Convertible Top not going up

TK Doom

Established Member
So, one day, I walk by my car and there is fluid all over the right side of the car.

After that, top wouldn't go up next time I drove it.

Called Ford dealer to ask worst possible price and they said, nope, parts are obsolete. So I search the web and there are motors made for the car, like $300, I watched the video to install it, and it looks easy enough. But what about the fluid that's in there? I'm sure it doesn't come with fluid.

If it goes up slow its definitely the motor? or because there is no fluid because of the leak? I haven't put the top down in 8 months, as I haven't really driven it till recently.

i'm going to open it up Wednesday and take a look.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I've never had a puddle or other visible fluid leak but I did refill mine about a month ago. Top would barely go up, took over a minute to go up. Eventually I had to manually pull it up.
Took all of 5 mins to replace the fluid, now it's up in about 10 seconds. You may need new cylinders though if you have a leak

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
So, one day, I walk by my car and there is fluid all over the right side of the car.

Called Ford dealer to ask worst possible price and they said, nope, parts are obsolete. So I search the web and there are motors made for the car, like $300, I watched the video to install it, and it looks easy enough. But what about the fluid that's in there? I'm sure it doesn't come with fluid.

If it goes up slow its definitely the motor? or because there is no fluid because of the leak? I haven't put the top down in 8 months, as I haven't really driven it till recently.

Just did mine, your convertible top rams are toast. Fairly easy to and parts are available at LMR or AM for fairly cheap, I think it was $70 a ram. But when one leaks the whole systems doesn't work because they both go back to the same pump. Fluid is mercon but you can use synthetic rp or any other trans fluid. Took me all of an hour from beginning to the end. If the pump males noise it's still working. Goodluck

KLLR SNK

Established Member
+1 ^ Freak is right. Sounds like the passenger side cylinder is toast. The o-rings are shot. The motor is probably fine. Pull the inside trim panel and you will see trans fluid leaking out of the cylinder onto the floor. Since one is leaking it may not be a bad idea to change both of them at the same time.

04RFVert

Established Member
Seeing this post makes me wonder....when i go to raise my top the passenger side is behind the drivers side when the top first raises out of the storage area behind seat but the quickly evens out as top raises and begins to unfold. Is this normal or a sign of something about to break as the OP has had happen?

04RFVert

Established Member
Cycle the top a couple of times then check the fluid level in your pump.
Where is the pump located exactly and is there an inspection window or dipstick or just clear tubing to check level? If I havent had leaks as the OP did and my fluid is indeed low, how would the fluid have gotten low?

94slowbra1

Established Member
its located behind the rear seat. its pretty obvious once you are there. no window, just a rubber plug to pull and fill from (its on the side). you have to tilt it so it doesnt leak out
i didnt have any visible leaks and mine was virtually empty. not sure how it gets out, i guess after 14 years it was just time.
since refilling mine its like its brand new. i was dreading replacing it but luckily i didnt have too

04RFVert

Established Member
its located behind the rear seat. its pretty obvious once you are there. no window, just a rubber plug to pull and fill from (its on the side). you have to tilt it so it doesnt leak out
i didnt have any visible leaks and mine was virtually empty. not sure how it gets out, i guess after 14 years it was just time.
since refilling mine its like its brand new. i was dreading replacing it but luckily i didnt have too
Thanks will check it out, I am a bigger guy so I dread just getting in back seat to check it yet alone having to replace anything. Sorry OP for hijacking your thread

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member

Sounds exactly like a leaking hydraulic ram. I replaced both of mine and the lines to the motor. It's something that you will be working on again if you try to just replace one part. Mine closes a little hard afterwards. That's if you keep the button pressed, but I just release the button beforehand and ease it down.

Sent from my SM-T710 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Good thread, my top has been sluggish lately going up, hopefully some new fluid will solve my problem

I'll have to check it out now that I know its not a huge deal

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
Good to know about checking the fluid, I honestly don't put down the top every chance I get, has to be perfect.

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
Same here, only time i drove with the top up was when I purchased it because it rained the whole way home from Augusta, GA to wpb,FL.

Users who are viewing this thread