Consistent 1-2 Grind at High RPM...

DJG

Established Member
Hey all,

I’ve got a 2012 GT500 with >17k miles. Was bone stock up until a few months back when I put a 2.5” pulley, CAI and tune on it. Now making 528rwhp and feels great!

In any case, prior to the mods, I NEVER had an issue shifting into any gear, even running it hard. Which I didn’t do too often. However, ever since throwing the extra 50 rear ponies at it, it seems the damn thing almost always grinds from 1-2 when shifting around my 6,500 shift point. Shifts fine when cruising. But when I’m in it, it just doesn’t seem to want to go into 2nd!

My fear? Clutch... But the car hasn’t been beat on at all so I don’t know why the clutch would already be toast.

Anything else, other than potential driver error, that could be causing this? Is it a known issue, by chance?

Any insight/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

RBB

Established Member
Common issue. The stock shifter is unfortunately a piece of garbage. Replace with an MGW2, and a trans fluid swap to Amsoil ATF doesn’t hurt either. That’s about as good as it’s going to get with the TR6060. The MGW makes a world of difference, really improves the driving experience.

DJG

Established Member
Common issue. The stock shifter is unfortunately a piece of garbage. Replace with an MGW2, and a trans fluid swap to Amsoil ATF doesn’t hurt either. That’s about as good as it’s going to get with the TR6060. The MGW makes a world of difference, really improves the driving experience.

Great to hear - Thank you! Surprising as the shifter always felt decent to me. Not sloppy nor a real long throw. But I’d much rather it be a shifter issue than the clutch or, worse, synchros.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
11-12 gt500 have been known to have the grind issue. Some have fixed the issue with an aftermarket shifter. Do a search. Theres lots of info on this issue

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Agree with the others, lots of threads on this problem. For the mean time try not to make it grind because that actually hurts your synchros and if they go the MGW won't help.

RBB

Established Member
Great to hear - Thank you! Surprising as the shifter always felt decent to me. Not sloppy nor a real long throw. But I’d much rather it be a shifter issue than the clutch or, worse, synchros.
You don’t find the stocker sloppy? Put it in any gear, wiggle it around it see how much play you have. Most find it to be pretty sloppy.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed with above---swap to MGW and Amsoil and see how it feels.
If still grinding may need synchro, but all depends on how bad and if you can live with it.
As a broke college kid delivering pizza, my '89 SHO had a pretty bad 1-2 grind. 4 years and 75k miles later, same grind but no loss of function.
My point is you can do lots to address it, up to a new trans, or you can do nothing and still drive it.
If my car, I'd start with new shifter and fluid, knowing that if I'd be having the trans rebuilt or replaced, I'd be using the best shifter on the market.
Good luck.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If you really plan to race this car, prepare for a full rebuild with hybrid synchros.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
@DJG nice meeting you out at the Track few weeks ago. As the others said, start with a fluid and shifter upgrade and see how it does, I am still on stock shifter, but fluid change/upgrade made a bit of improvement. I went with Mobil ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread