Connecting rod replacement cost

JimIII@jdm

The iron blocks have sleeves?

Well not sleeves I meant the Cylinder walls. The factory thickness ranges from .170"-.220" they are not very consistent and vary from cylinder to cylinder so this can be a problem at higher power levels as the walls start to distort.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well not sleeves I meant the Cylinder walls. The factory thickness ranges from .170"-.220" they are not very consistent and vary from cylinder to cylinder so this can be a problem at higher power levels as the walls start to distort.

I always hated that consistency, but it's just proof of the block's design roots.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Jim, what are the power ratings for the 11-12 pistons? I have a long term goal of getting to 1000 crank hp with approx 850-900 whp. Likely will be going the TVS 2 2.65L route when available with Water/Methanol Injection.

My hope is that ill be able to just do rods, crank sprocket and oil pump gears at that time, leaving cams for later should i choose to upgrade them.

musclemustangcb

Established Member
Jim, what are the power ratings for the 11-12 pistons? I have a long term goal of getting to 1000 crank hp with approx 850-900 whp. Likely will be going the TVS 2 2.65L route when available with Water/Methanol Injection.

My hope is that ill be able to just do rods, crank sprocket and oil pump gears at that time, leaving cams for later should i choose to upgrade them.

I can tell you the 2010 pistons will not do it. I just lost one at 715whp.

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

The stock pistons can handle a decent amount of power probably what your looking at doing but if you go back to the top of this thread and read my first response you'll see exactly what you need to do.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I can tell you the 2010 pistons will not do it. I just lost one at 715whp.

Pistons are the same between all years I believe. But it depends. I had a set holding 750whp for 50,000 miles. Evenetually melted 3. Put another factory shortblock in, now making 850-900 wheel with no issues (yet). Also not spinning it past 6,000 RPM though. I am going to be building the original block out of my car this winter though, so I can more safely turn it up with bigger turbos in the spring.

Last edited:

musclemustangcb

Established Member
Pistons are the same between all years I believe. But it depends. I had a set holding 750whp for 50,000 miles. Evenetually melted 3. Put another factory shortblock in, now making 850-900 wheel with no issues (yet). Also not spinning it past 6,000 RPM though. I am going to be building the original block out of my car this winter though, so I can more safely turn it up with bigger turbos in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread