Convertible and dragracing

fink46

Established Member
Wanting to get others opinions on how you got past the tech inspection to run your convertible cobras down the strip? I have yet to take the cobra to the track and really wanting to here in the next couple weeks but I know its going to run faster than a 13.49 in the quarter mile, which is when the NHRA rule requires you to have a roll bar installed.
I was going to call the track before I go, but wanted to see if others were able to run down the track without a roll bar.

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
It really depends on the track. I have ran at a few tracks here in IL and have had no problems. My best was an 11.40 @ 126 in my 96 drop top. I'm not telling you to lie, but i know of people that run all out to the 1/8 mile marker and brake to stay "legal". This would net you some tnt passes to get your tire pressure, launch rpm, and suspension adjustments made to get the 60' where you want. Then just make one all out pass and see what they do/say.

Last edited:

TerminatedGT

Established Member
I have run in the 11's also no roll bar for me.
Countless passed in other cars in the 13 with no helmet. Not saying it was smart but I did it in years past
you will need a helmet for a convertible no matter what at most tracks
GOOD LUCK

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
It depends on the track. One track may not say anything and another may not let you run. I run 10.90s with a vert at our track without issue but another wanted to throw me off for an 11.20 pass in a hardtop. Yfz162 has the plan.

Users who are viewing this thread