Converting sea water to Navy jet fuel

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If the Navy is successful in converting seawater into jet fuel our energy issues will be resolved.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And....the oil producers in the Middle East (and around the world) would not be very happy about that. One has to hope, though, that an alternative fuel for domestic use wouldn't end up costing the consumer more than what we're now paying for petroleum based gasoline. Sure would be cool, though, to think that seawater ended up being at least a partial solution to our energy concerns.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Of course, this supposed breakthrough comes as the Republicans in Congress have fought against the efforts by the Navy to develop alternative fuels. Republicans claim the Navy can’t afford to attempt to create fuel out of seawater or cooking oil when the defense budget is getting slashed.

smh

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Still no equivalancy #'s for this.....or at least I haven't found any. Does it take 1,000 gallons (almost 24 barrels) of seawater to get out 1 BOE?

or we could just figure out a way to tap into the VAAAAAST amounts of methane underneath all the Artic ice. More energy sitting there than oil, gas, etc etc combine!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen is an energy-losing proposition. Water is the "ash" from a hydrogen & oxygen fire. And then you're further going to separate out the CO2 and recombine it with the hydrogen to make a hydrocarbon? And they're going to be able to produce this by the thousands of gallons? I wish them well, but I don't think they'll be able to bring it in under $6.00 a gallon.

And then there is the cost of converting over to this new fuel, because I bet it won't be a one-for-one replacement for JP-5.

Are they going to convert part of an aircraft carrier into a refinery to produce this?

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen is an energy-losing proposition. Water is the "ash" from a hydrogen & oxygen fire. And then you're further going to separate out the CO2 and recombine it with the hydrogen to make a hydrocarbon? And they're going to be able to produce this by the thousands of gallons? I wish them well, but I don't think they'll be able to bring it in under $6.00 a gallon.

And then there is the cost of converting over to this new fuel, because I bet it won't be a one-for-one replacement for JP-5.

Are they going to convert part of an aircraft carrier into a refinery to produce this?

I've split water into hydrogen and oxygen. It's not that hard, you just run a current through it.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The catch is that you lose energy on the deal. It takes more energy to split the water than you get back from it. And now they're going to mix CO2 with hydrogen to make a hydrocarbon. Yeah, I bet they can do it. But I bet it won't be cost effective.

I've split water into hydrogen and oxygen. It's not that hard, you just run a current through it.

93L-STCA

Established Member
The catch is that you lose energy on the deal. It takes more energy to split the water than you get back from it. And now they're going to mix CO2 with hydrogen to make a hydrocarbon. Yeah, I bet they can do it. But I bet it won't be cost effective.

nothing is cost effective in the military, Especially the navy... the Navy is the most expensive branch as far as upkeep goes. This will only impact the budget further. :bash:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

Not if you use solar power. I've had this argument a million times.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not if you use solar power. I've had this argument a million times.

They also have the nuclear reactors on carriers, destroyers and cruisers as a possible power source for this process/refinement....not sure if they would use destroyers or cruisers, then they would be back to transferring fuel to the carrier while its underway.

Last edited:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
the price savings is in the logistics. dont need to send out a tanker to refill the carrier group if there is a specially designed ship in the battle group continuously making jet fuel.

KurtDog

Established Member

I was thinking the same thing, but aircraft carriers are nuclear so I would think electricity would not be an issue.

They are still no where near completing the chemical reaction into jet fuel.

musclefan21

Established Member
Not happenning. It will not be approved. Oil companies will make sure to put an end to this.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread