Cooling fan upgrade

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
I bought it but have not installed it yet. This is going on my mod fox project. but it looks nice.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I'm interested too. I just took off my factory fan yesterday. The blade is cracked and the motor is almost siezed up. I took the mtor apart and a bunch of melted plastic pieces were inside. This unit may be a good alternative to the factory fan which seems to fail prematurely. My car has 45K on it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
How many CFM is it? It doesn't say. Shroud needs some by-pass flaps so more air can go through at highway speeds and above, but I could make those easy enough.

Without knowing the CFM I'm not sure if this is actually an upgrade over the factory unit or not.

racebronco2

Established Member
The 14" fan is smaller in size then the stock fan. I beleive the stock size is 16". The best fan is the mark8 fan assembly which flows over 4000cfms. I found that the mishimoto
16" and the summit 16" puller fan only pulls 2160 cfms which is less then our stock fans. The mark8 fan is a 17" unit. I have had one on my car for over 3 years. It seems to cool the car off quicker. It flows so much air that you can feel the hot air from under the car at the rear of the passenger side tire. My car has hood vents and you can feel the hot air when putting your hand out the window when you are in the drivers seat. I was thinking about making kits to use the mark8 fans.

99 BIG RED

Established Member
The 14" fan is smaller in size then the stock fan. I beleive the stock size is 16". The best fan is the mark8 fan assembly which flows over 4000cfms. I found that the mishimoto
16" and the summit 16" puller fan only pulls 2160 cfms which is less then our stock fans. The mark8 fan is a 17" unit. I have had one on my car for over 3 years. It seems to cool the car off quicker. It flows so much air that you can feel the hot air from under the car at the rear of the passenger side tire. My car has hood vents and you can feel the hot air when putting your hand out the window when you are in the drivers seat. I was thinking about making kits to use the mark8 fans.

How did you hook up the Mark 8 fan? I have two and would rather use that than the factory unit.

racebronco2

Established Member
How did you hook up the Mark 8 fan? I have two and would rather use that than the factory unit.

I just wired using the high speed only. The 97-98 mark8's flow something like 5000cfms, they use only a two wire connector even though the fan motor is a three wire.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Carlos you should definitely think about putting those kits together. My fan has not tanked yet but it's only a matter of time. When it goes a Mark 8 fan is going in. It has got to be WAY better in stop and go traffic than the stock fan even for guys with stock hoods.

Have you had any issues with the higher amp draw on the alternator? Are you still on a stock alternator?

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos you should definitely think about putting those kits together. My fan has not tanked yet but it's only a matter of time. When it goes a Mark 8 fan is going in. It has got to be WAY better in stop and go traffic than the stock fan even for guys with stock hoods.

Have you had any issues with the higher amp draw on the alternator? Are you still on a stock alternator?

I have had problem with the alternator but it was due mostly because i didn't have enough grounds. With the added amp required for the fan i needed to add more grounds.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have had problem with the alternator but it was due mostly because i didn't have enough grounds. With the added amp required for the fan i needed to add more grounds.

That makes perfect sense.
I have a trunk mount battery and put an extra ground near the alternator bracket when first I did the conversion.
Doing a couple more during a Mark8 fan install would certainly not be all that tough to do.:beer:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
There is no way a single 14" or probably even a 16" aftermarket fan is going to flow enough for a Terminator. The Mark 8 fan as mentioned is really your only option for an actual 'upgrade' beyond stock. The problem being there just isn't enough clearance for a twin fan setup.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the OEM fan is actually closer to 18". The Dorman version can be had for under $100 online.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread