Convert from an SS Camaro - Help Pls.

PacWest

Established Member
Hi all,
This is my first post on this board and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. I wrecked my 00 SS Camaro a few weeks ago on the track. It's totaled and now I'm looking for another car. At first I was just going to get another SS but I was impressed by an 03 Cobra a buddy has at work. I've had fords in the past, but never a Mustang. I'm learning a lot about Cobras on this borad.

Will you guys post some convincing arguments to help convert me? I'm already sold on the 03 Cobra looks and it sure seems a lot easier to make power with one of these cars than the LS1. But, I was just getting good with LS1 edit and all the tricks on the "other" side. However, a stock SS is not fast enough.

Any other converts out there who can compare the 03 Cobra to a Camaro SS? I'm not buying a 'Vette, so my decision is pretty much between a Mustang and a Camaro at this time.

Thanks,
Ryan

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
Well, I just got my '03, and I can't say anything better about it. The torque is has is unbelievable, and the way it pulls until redline. The blower sounds really cool. The mod potential is far beyond the camaro. The engine is already built up, and can handle alot of power. If I had to go back, and make the choice again. I wouldn't think twice, I would definitely by the Cobra. It handles really good for a mustang too.

stangfreak

Established Member
you want convincing? lol im sure toofast4u, bassin, and the other kb guys will chime in here and show you pics of there engine. you will see what i mean. lol.

i wont forget about the puly'd eaton boys, there car is a freakin animal.

lets just say with two little bolt ons, cat back and cold air intake, the cobra can reach well above 400+rwhp. i repeat RWHP. i was at mustang magic and seen aa guy with those two mods listed reach 430 rwhp.

our cars have 32 valves head, blower, its a v8 and it has forged internals:rockon: $1500 worth of mods and your car does 11's. my friend john aka venomouscobra spent 900 bucks on mods and runs 11.5@122. not bad right. now lets see what else is there

03 procharger cobra
03 kenne bell cobra
03 turbo cobra
03 apten modified cobra
03 chip n' pully'd cobra

choose your weapon from above and prepare to do some serious ass kicking on the street and track. yes i know your are saying well i can turbo a SS or a supercharger on a SS, but its different. we have better heads, and our engine is built for boost.:coolman:

PacWest

Established Member
Thanks! The 4.6 forged strength is a huge plus. The clutch and rear end in the Camaro are problems. You can't put more than 400hp to the clutch if that. And, you need an aftermarket super charger or a heads and cam package to get you to that power.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
There simply is no bigger bang for the buck on the market if overall performance is what you are looking for. Yes, there are cars as fast or faster, and which handle as well or better. But they start at about $50,000.00 plus and go up, WAY up from there. Compare that with the car you will find for sale in this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=768717#post768717

If you want quality and performance for your money, here it is pal.

Make the leap like this 1st time Mustang owner. I'm delighted beyond words. You will be too!

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I had a 95 LT1 Formula and 00 SS Z-28. Think about it. An LS1 F-Body with all of the basic bolt ons and maybe headers will get you say 325-335 RWHP, who cares if I am off 20 or so HP. I put down 447RWHP and 473TQ with a 2.95 pulley and very conservative tune. These are pretty whimpy numbers compared to many others.

Need I say more?

Come over to the dark side.

hj16

Established Member
I was thinking of listing all the great reasons to pick up an 03 Cobra but decided just one would do.

With just $600 in mods I give $50,000 Z06s an ass beating at the track.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by hj16
I was thinking of listing all the great reasons to pick up an 03 Cobra but decided just one would do.

With just $600 in mods I give $50,000 Z06s an ass beating at the track.

BINGO!!!

stangfreak

Established Member
hell yea mongoose!!!!!! now thats the shit!!! can everyone please click on the video that mongoose posted. i watch that clip every freakin day. :rockon: :rockon:

PacWest

Established Member
SOLD! Thanks for all the replies. I bought my SS new in early 2000. At that time the stock LS1 was faster than a stock Cobra. I really did not have any idea how much power the 03's could put out until just this week. What can I say....I've been surounded by Camaro drivers and I've never had the chance to see what an 03 can do. Really glad the Mustang came through for us w/ this car. I was boared with the power of the SS and I always thought the 4th gen Camaro was too long considering the interior space etc.

I just got the cash out of my wrecked Camaro today and I'm looking for an 03 starting NOW. Can't wait.

In the meantime, I've got a lot of reading to do in order to understand all the mods and quirks of the Cobra.

Ryan

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by PacWest
Thanks! The 4.6 forged strength is a huge plus. The clutch and rear end in the Camaro are problems. You can't put more than 400hp to the clutch if that. And, you need an aftermarket super charger or a heads and cam package to get you to that power.
I had a '94 Z-28 converted by Callaway Cars with their 450 hp 383 stroker. The tranny, clutch and rear end were fine with that level of power. Are you talking about flywheel horsepower or at the rear wheels?

Having had a Camaro that had few foes to deal with locally, my Cobra would walk it pretty bad. What I love about our Cobras is that they are so easy to mod. But once you go over the 500-550 rwhp mark you have to beef up our drivetrain as well. If you buy one I think you'll be very pleased. By the way, this is my first Ford product as well. I "was" a Chevy guy for years....and got converted.
:beer:

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I also just went from a Z28 to a Cobra. They're different animals, and there are certain things I like better from each of them.

HIsnake

Established Member
I had a 98SS, poured about $7K, including all the bolt ons. I think I gained about 25-35RWHP, and took about .4 off my quarter mile. I spent just over $2k on the Cobra and gained over 70 hp. The drawback I saw is that the chasis for the GM's are so much more rigid than the Mustang's.

PacWest

Established Member
I was on the full road corse at Portland International with an Instructor. I got the car right to the edge of it's potential and my ability. The rear stepped out on me, I caught it too late...the car spun and then suddenly hooked again sending us out on to the wet grass. After that it was like we were on ice...nothing to do but ride it to the wall. Coulda, shoulda caught the oversteer sooner and maybe we would have made it. Maybe it was just too fast for that part of the track - probably both.

Good luck....bad luck.....hard to say. We both walked away and were just sore for a couple weeks. I learned a lot that day and now I get to convert to a Cobra.

Ryan

PacWest

Established Member

I had a '94 Z-28 converted by Callaway Cars with their 450 hp 383 stroker. The tranny, clutch and rear end were fine with that level of power. Are you talking about flywheel horsepower or at the rear wheels?

I was talking LS1 cars and 400rwhp. I don't know much about the LT1's. In an LS1 car, the 10- bolt rear will break if drag raced hard. I never did that but the stock clutch will slip for sure once you hit the 400rwhp mark. Everyone I know with a heads/cam or nitrous HAD to replace the clutch. The 10 bolt rear will live longer for those with stock gears and who treat it nice.

PacWest

Established Member
--------------------------
The drawback I saw is that the chasis for the GM's are so much more rigid than the Mustang's
-------------------------

Good to know. I like the road corse....so sub-frame connectors look like a must. Even on my SS they helped a buch.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
A lot of people make good points, but I think you just need to drive a Cobra. I mean how else are you going to know if it is your bag? I was a GM guy for years too :-D

Users who are viewing this thread