Confused by Eaton whine

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I've heard some modified Cobras before. Sounded stock until the gas was hit hard and the blower really started whining. Okay, my car sounds like I got a damn Pro-charger on it. Whines from the start, at idle and gets louder as it goes. Do all you guys' cars do this? What is it? The Gatorback belt? The non-slip pulley? Never heard a Cobra sound like mine. Sounds like an old gear drive on a muscle car. I don't mind it. It sounds cool, just unexpected. Making sure there's nothing wrong. Changed a lot of parts the past two days :shrug:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Its the gatorback belt. I had a guy at a gas station ask me after I pulled in if I was running a centrifugal S/C because of the noise the belt makes. I think it sounds pretty sweet...

Also if you have a Triax, Pro 5.0, etc...you can get a lot of gear whine up through the tranny tunnel. That could be adding to your noise.

n2fords2003

Established Member
Check your BOV!!! If its open at idle then it makes the blower really loud. You can even reach over and open it with your hand with the car is running to see what I am talking about. I left the vacuum hose off and it was open and I thought my blower was eating its self up!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
Check your BOV!!! If its open at idle then it makes the blower really loud. You can even reach over and open it with your hand with the car is running to see what I am talking about. I left the vacuum hose off and it was open and I thought my blower was eating its self up!

Are you refering to the boost bypass mod?

I thought BOV's were on turbo cars. I guess they're basically the same thing.

Last edited:

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
It's definitely the Gatorback belt. If you throw an idler pulley on, it'll dampen the sound a lot.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by TRDNiteLife
It's definitely the Gatorback belt. If you throw an idler pulley on, it'll dampen the sound a lot.

Don't really mind the noise, just unexpected and wanted to see why it was doing it. Guess it's "normal".

adam

Established Member
I have heard a couple make the noise also, but it was because of the type of pulley they changed to.

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
so just having a new belt put on will make the car whine at idle....ideas ideas.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by svtang03
how much are gatorback belts and can i get them at places such as autozone?

About $25 at AutoZone. If they don't have them in stock, they'll order it for you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 1973_Mach_1
so just having a new belt put on will make the car whine at idle....ideas ideas.
Not if it's a Gates belt. A Gatorback belt will make noise. I think I'm talking myself into trying one.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i have one and love it... really sounds sweet... when at idle and driving in town slow enough to not hit boost you can hear the gatorbelt... when on it... well, the eaton takes over. Damn i love these cars!!!

RB88

Established Member
Just for clarity, you will get more whine by putting on a Gatorback belt, even the car is stock?

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by RB88
Just for clarity, you will get more whine by putting on a Gatorback belt, even the car is stock?

The belt whine and supercharger whine are two different things. With a Gatorback belt the car will sound like it has a centrifugal supercharger. At wide open throttle it will sound different than stock but not like a pullied Cobra.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I just swapped to a GB from a gates on a SFPHQ non slip pulley. It had a slight whine with only the pully (cause of the grooves i think) and now its a little more pronounced at idle. I like it! Comparatively, it sounds like the powerdyne on my old 95 GT did noise level and pitchwise. (i have an idler also so that probably dampens the sound some.)

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Not if it's a Gates belt. A Gatorback belt will make noise. I think I'm talking myself into trying one.

I have a gates belt and mine is extremely loud. I dont think it has anything to do with the belt. I have and 03, my roommate has an 03 and another really close friend has one. Each supercharger sounds different. Even when we all had the same mods my supercharger was extremely loud. That was before I put a pully on too!

Users who are viewing this thread