poured the paint in the road an attempt to vandalize someones car. Its Comprehensive. Even a hail claim is Comprehensive and thats water in a solid state

just saw you got it approved, good! Ive never had a client ask that. Good question!

Thanks man,:beer: I was worried about them saying it was a collision. I was thinking the same thing, How can I collid with a liquid and if you think about it I didnt hit anything, I went over a puddle of paint, then it was like mist all over the car. I see no collision with anything on my part. Now time to find a good detailer for a complete paint cleanup and correction.

I appreciate you helping me:beer:

Last edited:

adtp337

Established Member

Not true, if the car is parked and unoccupied when its hit in a hit-and-run scenario, then its handled under UMPD coverage, uninsured/under-insured motorist property damage.

Glad everything worked out for ya snake.

Jefe

Established Member
Not true, if the car is parked and unoccupied when its hit in a hit-and-run scenario, then its handled under UMPD coverage, uninsured/under-insured motorist property damage.
Not every state offers UM PD coverage, AZ doesnt. Its classified as a collision then fault and coverage is determined

So if my neighbor runs his lawn tractor into my vehicle, it's collision?
Yep, colliding with any sort of property is a collision. What coverage comes into play depends on your state like UM PD, Collision or in your scenario the neighbors Homeowners Insurance would cover it. You have options: File on your policy(not at fault collision, wont raise your rates) and then your company would subrogate against your neighbor or his insurance policy for reimbursement. Or you can directly file it on his Homeowners policy. It would be covered under your neighbors personal liability. If your neighbor is smart enough he would pay for the damage himself rather than having a claim that follows his home policy for 5 years.

If it is hit and run, such as in my case, it should not be collision. Period.
Hit and run could be classified as vandalism but each State has defined Collision to mean any 2 objects running into each other.

Comprehensive is Fire, Theft, Vandalism, Glass Breakage, Falling Objects, Wind Storm, Hail Storm, Lightning, Acts of God, Riot, Civil Commotion, Rising water, Earthquake, explosion and a few others. Everything else should be collision

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
On not at fault collision claims, if you file them on your policy because the other party didnt have insurance or didnt have enough coverage your rates wont go up because of collision claim but you might lose your accident free discount. You always want to start with the at fault parties insurance.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Yep, colliding with any sort of property is a collision.

So what happens if a tree in the neighbor's yard is struck by lightning and a branch falls on a car, is that still 'collision' since it was a collision between a vehicle and property? What about if a kid takes a sledge hammer (aka his property) and smashes someone's car...is that still under collision because there was property involved?

Not trying to argue here, just trying to understand the line between comprehensive and collision. I always thought that collision was just that, a collision between two or more vehicles or a stationary object such as a tree when the car involved was in motion. When not in motion (hit and run, branch falls down, hail, vandalism) I thought it was comprehensive automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread