cooling methods at track

BuckeyeLightnin

Established Member
<-----NOOB so reading on here, at the trakc people put ice in the intercooler reservoir?....also what are other tips on cooling at the track?

LGHTEMUP

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
get a generator and 3 fans, one under tranny and one in front of the truck and one on top of the motor to cool these pigs down alittle quicker...

f150freak

Professional Lackey
Established Member
get a generator and 3 fans, one under tranny and one in front of the truck and one on top of the motor to cool these pigs down alittle quicker...
The generator and fans are a good idea, but wont do much good unless you can circulate the hot fluid from the intercooler. Along with the generator and fans i'd recommend an intercooler pump bypass switch to circulate the fluid while the truck is off. Also a set of spal fans on your heat exchanger so you can still try to cool things down when you're in the staging lanes, cause a generator and external fans just arn't that portable when you're waiting in the staging area.

Rook

Established Member
fans on the heat exchanger is just added weight. Just plain Ole distilled water is resivour. Battery charger, 3 fans, and keep your intercooler pump on. When you judge if your motor is cool touch your heads. Now remember a little heat is good. I always put heat in my tranny and motor then cool then I go run it.

flashlight

Established Member
fans on the heat exchanger is just added weight. Just plain Ole distilled water is resivour. Battery charger, 3 fans, and keep your intercooler pump on. When you judge if your motor is cool touch your heads. Now remember a little heat is good. I always put heat in my tranny and motor then cool then I go run it.

15/20 lbs on something that weighs almost 5000 lbs isnt going to hurt. I had 2 fans on my heat exchanger and a manual switch to turn on the fans and pump while it sat. It worked great and no loss in ET from the gain in weight.

Rook

Established Member
15/20 lbs on something that weighs almost 5000 lbs isnt going to hurt. I had 2 fans on my heat exchanger and a manual switch to turn on the fans and pump while it sat. It worked great and no loss in ET from the gain in weight.

The fans are for street duty but when it comes to drag racing :nono: less weight on the front end the better. You will gain in 60' which increase ET. 15 to 20 lbs is alot. I just run my stock heat exchanger.

My opinion fans are a waste of time and money. I could see the killer chiller or ice resv.

Last edited:

SVT_LIGHTNING01

Established Member
I put a killer chiller on my truck and made a world of difference. A bit pricey but its always there with no maintenance. Without the KC engaged, the intercooler reservoir temps are around 85* in 75* weather at 65 or so mph cruising. However with the KC on it drops to about 55-60*. At the track i typically see temps around 15* below ambient air. Just a different approach and my 2 cents.

SvtRacing

Established Member
i leave alittle water in my JLP ice box at the bottom poor my ice in and switch the key on. i have my innercooler pump fixed where it comes on when key is on. I let it run for a few min. until ice is melted and then add little more ice to keep cool in staging lanes. the generator and fans work good to.

JollyGiant

Established Member
I got a set of washing machine hose screens (try to avoid the "made in China label). They are basically a pair of hose washers with a stainless steel cone shaped screen molded into the washer. I cut away the rubber washer and the screen fit snugly into the outlet on my JLP intercooler coolant tank. If you have a different tank you will have to become creative to install the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread