Convertibles - Anyone else like them?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Man you dad has an awesome collection. If I h ad the money mine would include some of those same type of cars. I love a convertible. I have had one since my daughter hit 18 and I quit having to pay child support. so I could afford two cars LOL. but yeah I love me a 'vert

Parade40.jpg

Guys n' Gals-

Let's see your convertible pics! I've had my 64 Falcon factory V8 convertible for over 30 years now. I rebuilt the "five bolt" 289 with my dad back in 1987. I converted it to a Toploader in the early 90's. It's kind of rough at the moment, and under a tarp. I do have a pretty solid collection of NOS parts for the eventual restoration including grill, headlight brows, reverse light kit, all emblems, etc.

Mom's cousin bought it new in late '63. Everyone calls it "The Pelican."

View attachment 1551221

I think this is the day Cousin Bill bought it. Tracy, CA.

View attachment 1551222

My current thrill ride, which I hope to have for all eternity is the widebody GT350. It's got the FR 624 HP Whipple supercharger on it, and the wide body allows for the 20x13 with 345's in the back. It's quite the step up from "The Pelican."

View attachment 1551223

View attachment 1551224

I'm pretty sure I can blame my dad for the convertible love. He has four of them.

What started it all for me- dad's 1910 Model T that he bought months before I was born. How he convinced my mother that he needed another old car right before having another kid is beyond me. Here he is behind the wheel.

View attachment 1551225

His other early car, and his only non-Ford is this 1913 Oakland. Ok, my mom just got a Tesla, but he's pretty much a Ford guy. You can't tell what color this car was originally. It's unrestored with the exception of some modern aluminum pistons. That aluminum crankcase is a work of art. It is the finest aluminum casting I've ever seen, and it was done over a hundred years ago.

View attachment 1551226

View attachment 1551227

View attachment 1551228

Dad's latest restoration project is this '35 Phaeton four door convertible. It's differentiated from a convertible sedan in that it has side curtains, not roll up windows. It had its '35 front sheet metal changed to '36 at the dealership at Ford's expense to try to sell it originally. Dad's restoring it to true '35 specs.

View attachment 1551229

Lastly here's his '39 Convertible Sedan. It's mostly unrestored with a dealer installed Colombia two speed axle. He drives it quite a bit. It's capable of highway speeds.

View attachment 1551230

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I hear you. I'm in CA so winter and nights during summer are best. Daytime in the summer is too hot. It's hard to beat top down at night in July though.
That's how it happens in GA. Winter is convertible weather. During summer nights it is still hot, but bearable while running the A/C.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I love a vert and promised the wife we would never be without one. I don't drive to get to a destination I drive for the love of it. See my avatar, that was taken at the first mile of US 1 in Fort Kent Maine. We backroaded the whole state, top down of course.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
'00 Z3 ///M Roadster (E36/7)
The wide body Z3 was the best looking roadster BMW ever made. Having an M3 powertrain (E36 S52 97-00 and S54 from E46 in 01-02) and sitting on the rear axel was a blast. No overdrive. 5th was 1/1.
Should of held onto it, their values are climbing. If I didn't do so much work in Colorado and use my 4x4 I'd find another '00 (the 01-02 cost 30%+ more for the S54)
Theres a 01-02 clown shoe (coupe) with less than 5k miles that just sold for about $80k..
Went glass roof on the mustang... I'm only a big fan of tent roofs on roadsters (love roadsters). They are some the few cars that are designed to be topless. All other cars the drop top is usually an afterthought.
3f03be4644dd64bc53b00ddc4746bc87.jpg

Sent from my Note9

Users who are viewing this thread