Contest or pay.

VNMUS03

Established Member
I got pulled over today for 45-49 on a 35mph road. Here's my issue. I saw the two motorcycle Leo's sitting on my left side of the road well ahead of me. I was going 40, the speed limit changes from 45 to 35 on this road. There was a truck passing me obviously traveling faster than I. As we passed the cops they both pulled out and pulled him and I over. I'm positive I wasn't traveling that fast. I go by there every weekday to get to school. I have a feeling that second cop trapped his speed and not mine. Should I contest or pay up? I got ticketed for speeding on the highway 4 months ago I don't qualify for tragic school anyway.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
what are you going to contest? the truck really has nothing to with with it. radar can get you, way before you ever know its there. what are you going to use to validate your theory of that you were not speeding, you will have to have something to back up your claim. in other words, the officer's opinion is that he saw a vehicle that was speeding, he used a detection device that validated his opinion, therefor you get tickets. you cant go into court and dispute it, and when asked why just shrug your shoulders. you have to use facts.

unless you had a camera on your speedometer at the time you got pulled over, there isnt much you can do. you can always contest it, and ask as to when the officers device was calibrated. this just happened in my city this month, causing nearly 230 tickets to be dismissed by the D.A. and all speed detection devices must be serviced and re calibrated, all because one officer did not have the verification that his equipment had been calibrated.

not that this would work for you, most departments are anal about calibrations and verifications.

here is the article

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2014/10/23/da-drop-speeding-tickets/17783903/

Last edited:

VNMUS03

Established Member
I'm not trying to contest the accuracy of the radar/ laser device used or whether it was calibrated properly. I'm contesting his accuracy while aiming it. He could have easily picked up the vehicle passing me. As the other vehicle passed me we simultaneously came into clear view of the Leo's. There's no way they could have clocked me prior to that point due to the angle, parked vehicles, and trees.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Depends on what type of device he used to check your speed with. Modern RADAR devices are able to obtain and display the speed of more than 1 vehicle at a time. Since it was only you and the truck, that is going to throw out your theory of his accuracy. If it was a LIDAR device commonly referred to as LASER, those units are vehicle specific. Hence one officer using one to get the truck's speed, and the second using one to get your speed.

Zemedici

Established Member
Why are you arguing over a $150 ticket, you admit you were speeding (albeit 5 over opposed to 10), but still.

There wont be any points on your license, when I get tickets like these I consider them 'part of it' when I could be caught doing much worse speeds, ya know?

VNMUS03

Established Member
Why are you arguing over a $150 ticket, you admit you were speeding (albeit 5 over opposed to 10), but still.

There wont be any points on your license, when I get tickets like these I consider them 'part of it' when I could be caught doing much worse speeds, ya know?

Really, I didn't know that, I thought I would get a point on my license. I just paid a speeding ticket not too long ago and did traffic school too. I was planning on contesting just because I figured I had nothing to lose. Plus I assumed it would be another 490 dollars like my last one.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Yea my 17" wheels are gone, I'm on 18" wheels now.

You will need to compare the overall outside diameter of the tires on your 17" wheels versus the same diameter of the tires on your 18" wheels. If the tires on the 18" wheels have a larger diameter, then the car's speedometer would be off in your favor. Meaning your car will be travelling faster than the speedometer is registering. Albeit, it will probably only add up to 1 or 2 MPH total due to the change.

Zemedici

Established Member
You will need to compare the overall outside diameter of the tires on your 17" wheels versus the same diameter of the tires on your 18" wheels. If the tires on the 18" wheels have a larger diameter, then the car's speedometer would be off in your favor. Meaning your car will be travelling faster than the speedometer is registering. Albeit, it will probably only add up to 1 or 2 MPH total due to the change.

After looking up CA laws, you do get one point for any speeding violation it seems. Hmm...seems this route wouldnt be worth pursuing though, as 9 over is still speeding and therefore a ticket and a point.

VNMUS03

Established Member
After looking up CA laws, you do get one point for any speeding violation it seems. Hmm...seems this route wouldnt be worth pursuing though, as 9 over is still speeding and therefore a ticket and a point.

Yeah see. I figure I'll contest and tell them what I said I'm the first post. Worst case scenario I lose and pay anyway. Best case scenario officer fails to appear ( which I doubt) or I get it reduced somehow.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If I was paying the taxes you are living California I would fight tooth and nail to avoid giving that state any extra money.

Users who are viewing this thread