Considering trading Cobra for new Lightning. Have a few questions.

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Hello all. I have been contemplating trading my 2001 Cobra in for a new Lightning. I'm just getting tired of bringing it in for repairs and other stuff. SO I was just wondering what your experiences have been with the 01's+. ANy problems or issues I should know of. Are there any new changes coming for the 03's that I should maybe wait for? How about negotiating on the sticker? Is it as hard to get a dealer to go down on an L as it is on a Cobra? How do they handle the rain? I wouldn't drive it in the snow, but would end up having to drive it in the rain often, I'm sure.

Please let me in on anything I should know or consider.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. :beer:

TIAMAT

Established Member
I love my lightning. I do miss my gt but this truck is just bad ass. The only thing you have to watch is the spark plugs. They are torqued incorrectly from the fact. and they could possibly back out. With 11,000 on the clock i had them checked and replaced at JDM they were ok but possibly a problem in the next few thousand miles. They are a quality vehicle and alot of fun. You would love it. I spent 1700 bucks at JDM and if i learn how to drive it i think i have a high 12 sec truck. Not bad hugh? I paid just under sticker and drive it in the rain. When i have too. Remember 3 letters- JDM

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Lightnings ROCK

:thumbsup: I love my L. It only has 7,000 miles on it, but I've had no problems. Go for the L. You won't regret it. :beer:

P.S. You know red is the fastest.:beer:

CobraJohn01

Established Member
So, quality wise, they're pretty good? Not a bunch of probs like the 'Stangs? What about options? Do they pretty much only come one way, just choose a color? Does anyone know what X plan would be on one. I might be able to get one that way.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by CobraJohn01
So, quality wise, they're pretty good? Not a bunch of probs like the 'Stangs? What about options? Do they pretty much only come one way, just choose a color? Does anyone know what X plan would be on one. I might be able to get one that way.

They come loaded. The only option I know of is the soft toneau cover. $159.00 I think. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Gambinotdx

Established Member
cobrajohn01! i see you hit up this site too eh? hehe good..have you tried F150online as well? same purpose...Lightnings, Lightnings, Lightnings!!! ask anyone here...we all love our Ls! hope you make the right choice! hehe :) later!

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
x-plan price

X-plan price should be in the high 28K's depending on your dealer and where you live. Some dealers add in their floor plan cost which raises the price some. I got mine on D-plan for 27,800. X-plan is supposed to be 4% more than a and d plan prices.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
problems

Oops cut off early. as for problems on the trucks, the '01 and up trucks have only been in for minor trim concerns at the dealer I work at. Main one being the drivers seat cushion splitting on the edge. I just turned 4K miles on my truck and have not had a single problem (knocking on wood) and I love this truck. I hvae beaten many camaros and vetts in it, but I really love beating ricers, especially when I put 10 lengths on them in a stock 4700 pound truck :D

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Originally posted by Gambinotdx
cobrajohn01! i see you hit up this site too eh? hehe good..have you tried F150online as well? same purpose...Lightnings, Lightnings, Lightnings!!! ask anyone here...we all love our Ls! hope you make the right choice! hehe :) later!

Yeah, I'm pulling double duty posting. Just want all the opinions and info I can get. I haven't checked wwwF150.com yet since I'm not registered there. Maybe I'll check it out today though. Are there a lot of memebers there that would have good input like on here and SN?

And thanks all of you for your help and input. I know I really want one now. My main concern is the financing now. I was laid-off at the end of 2001 and I fell behind on a few bills. I know a couple of them got to the 60-90 days late mark so that could kill me right there. Too bad Nasser isn't running Ford anymore cause I probably could have had a sure bet through Ford Credit with him there. :rolleyes: But I think I like the new Mr. FOrd better. :punch:

Gambinotdx

Established Member
cobrajohn - F150online is WAY bigger than this and SN. i like this site because this is where i started out asking questions and the guys kick @$s. but reference f150online.com as well. good luck!

RUNVS?

Established Member
I've had a few minor issues with my '01.
1. The dreaded front end clunk came on at around 6,500 miles. Was fixed under warranty.
2. I have an annoying little rattle in my sliding rear window. Haven't had it looked at yet.
3. Both of my plastic foglights have small cracks in them from the bulb heat. I plan to get those replaced under warranty.
4. The factory stereo leaves much to be desired. I'd rather have a single, in-dash CD player than the 6-disc unit behind the seat. Sound quality is mediocre at best.

Other than that, it's a damn nice ride and I think I'll be keeping mine for many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread