Considering 2011 GT500, help me!

AndyrooSnek

I’ve got my eye on a race red 11’ GT500. I’ve scoured the internet trying to find any info of the platform to help me make my decision of purchasing or not (reliability, common maintenance issues, etc) so that brings me here.
The car has 55k miles on it. Engine sounds good (no noise or anything odd) and trans shifts fine except for the common fast shift from 1-2 grinding/ not going into gear.
Is there anything I could be looking for/ asking dealer to do maintenance wise? What’s a fair/expected price for this year and mileage? Any help here is much appreciated.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I had an 11 and loved it. Shoot myself for literally giving it away. Mine was very reliable. MGW shifter helps with the 1-2 shift but your synchros are likely trashed. Personally I wouldn’t buy a GT500 with that kind of mileage unless I could get direct cheap Like 26-28K. I would spend 35K and get something with much fewer miles.

AndyrooSnek

I had an 11 and loved it. Shoot myself for literally giving it away. Mine was very reliable. MGW shifter helps with the 1-2 shift but your synchros are likely trashed. Personally I wouldn’t buy a GT500 with that kind of mileage unless I could get direct cheap Like 26-28K. I would spend 35K and get something with much fewer miles.
Any prices I see right now (private & dealer) are low to mid 40s for half the miles.
That was half of my concern is the investment, considering this car is just under 40k.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Any prices I see right now (private & dealer) are low to mid 40s for half the miles.
That was half of my concern is the investment, considering this car is just under 40k.

There's an ass for every seat.
Buy what makes you happy
Avoid cars with existing major mechanical problems. That trans, COULD BE and it MAY need more than a shifter and fresh Amsoil ATF fluid to fix it.

Avoid heavily modded cars with unknown history.
I'm in Savannah, if I was closer, I would help ya out and go look at it.

Do you have a link to the car?
Do you plan on modding the car?!?!

I've had an 11, 12 and 13

AndyrooSnek

There's an ass for every seat.
Buy what makes you happy
Avoid cars with existing major mechanical problems. That trans, COULD BE and it MAY need more than a shifter and fresh Amsoil ATF fluid to fix it.

Avoid heavily modded cars with unknown history.
I'm in Savannah, if I was closer, I would help ya out and go look at it.

Do you have a link to the car?
Do you plan on modding the car?!?!

I've had an 11, 12 and 13
Here’s a link to the car

Completely stock, decent condition
If anything maybe Intake exhaust and a pulley?

Thanks for all the help!

850SNCobra

Established Member
Looks to be all stock to me. No aux idler pulley which is usually required when swapping to a smaller pulley.

I also notice what looks to be black dust by the front of the supercharger which usually means belt slip when under boost.

Looks to be a stock intake too, I could be wrong on that though. Can't really tell on the exhaust from the pictures, looks like it could be stock but a little hard to tell for sure.

AndyrooSnek

Looks to be all stock to me. No aux idler pulley which is usually required when swapping to a smaller pulley.

I also notice what looks to be black dust by the front of the supercharger which usually means belt slip when under boost.

Looks to be a stock intake too, I could be wrong on that though. Can't really tell on the exhaust from the pictures, looks like it could be stock but a little hard to tell for sure.
I noticed that as well, serpentine was fraying a little and small bit on blower belt. I’ve got the car on hold with them looking over my maintenance concerns/ fixing them.

Is the car over priced? (I say that considering current used car values right now)
I’m a younger guy, no kids, so I feel like this could be one of the last times I get to have something like this with wife’s approval lol

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I would look for lower miles.
If " they " say it's stock, get it in writing.
Would not buy a modded car unless I knew it's history..

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
It is a performance pack optioned car which is great; 3:73 rear gears vs 3:55

Cam sensor leaking, right hand side? Why all the black looking soot by alternator
Stripes are missing on rear bumper? Repainted, repaired, replaced? I do not think ford makes those stripes anymore?
Steering wheel is really icky. That won't clean out
Air Filter dirty af. To me, an air filter can tell a lot. Namely, it hasnt been changed in 55k miles.

I am very over critical. But I like a clean engine bay. I do not buy cars to start with an engine bay restoration.

Good appearance and presentation will get me to unload my cash anytime.
Shop around, be willing travel and ship a car. The right car

Last edited:

AndyrooSnek

It is a performance pack optioned car which is great; 3:73 rear gears vs 3:55

Cam sensor leaking, right hand side? Why all the black looking soot by alternator
Stripes are missing on rear bumper? Repainted, repaired, replaced? I do not think ford makes those stripes anymore?
Steering wheel is really icky. That won't clean out
Air Filter dirty af. To me, an air filter can tell a lot. Namely, it hasnt been changed in 55k miles.

I am very over critical. But I like a clean engine bay. I do not buy cars to start with an engine bay restoration.

Good appearance and presentation will get me to unload my cash anytime.
Shop around, be willing travel and ship a car. The right car
This^^ I noticed all of this. The upside- it’s at CarMax, with a small price an added warranty can help a lot. Front bumper and rear bumper had residue/ fading from stripes so maybe just removed?
Thank you for your over critical-ness. It’s what I’m looking for. This is the cheapest 11-12 GT500 I’ve found without crazy miles.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
This^^ I noticed all of this. The upside- it’s at CarMax, with a small price an added warranty can help a lot. Front bumper and rear bumper had residue/ fading from stripes so maybe just removed?
Thank you for your over critical-ness. It’s what I’m looking for. This is the cheapest 11-12 GT500 I’ve found without crazy miles.
This is in conway, down the road from you

<this link works, even though it says unavailable

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Call my office and I will give you a critical hit list before you even think of buying. I get a car a week that could have averted issues by simply walking away. 352-800-4407 9a-5p eastern weekdays
Venomous Tuning

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Kevinbonds

Established Member
It looks like a clean car. I would not be worried about the miles, that's if it was a one owner and someone drove it and enjoyed it. The engine bay isn't prefect, but to me I like that in a used car. Some used car places clean the entire engine bay, then you cannot really get a sense of how the prior owner took care of it. The transmission grind can happen on any car, I bought my GT500 with 21K miles, and it had the trans rebuilt by the dealer under warranty by the first owner at 10K miles. So, it's a hit or miss with the trans. The only way to tell if the car is ready to roll is to get a PPI. When I bought my car, I had a deal with the seller that I would buy it pending a good compression test and PPI. The only other that worries me on this car is the rear bumper, it's missing the stripe, so I would need some comfort that that car wasn't in a major accident.

850SNCobra

Established Member
I noticed that as well, serpentine was fraying a little and small bit on blower belt. I’ve got the car on hold with them looking over my maintenance concerns/ fixing them.

Is the car over priced? (I say that considering current used car values right now)
I’m a younger guy, no kids, so I feel like this could be one of the last times I get to have something like this with wife’s approval lol

If they are asking around 35-40K I would hold out for a better deal due to it's higher mileage. Depending on the price and your goals for the car, the mileage may not even matter if you are looking for a car to drive and not keep it as a collectors car.

Kickass

When I bought my shelby I took it to an SVT dealer and had tons of tests done on It. I also asked the body shop manager to check out the body while in service . It cost me about 250.00 cdn. A shelby is a big investment and I dont want to be screwed right off the bat.I dont have any grinding from 1-2, the only thing is that it’s sometimes hard to get it into 3rd but you just muscle through it. I love my shelby. Good luck with your purchase.

Classic Car, Truck and Motorcycle Values | Hagerty Valuation Tools®. This is a great place to see values of cars in Canada. Many insurance companies use it here as do evaluators.

this is my first message on this board!!! Cheers

Last edited:

FirstTexan

Established Member
I only buy low mileage when used. I just picked up a 2011 Race red with 5k one owner Arizona miles. Original F1s like new. As honest a car as you could find. Never seen a wet road. I would not buy a GT500 with more than 25k miles. Too many chances to run it ragged. That's just me.

Attachments

• red shelby (2).jpg
    red shelby (2).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 45
  • GT500 Red.jpg
    GT500 Red.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 40

XP900

Established Member
I wonder what the percentage is of these early GT500s with the 1st to 2nd gear grind. I never even knew about it until after I had already made my purchase years ago. Not sure what years it was actually a problem with but I never had the issue thankfully. However, I still installed an MGW shifter to get rid of the excessive 1 inch slop and it should have been my first mod..not 2 years later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread