Computer/AV question

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I'm trying to hook up my TV to my computer, as a second monitor. Sounds simple, right? Here's the connection to my video card (cable going to the TV is on the right) :
monitors1.jpg

(yes, some canned air is in order here. :) )

...And here's the back of my 47" Vizio, with the cable connected via an adapter:
monitors2.jpg

Both seem to be fully seated, requiring no further tightening. Finally, here are my display settings in XP:
monitors3.jpg

Initially it will display higher resolutions than 1920x1080, but after activating the second display (checking the box and clicking apply) 1920x1080 becomes the maximum choice. So, it seems like the video card (ATI Radeon 2600) is detecting the TV. But, when selecting RGB from my TV's input options (as well as everything else, just in case) there's no signal. I also understand that I need the refresh rate set to 60Hz, which it is:
monitors4.jpg

Any ideas what my problem is? :??:

Ironhand

Banned
Try to run just the TV and see if it works.

If it doesnt then that means your graphics card is incapable of running due to not enough memory trying to display too many pixels.

I would also make sure you have a DVI-D cable and not just a DVI cable. You need it for the extra resolution since you're trying to display what amounts to 4 times 1080 resolution.

One last thing. Using a VGA adaptor just kills resolution(Digital to analog signal). I would use an HDMI, DVI-D, Display port, or mini display port.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Thanks! I read your response on my phone before bed yesterday, and made a note to try it this morning after work (work graveyard).

Try to run just the TV and see if it works.

If it doesnt then that means your graphics card is incapable of running due to not enough memory trying to display too many pixels.
No dice, even on 800x600. I know this is an older video card, but is it really not up to this task? (I believe it has 512MB of RAM onboard.)

I would also make sure you have a DVI-D cable and not just a DVI cable. You need it for the extra resolution since you're trying to display what amounts to 4 times 1080 resolution.
Okay, I feel dumb here, but what's the difference? I suppose I could Google it, or at least look at my receipt from Monoprice... :)

Monoprice email said:
15ft 28AWG CL2 Dual Link DVI-D Cable - Black
Ah, I should be good.

One last thing. Using a VGA adaptor just kills resolution(Digital to analog signal). I would use an HDMI, DVI-D, Display port, or mini display port.
My TV doesn't have a DVI port. :( My motherboard has an HDMI output, but the video card doesn't.

Troubleshooting this just now, I connected only the TV to the card (via the left hand port), and VNC'd into the computer from my laptop. I tried both 800x600, and the maximum 1920x1080, but the TV showed no signal when set to RGB. Its input selections also have AV (pretty sure I know what that is, and it ain't the RGB port :) ) and Comp; I tried both of those just to be sure I'm not confused there, but the TV doesn't see anything on any of the selections.

Is it time for a new video card, or should I just pull it out and run MB video, as long as I'm not doing any serious gaming?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd review the options on your TV to make sure it doesnt need to be setup to use the analog signal. Also look up the specs on your TV to see what resolution it should use. I had the same issue with a TV when trying to use 1080p and it ended up having some obscure res. 1366x768 I think? It isnt always a matter of the min or max res, but the compatible one.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Ah, okay. Other sites are also saying it's 1366x768 that I need, but in the XP settings, and going into the video card software, the closest I can get is 1360x768. This doesn't work, and I can't find anything for custom resolutions. The NVidia software we have at work has this, but I can't find it anywhere in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. My Google-fu is showing me only complicated registry hacks that might achieve an alternative resolution; this is almost as bad as Linux. :)

Is there an easier way, or am I still going about it all wrong?

Ironhand

Banned
Ah, okay. Other sites are also saying it's 1366x768 that I need, but in the XP settings, and going into the video card software, the closest I can get is 1360x768. This doesn't work, and I can't find anything for custom resolutions. The NVidia software we have at work has this, but I can't find it anywhere in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. My Google-fu is showing me only complicated registry hacks that might achieve an alternative resolution; this is almost as bad as Linux. :)

Is there an easier way, or am I still going about it all wrong?

My ATI even allows me to setup scaling, custom resolutions, etc. But that is on stronger GPUS.

2x 7950s and a 7770.

It may be worth an upgrade on the GPU.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2600 is a rather dated card, so I dont imagine you're doing much gaming anyways. A big upgrade could be had for under 100$ easily.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Never heard a bad thing about the 7770's.

Whats the rest of your rig setup? You might bet more bang for your buck with a whole new system around 300$

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Yeah, it may be time for a new system build, but money's tight right now. Right now I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 955 on an ASUS motherboard. I'm still running XP 32 bit, and am getting only 3.25 GB of RAM out of my 2x2GB sticks.

And I dunno, that cable might be a little too rich for my blood! :D Kidding, of course. Might be worth trying if I'm willing to ditch the video card...

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, it may be time for a new system build, but money's tight right now. Right now I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 955 on an ASUS motherboard. I'm still running XP 32 bit, and am getting only 3.25 GB of RAM out of my 2x2GB sticks.

And I dunno, that cable might be a little too rich for my blood! :D Kidding, of course. Might be worth trying if I'm willing to ditch the video card...

Nah, you're still plenty recent enough to warrant a 100$ vid card. I wouldnt go much over that though.

that 6$ converter is probably your best bet. :beer:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
If you have a free HDMI connector on your TV, you should connect the computer to the TV with a DVI to HDMI cable. That's how I have mine connected and the picture is crystal clear at 1920x1080.

Trying to run 1920x1080 with an analog VGA connector could be the problem here, especially if you're able to see lower resolutions. It could be that the TV doesn't support that high of a resolution on the RGB VGA connector.

Ironhand

Banned
The Processor is strong enough for most games even today.

I would get the XFX 7770 Double D. Same price as the other 7770 listed but XFX has awesome customer support IMO.

Also, switch to Windows 7 Professional and run it in 64 bit. Between the OS and GPU it will help alot dealing with the higher resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread