Conv or Coupe?

tammy

Established Member
I am thinking of switching to the Cobra since I'm getting fed up with waiting on my MACH1 order to be filled. The car is for my husband and I think he would like the Cobra just as much as the MACH1. My question for you guys and ladies is how do you choose between a conv. or coupe. We have never owned a conv. His ride now does have t-tops but he rarely takes them down and I have a my first car with sunroof and use it more than I ever imagined i would. So how did you choose? Does a conv reguire maintance? Is it a pain to operate? I'd appreciate you help and suggestions.

ZXnVS

Established Member
On this board convertible or coupe is a religious question, answered with religious zeal, so be forewarned. ;-)

If he never removes the T-tops, chances are he wouldn't use the convertible top much, either. Convertibles are obviously more prone to leaks and mechanical problems down the road. Furthermore, if your husband is a performance fanatic the coupe weighs less and has stiffer springs than the vert. If he's never owned a convertible I'd say that was probably a conscious decision.

Now be prepared to be serenaded by eloquent prose from the convertible proseletyzers comparing their verts to Nirvana... (sorry guys, couldn't resist taking a good-natured jab at ya!)

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by tammy
I am thinking of switching to the Cobra since I'm getting fed up with waiting on my MACH1 order to be filled. The car is for my husband and I think he would like the Cobra just as much as the MACH1. My question for you guys and ladies is how do you choose between a conv. or coupe. We have never owned a conv. His ride now does have t-tops but he rarely takes them down and I have a my first car with sunroof and use it more than I ever imagined i would. So how did you choose? Does a conv reguire maintance? Is it a pain to operate? I'd appreciate you help and suggestions.

Keep in mind the mach1 is what you get if the cobra is too much car for you:-D If he likes cars he will LOVE the cobra, go with convertible.:-D

tammy

Established Member
Thanks for the warning.:) I am having a terrible time waiting out that MACH1 and just got to thinking if i''m gonna fork over the extra cash why not go ALL the way with a conv. He likes taking the tops out but we are extremly busy with family lately and it's a pain to take them off and store them proper and oh heck you get it.:bash:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Keep in mind also you may have a very long wait for a Cobra unless you can find one sitting on the lot somewhere. I ordered the coupe, but it's exactly what I wanted. There are days where I would love to have the top down,though.:beer:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I prefer the coupe, I think it looks nicer, and weighs less. Also, it would depend on where you live. Here in Dallas, we only get about 30 days of nice convertable weather as temps are so hot, then it goes straight to Winter it seems.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Convertible. It goes up or down in about 30 seconds. Easy to own, easy to operate. Nothing like having a 400hp convertible with four seats.

Go for it. I love mine.

Friendchicken

I would have liked to gotten a convertable. Storing the T-roof panels is a PITA, but unlocking the hinges, and pressing a button is so much nicer and you get the full view.

less hassle/more view...

The stereo can be hard to hear tho but it's a good problem to have.

MikeW

Established Member
Go for the convertible. I have a 93 Gt it has only had one top put on it, and it didnt really need that. I just wanted to clean it up a little. The top on the 03 works really easy and is made out of a new cloth material that will last longer than the old vinal ones,

The last 3 cars that I have bought are Vertibles and wouldnt think of a coupe. If performance is an issue stock to stock it would depend on how good the driver is.

The Mach 1 is very good choice as well, as a limited production one year only car. What color did you order?

Here is a pic of my 03 vert, looks as good with the top up as it does with the top down. This is the only Mustang vert that I have ever said that about.

MikeW

Established Member
That is one fine looking car you have there. I odered the Torch Red w/IU 5 sp.

Thanks, I was told I coundnt order a Torch Cobra, So I ordered Sonic Blue. Then They found one last Torch one for me..

A Torch Red Mach..... DROOOOLL man it would be hard for me not to wait on that. GOOD Luck either way you will own a fine American automobile. And I see in your profile that your have a nice Acura as well.

tammy

Established Member
Thanks for the compliment on my baby. I love my MDX I did'nt want to throw that out there and risk getting flamed for my ricer, but it's not a racer it's my family mobile! I love that car. You guys are a great group I've been lurking here for months and I appeciate all this input. I send my husband select threads to try to get a responds from him MACH or COBRA? I feel he really would rather have the COBRA for the horses and the MACH for well hell it's a MACH not everybody is getting one.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Vert!

Should be enough in the sig to get you thinking my way.:-D

eddy z

Established Member
vert all the way unless you plan on doing some seriuos track running or live in a hot climate... the top is easy to maintiain, and operate... top is is off with two latches, and up and down it goes in seconds...

i had a 98 cobra vert, and now my 03... can never go back to a coupe, except for the winter car...

B-O-B'03

Established Member
What could be more fun that riding around in one of these?

I guese if you live in some god forsaken part of the country wherre white cold things fall from the sky a convertible make less sense.

Preflight check list;

Valentine 1 : check
top down : check
Trac off : check

-B

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I send my husband select threads to try to get a responds from him MACH or COBRA? I feel he really would rather have the COBRA for the horses and the MACH for well hell it's a MACH not everybody is getting one.

Does your husband know that you are getting this for him?

If so then just ASK HIM. <G>

Personally I prefer coupe.. I think they look "cleaner" than the Verts. Verts are fun to a point... (we have a Miata in the family, and had 3 at one point) but the coupe is easier to keep clean (interior), listen to music, etc.

MACH or COBRA.... does he want to run nicely and have a collectible or does he want to go FAST!

I think the MACH is going to be a one year car... like the bullitt... so down the road... etc.

Until they fixed the wheel hop on the '03 Cobra.. I was thinking Mach (like the hood scoop and the solid axle vs the IRS) ... but took the Cobra based on the no wheel hop and the blower.

tammy

Established Member
Does your husband know that you are getting this for him?

He needs a new car and he knows I have a Mach1 ordered and we have chatted about both cars. At this point he knows I'm looking he does'nt know I'm actually buying him a new car. His Z is in fine shape and only has 44,000 miles on it. It's practiacially like brand new but I just got the MDX and feel he needs an upgrade and he loves mustangs so the obvious choice to look into. He thinks we are basically kicking the idea around, but the moment he blinks either way I am buying the damn thing! I have had this mach on order since JUNE. I knew I was gonna have to wait but I really don't want to wait that long. My build date was 10/21 then 10/28 last I checked (last week) I'm at 11/4. Also, my dealer is not honoring D-plan like orgianally promised and I can get the Cobra for D-plan so hence my dilema guys. I know he wants black if we were to go with the cobra. He has seen some pic's of the blue and black and loves the blue but that black with zanio would just be awesome. My MDX has not been the nightmare everyone says it is to take care of wonder if it's the Zaino?

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
I look at the saftey issues, due to roll overs and theft. I have seen to many vehicle roll overs and passengers hurt by being ejected, or debri entering the soft top and people getting hurt that way.

Theft, with a hard top a theft cannot cut into the hard top with out using a cutting tool. Soft top vehicles, car theives will just cut into the material and gain entry.

The coupe looks like a sport vehicle, the vert, and sorry guys with vert cobra's, I respect you 100% and know your vehicles rock, looks like a drive with the wife or family on a sunday afternoon with some kick to the ride.

If you and your husband want to enjoy bueatiful days with a bueatiful car, get a vert, but remember the saftey issues, plus add about 5 grand to the price.

If your husband loves performance and the look of a true sports car, then go coupe.

Coupe or Convert, they are both good looking vehicles, with different purposes. Its what you prefer or how you want to enjoy your ride.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread