Considering repainting entire car

JohninAZ4

Established Member
I have an 03 Satin Silver coupe (anniversary ed). Because it's been outdoors all it's life, the original paint has had enough...from sun fade/damage to repeated vandalism (3x) and everything in between. I'm replacing some panels and considering a CF Heat Extractor hood (with functional hood pins).

I am looking at going Sonic Blue or Comp Orange. I am fairly set on changing the color so don't ask me why. The only reason I would even think about restoring the factory silver is if it would matter to a collector who wants original and has the $$$ to buy NOW (+it will cost more than BB). Otherwise, I will NEVER sell this car so it might as well be what I wanted in the first place.

I have been quoted by 4 local shops $5000 for a decent complete paint job. Im sure that can go up depending on color and prep but I cannot afford more than $7000. I live in the Phoenix/Tucson area and am just now starting to research reputable shops. I am paying cash up front. Does anyone know such a place? Other than assuring the shop is state of the art, sealed and vented, what else should I look for or do? None of those shops want a car that has been prepped by the owner so I am not going to do anything other than provide new parts (front bumper, both front quarter panels and possible CF hood). All badging/emblems will be removed except for the original rear embossed COBRA bumper. I also want the molding lines around L/R mirrors and bumpers sanded smooth so they don't look like they actually came out of a mold.

After that, a new (Magnum) TR6060 is going in with an upgraded clutch/flywheel, CF driveshaft and upgraded half-shafts.

Black2010

Established Member
I think those quotes are way to cheap for a real color change. That sounds more along the lines of a respray done right.

First thing to always check with any painter is their work they just finished. Look it over real well. Do you see tape lines, orange peal , debris in paint, even coating (look in and under parts), etc.

For a color swap you are looking at door jambs, trunk, bottom side of the trunk lid, and (most expensive part) the engine bay. If you don't do at min these things on a color change the car will look half assed. You wont like it long term and resale will be nearly impossible for a decent price.

A true color change should include the removal of all panels vs just taping things off. With paint jobs you get what you pay for so if you have your heart set on that I would strongly consider saving up a bit more and making sure it's done right the first time. If someone will do that for $7K and they do great work and back their product up that's awesome but I think it's going to be tough to get a good color change done for that price.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I think those quotes are way to cheap for a real color change. That sounds more along the lines of a respray done right.

First thing to always check with any painter is their work they just finished. Look it over real well. Do you see tape lines, orange peal , debris in paint, even coating (look in and under parts), etc.

For a color swap you are looking at door jambs, trunk, bottom side of the trunk lid, and (most expensive part) the engine bay. If you don't do at min these things on a color change the car will look half assed. You wont like it long term and resale will be nearly impossible for a decent price.

A true color change should include the removal of all panels vs just taping things off. With paint jobs you get what you pay for so if you have your heart set on that I would strongly consider saving up a bit more and making sure it's done right the first time. If someone will do that for $7K and they do great work and back their product up that's awesome but I think it's going to be tough to get a good color change done for that price.

Agreed. I think for a quality color change you're looking at least $10k but probably more.

When I had my black cobra repainted I was quoted between $5-10k from the most reputable shop in my area. I only ended up closer to $5k because the body work was very minimal.

I would save up more if you're set on a color change or weigh other options.

JohninAZ4

Established Member
Thanks for the info...the quotes for 5k included things like door jambs, removal of door panels, inside hood/trunk (except CF hood), removal of rocker panels, removal of headlights/taillights/mouldings/seals and even the side scoops (I may purchase those separately prepainted)...all except inside engine bay. I was told by a friend that in order to do the engine bay the engine would have to be removed/lifted. Either way, I am not too keen on a body/paint shop messin around there. If they have a fully qualified mechanic that's another matter and would justify/explain the 10k price point. But still, that is way out of my range and like I said...not interested in selling or showing, so engine bay can stay original. I don't see what else would add to the cost since the hood wouldn't need paint and there would be no body repair work + new panels and front bumper...just paint and install. I understand that 5k is a STARTING point...but really, how much of that is materials vs. labor vs. unforeseen costs? For 10k I could have a start-up myself.

MG0h3

Established Member
I would not do a color change. I think you would be way better off selling yours and putting the money towards the color car you want.

If the car didn't come out perfect I would be kicking myself forever. Also, just because you think you'll never sell it doesn't mean that will be the case years down the road and a color change will hurt you in my opinion.

JohninAZ4

Established Member
I understand everyone's hesitance and perhaps, belief, in my love for this car. I appreciate the concerns. I love this car more than my future ex-wife and stepkids...but it's ok, she won't complain when the engine bay isn't matching because she knows we're on a budget and she really just wants to be more responsive. She knows she will never be perfect, nor will I, and we're ok with that. So, you are right, I MAY sell her years from now...for no less than 2-4 times the sticker price. Right now though, it's unimaginable to sell her for even a modest profit...I don't want someone elses' termi and I don't want to start all over. I already have a bond with this one and we have a very good relationship. Like, I know, just by listening, if she's not feeling well or needs something. It's uncanny, but even when we're cruising 80 on the freeway or 40 in town, and the radio is full blast, I can sense when something isn't right. But no matter what, she doesn't care what others think about her, and I love that about her!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info...the quotes for 5k included things like door jambs, removal of door panels, inside hood/trunk (except CF hood), removal of rocker panels, removal of headlights/taillights/mouldings/seals and even the side scoops (I may purchase those separately prepainted)...all except inside engine bay. I was told by a friend that in order to do the engine bay the engine would have to be removed/lifted. Either way, I am not too keen on a body/paint shop messin around there. If they have a fully qualified mechanic that's another matter and would justify/explain the 10k price point. But still, that is way out of my range and like I said...not interested in selling or showing, so engine bay can stay original. I don't see what else would add to the cost since the hood wouldn't need paint and there would be no body repair work + new panels and front bumper...just paint and install. I understand that 5k is a STARTING point...but really, how much of that is materials vs. labor vs. unforeseen costs? For 10k I could have a start-up myself.

So you want to change the color on the entire car, other than the engine bay?

Leave the car silver.

Black2010

Established Member
I can appreciate your passion for this to be a true keeper of a car but you also have to plan for the unexpected. You mention future "ex-wife" and future"step-kids". I know you're "probably" kidding about that part but it tells me your a younger individual. I don't consider myself old but at 38 I've been around the block a few times. Life events happen and no matter how well you plan things can and do change. I've had a couple, "I'm getting buried in this car" cars but when you find that right person and you do decide to have kids (and get older) that pride and joy starts looking more like just a car than a life necessary requirement.

It's your car and I would never look down on someone for making it their own but you also have to be smart about it and think long term. Cutting corners always cost you more in the long run, trust me. I've said the same things of that _____ or ____ wont matter. Trust me that when you've done with everything else you wanted to do to the car you will always go back to that one or two things saying "I wish I would have done ____" and you wind up redoing things.

I know you don't need a lecture but you sound just like me when I was 15-20 years younger so I just want to provide some feedback and a different perspective.

As it relates to the car as you want it done. $5K is still super cheap for what they are talking about doing. It sounds like you are getting a respray just in a different color. I.E. they will scuff up the factory paint, prep, prime, spray. You really want them to go back to metal. thicker the paint the more likely it will crack and chip. Not to mention repair if you were to get a rock chip or door ding.

Also, not all paint is equal. Find out what kind of paint they will use. You don't want them to skimp on the materials in order to meet a low cost. Wish you best of luck and I hope it works out. It's just $5K for all that is getting real close to the too good to be true range for me for a color change and not a tape job respray.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I used to run a body shop I have a hard time believing they would do a quality job for that price I think that's a respray here and do it right panels half be removed and windshield glass has to be removed with rear glass.. but I guess it's all in what you want maybe you don't care about little things but I painted and I know done color changes before on Porsche's and other cars. Color change is huge an prep work for chips. They all look good the day you get them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay, so we know that a full on color change is going to be really expensive. If you decide to keep it silver for cost and to retain the engine bay paint, why not consider a not factory silver. Something with a lot of metallic. You might find a really nice silver that would go well with the existing engine bay. Just a thought.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Also you can use silver as a base of a Candy color like some Saleen cars are done. But problem is matching down the road. FYI I would cover with 3m clear vynl in front of car an wheel lips with stone area after car is painted no matter what way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
I agree 5-7k will get you a respray. I am looking at respraying my entire cobra back to Rio red and was quoted 6500 just because red is very expensive. I looked at a complete respray and was quoted around 10-11k give or take

If you want an entire color change do it right man. That silver you have would look great freshly laid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
I am paying cash up front.

That's a bad idea.

From the sound of the condition of your car you'll never see 2-4x sticker value, especially if you repaint a different color half-assed.

What are you doing to prevent more vandalism? Would suck to pay 7-10k just to have someone do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread