coolant flush question

trendkilllx

Established Member
original owner of 03 cobra, I performed the first coolant flush at 36k miles and used the over the counter flush with only distilled water, also only used distilled water when I refilled with new antifreeze/distilled water. I did not see any way to drain the block, just used the radiator drain. I had some seditment in the overfill tank (that I ended up replacing). Anyhow just did a second flush, now at 78k, also sediment in overfill tank again, hoping there is no seditiment in the water jackets of the motor, still runs cool. I have only used distilled water and antifreeze so not sure what the residue is.

SVTDice

Established Member
original owner of 03 cobra, I performed the first coolant flush at 36k miles and used the over the counter flush with only distilled water, also only used distilled water when I refilled with new antifreeze/distilled water. I did not see any way to drain the block, just used the radiator drain. I had some seditment in the overfill tank (that I ended up replacing). Anyhow just did a second flush, now at 78k, also sediment in overfill tank again, hoping there is no seditiment in the water jackets of the motor, still runs cool. I have only used distilled water and antifreeze so not sure what the residue is.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/573955-help-flushing-coolant-system.html

That thread should help you out a bit, What Mix of Coolant to distilled water are you using?

trendkilllx

Established Member
I was using a 55%water/45% coolant mix, warm climate here. Good write up, probably will take it some were or do a better job following the instructions in the write up.

trendkilllx

Established Member
ended up completing the flush, instructions were pretty good. Only deviation was that I removed the thermostat during the flush. Definately a good idea to remove the drain plug in the block as mine had a lot of dirty fluid stuck in the block prior to removing this drain.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
ended up completing the flush, instructions were pretty good. Only deviation was that I removed the thermostat during the flush. Definately a good idea to remove the drain plug in the block as mine had a lot of dirty fluid stuck in the block prior to removing this drain.

Hey man! Glad you got it all finished. Glad the thread helped you out as well. Hope your Car is running cooler now! It should be a Happy Cobra Haha. So whats your next plan of maintenance your doing? Supercharger fluid? Fuel Filter? Etc? I have some write ups on those too if your interested in it. Anyways Take care man.

:beer:

trendkilllx

Established Member
yep can get up to 115 out here in the summer so cooling is important! Thread was very helpful, I also have a windows program that the ford service guys use so can look up procedures, just do not have all the tools those guys have, like the flush machine. Probably should do the supercharger fluid next, sounds easy.

trendkilllx

Established Member
How many gallons of coolant did you use for your flush?
After flushing I removed the block plug again and radiator plug to drain it again. After this to fill it I used about 1.5 gallons of coolant and 2.5 gallons of distilled water although ford recommends 50/50 mix.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
After flushing I removed the block plug again and radiator plug to drain it again. After this to fill it I used about 1.5 gallons of coolant and 2.5 gallons of distilled water although ford recommends 50/50 mix.

Yeah, But in your hotter area, More Distilled water is a better option. People have done alot of research in this. You need some coolant to keep the anti-freezing and anti-corrosive property's up. But your Cobra should be a happy, Cooler Snake now. No doubt. Keep us updated on how the supercharger oil change goes. :rockon:

trendkilllx

Established Member
Yep heard water does transfer heat better than antifreeze. probably will do the eaton oil change this weekend, write up looks easy to follow with the photos. Guess there is some debate on if you need to use the supercharger oil (gm or ford) or just synthetic. Probably works either way. Found this on ebay GM Performance 12345982 Suprcharger Oil ($8.95)each, 4 fluid oz so think 2 should do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread