Considering Cams

Rice Killa

Established Member
I have a 07 with 2.5 upper, JLT 123mm, VMP 67mm TB, MRT off-road h pipe, Ford Racing touring axle backs, and Shelby heat exchanger with dual fans. I don’t race and this is more of a family cruiser/ show car. I’ve been looking at doing a set of custom grind cams for that lopey idle and some hp gains. What numbers should I expect with the stock m122? I’ll be adding a 10% overdrive as well as bigger injectors also. As much as I want cams, I can also upgrade my blower for cheaper then getting cams installed. What’s everyone’s opinion on this. Pros and cons. I feel that I would be happy either way, but it’s just something about a cammed car.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Cams always sound awesome, but upgrading your blower will definitely get you some big hp gains. Decisions, decisions..
Like BJ said it all depends on what your plans for the car are and it will definitely save you money in the long run to sit with a calibrator and figure out a plan of attack.

JimIII@jdm

I have a 07 with 2.5 upper, JLT 123mm, VMP 67mm TB, MRT off-road h pipe, Ford Racing touring axle backs, and Shelby heat exchanger with dual fans. I don’t race and this is more of a family cruiser/ show car. I’ve been looking at doing a set of custom grind cams for that lopey idle and some hp gains. What numbers should I expect with the stock m122? I’ll be adding a 10% overdrive as well as bigger injectors also. As much as I want cams, I can also upgrade my blower for cheaper then getting cams installed. What’s everyone’s opinion on this. Pros and cons. I feel that I would be happy either way, but it’s just something about a cammed car.

There will be more to gain from cams once you upgrade the blower, so my vote is go for the bigger charger then do cams later. Everyone loves that lumpy idle but with the stock blower your power gains aren't as great and you are generating a ton of heat espcially when it's pulled with a smaller upper and big lower. Put a TVS or a 2.9L on it for now, you'll gain 100+ HP and then do cams next year!

I recommend our complete Super Stock Max Performance kit while the motor is open doing the cams... http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-gt500-super-stock-camshaft-max-performance-kit/

JimIII

VNMOUS1

Established Member
There will be more to gain from cams once you upgrade the blower, so my vote is go for the bigger charger then do cams later. Everyone loves that lumpy idle but with the stock blower your power gains aren't as great and you are generating a ton of heat espcially when it's pulled with a smaller upper and big lower. Put a TVS or a 2.9L on it for now, you'll gain 100+ HP and then do cams next year!

I recommend our complete Super Stock Max Performance kit while the motor is open doing the cams... http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-gt500-super-stock-camshaft-max-performance-kit/

JimIII
This

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tighteyes

Established Member
But honestly lets take a step back and remember that lumpy lopey idle makes for the tight pants at shows son!! Also motor pull for anything not NSR cam.......onces that happens have a handy dandy 5k to do the motor muscle up!! because our motors have them weak arms that let that piston fly!

Users who are viewing this thread