Computer purchase help. Dell Vs HP

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
what about gateway? do they build good comps? looking to get a gaming comp for my bro's bday. was thinking of getting a dell xps or a gateway.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Next question:

Is Vista still a nightmare?

nope, im running vista ultimate x64 bit and its run smooth since day 1 :beer: I found out the reason why i kept getting the blue screen wasnt because of my OS or PC, it was because of the poorly made program that ate too much memory.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
nope, im running vista ultimate x64 bit and its run smooth since day 1 :beer: I found out the reason why i kept getting the blue screen wasnt because of my OS or PC, it was because of the poorly made program that ate too much memory.

hey, you seem to know alot about comps. was looking for a gaming comp for m younger brother. he downloads music and videos and games often. Hes a WoW player. what would be a good system. wanted to keep it under 1200. any help would be great.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
hey, you seem to know alot about comps. was looking for a gaming comp for m younger brother. he downloads music and videos and games often. Hes a WoW player. what would be a good system. wanted to keep it under 1200. any help would be great.

for 1200$ i can build him a beastly system!
I can use the same parts as i stated above that i use, just replace the 9800 GX2 cards i use with 2 9600GTs and your looking at close to 1200 with everything. Cheaper if he doesnt want a custom watercooling kit of course :beer:

Last edited:

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
for 1200$ i can build him a beastly system!
I can use the same parts as i stated above that i use, just replace the 9800 GX2 cards i use with 2 9600GTs and your looking at close to 1200 with everything. Cheaper if he doesnt want a custom watercooling kit of course :beer:

nice, you mind helping me out? do you build it yourself or do you know a site or somethign? :beer:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i bought a HP pavillion laptop in nov., havent had a single problem with it. vista runs smooth as silk. it only had 1 gb of ram though, so i bought a 2gb card, and replaced 1 of the 512's. so im up to 2.5gb. after rebates at circuitcity it was only 700 i think... i dont think it was a bad deal

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Dell is awful. im on right now, waiting for the blue screen of death to come up and own me.

its slow as hell and i think they are just terrible. i tried to clean up the memory and stuff, but it just seems to keep getting slower and worse.

+1 on Apple

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
nice, you mind helping me out? do you build it yourself or do you know a site or somethign? :beer:

You can build what i just put together today for 880 shipped with no mouse or keyboard or monitor, basically the comp itself and will WALK ALL OVER WoW, run at near the highest settings on Crysis ect. Add a Second card for SLI and you can run anything that is out now, or in the near future at stupid monitor settings for ALONG time to come

I play Age of connan which is about the highest draw graphics wise for a online game and this system will near crush that on the highest settings....and like i said it can be done for ALOT less the a 1000 bucks.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
You can build what i just put together today for 880 shipped with no mouse or keyboard or monitor, basically the comp itself and will WALK ALL OVER WoW, run at near the highest settings on Crysis ect. Add a Second card for SLI and you can run anything that is out now, or in the near future at stupid monitor settings for ALONG time to come

I play Age of connan which is about the highest draw graphics wise for a online game and this system will near crush that on the highest settings....and like i said it can be done for ALOT less the a 1000 bucks.

im sorry but theres NO WAY your computer with a single card thats not as good as mine, PLUS i run dual cards, can you play crysis near the highest settings. Your lucky to be able to play crysis on low-medium settings with that.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I would not go with one of those brands you would find at like Best Buy or Circuit City. They load it up with so much crap, the speed is already cut in half right out of the box. Building your own computer is so cheap and if you can turn a wrench you can put cards in the only slot they will fit in. People think computers are so confusing to work on, they are jokes.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
im sorry but theres NO WAY your computer with a single card thats not as good as mine, PLUS i run dual cards, can you play crysis near the highest settings. Your lucky to be able to play crysis on low-medium settings with that.

Nothing to be sorry about it does.

there are reviews around the net with the MB i'm running with 1 gig more ram with camparable cards doing just that med to high settings sorry.

Heres just one i found from some quick looking, this guy was having over hearting and HD issues but the fact remains
System Specs:
AMD ATHLON X2 6400+ @ 3.22Ghz (soon to be overclocked)
XFX 8800GT 512MB Alpha Dog XXX Edition
2GB DDR2800 Corsair XMS2 Memory
500Watt UV Sleeved
M2N-E SLI Motherboard
"I can run 3Dmark06 and Crysis Maxed out no lag throughly no hic ups."
http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19631

And as far as personal experiance, depending on what your concidering "medium and high" settings for crysis, yes that system WILL run crysis very well. Sorry man, it will

Ralph

Established Member
I purchased a Dell XPS for my brother in Iraq a week ago. Searched google for a coupon code and got 25% off. Ended up saving $300+.

Pretty decent specs too :D

sonicboom141

I want a cobra!
Established Member
HP
I will never purchase another dell having purchased 2 at the same time. Out of the box one had a friend motherboard, they now both do not even work. I was going to order the recovery discs for them since they didnt even come with them like they should (thought it wouldnt be a problem). 1st assistant told me it would be no problem and got transferred, next person said it was $40 and transferred to sales, sales told me I didnt qualify for the discs because I was beyond warranty, they transferred me to the manager after 1 hour finally. Manager said I can buy them for $40 and they will send them out. Wtf whatever ill buy them. 1 month later NOTHING. Called them back, 1 hour later got ahold of a manager, oh you didnt buy the discs you bought online technical support. WTF I know what I need to do I dont need help. Still have yet to receive payment back.

Bought 2 hp from circuit city(for me and my mom) zero problems whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread