Conclussion to my MT82 saga and contacting Ford

byeofcr

Established Member
Well, to be honest, there isnt one. I got the car back on Friday and by last night it was grinding and popping out of reverse and popping out of 2nd gear. Both when cold and when warm. so here is what they did to my trans while they had it from july 7 2011 (i picked up the car on Aug 18th from service):
TSB 11-3-18 (fluid)
F-Ring synchro (x2)
CB Cone-ring-synchro (x2)
A gear 6th speed
E bearing assy-needle
A shaft assy Output
BB Cone and Gear assy 5th speed
A gear mainshaft 2nd speed
C Ring Synchro
A seal assy- oil
A Seal-input shaft
A plug-blanking
KB hub synchrO
retainer interlocking spring
"REPLACE 6TH GEAR BLOCKER RING SYNCRO ASSY, REPLACE 1ST 2ND BLOCKER RINGS AND SYNCROS, REPLACE SIFT RAIL BEARING RETAINER, S SEALS AND ALL ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS FOR REPAIR. REASSEMBLE RT OK."
So after over a month of waiting this is what was performed. During this time I contacted Ford Customer Care and wrote a couple of emails explaining the situation and the issues of the transmission. I also wrote to the NHTSA. Look I know some people have no problems with their transmission's and others like me, have issue after issue, so depending on which side of the fence your on, is your point of view. But I don't make the big bucks, i make enough to responsibly own this car, take care of bills and have some left over for living every month. So I felt contacting Ford and bringing the issue to their attention was my best option. I explained the scenario and how there are lots of people having issues with this transmission. They responded back very promptly and had someone contact me and she explained that if the engineers tell the dealership rebuild the trans, that is what they do. Now, i do not doubt the technicians ability but i was hoping they were going to replace the transmission entirely after all to have it rebuilt at 2000 miles is a bit much for me. but said ill give it a try. They also offered to make a one month payment for me which was nice. all in all they were very pleasant and my case is documented.
But, here I am a day later and its acting up. not to the point where if i brought it in to show them what its doing it'll do it every time but it definitely popped out of gear 4 times and grinded or would not go into reverse multiple times. So Ill be contacting the dealer on Monday and let them know whats going on with it.
Id recommend anyone who has this issue to contact Ford and make at least a case number. They contacted the dealer and all of a sudden my phone would ring after not hearing from them unless I called to find out what was going on. they put about 100 miles on my car according to my mileage in on the service sheet so i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt grind or pop out on the tech driving it. A solution to a problem wont come up if the issue is documented enough. anyway I hope my experience isnt the same for others. but i am not giving up yet! i still love these cars!:-D

Last edited by a moderator:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i bet it is just a case of some cars got a bad batch of transmissions. i wonder if ford looked into this. hope they end up just getting a new tranny for you so you can put your mind to rest on this. good luck man.

WHITEMACH

Established Member
dang!!! mine has worked great since it was fixed clutch and all! sounds like the dealer didnt dig deep enough into it!!! sorry keep after them!!!

byeofcr

Established Member
im not touching the car modification wise until theres a solution available. which is a shame since thats part of the fun of owning a mustang but i dont want any warranty issues as long as this trans is acting up.

L454S

Established Member
M6

Almost sounds like a case of " let's throw some parts at it cause I don't know whats wrong".........very possible because there are a very few manual cars sold compared to autos. Finding a tech who knows a stick is tough.......I know, I did tranny work at the dealer for many years. Was glad I did sticks for lots of projects and not just at the dealer.

I guess this could be the problem on some of these with tranny issues. If there was a dealer with a decent stick tech, could be some of this crap would be solved.

4500mi. , mine shifts great....

I do believe in changing out the FF early(metallic looking fluid) and will be putting Redline MTL back in. I dislike going to the dealer for any kind of fluids.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I feel your pain..

I went through the same crap with Ford. Mine made a HORRIBLE whining noise 1st-4th, and was notchy/grinding randomly. Sometimes it wouldn't go into gear at all.

They opted to rebuild the transmission, and it took them over a month to get it done. I got it back, and it's been "ok". The whine is gone for the most part.. but, it's still notchy at times. Sometimes it shifts smooth as butter.. But, I'm thinking it has more to do with the shifter assembly than the trans itself. Either way, I haven't been very pleased with this manual trans setup. I've owned quite a few manual cars, and I have never had issues like I've had with this one.

Check your state laws on Lemon Law claims. In Louisiana, if the dealer keeps your vehicle for more than 30 days for the same issue, you have a pretty good chance of winning a Lemon Law claim. The fact that it's been more than 30 days, and you're still having the same issue should be more than enough. I chose not to file for it, even though they had my car for more than a month, because I believe that they fixed it properly, and I haven't had any problems with it since (in regards to the trans itself).

Travis

CPRsm

Look into the lemon laws in your state. Most are 3 times to fix, or more than 30 days out of your possession before the law requires them to buy it back. If they absolutely can;t fix or won't replace the trans, it may have to be an option.

byeofcr

Established Member
well im looking into lemon laws but i dont really understand the process to be honest. It says 3 attempts (this is the 2nd) or more than 30 days with the vehicle. which it was.
then it says i have to send a certified letter to the manufacturer and allow them a final time to fix the car. so if anyone with any knowledge on the subject wants to chime in.