Cooling mods??

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Off the top of my head..

Running a coolant mixture that favors a higher percentage of pure distilled water (Summer time only)

Removing the Hood blanket or at least cuttin the holes out and opening the flaps on the hood vents.

Aftermarket Heat Exchanger

Aftermarket Coolant Resevoir.

Tunning to have your Coolant fans come on sooner.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
StoplightWarrior said:
Hey, not getting help in the other thread...I'm wondering what are the best cooling mods to do on the 03/04 cobras. Thanks!
Reducing the temp of the incoming air is NOT a cooling mod. Sure it will help reduce the chance of detonation and yes it will make more power and making more power means making MORE heat, not less.

If your serious about keeping your car cool, take a look at what I posted here.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
where did you eventually locate the oil cooler and oil filter mount?

got pics of it all plumbed? would you buy any fittings differently, eg., 90 deg instead of straight.....?

im not as far as you yet :(

that said, a fluidyne radiator and gordsford exchanger keep my car from going into limp home mode on the road course so far (with a 2.93 and temps below 80f) but engine temps still hit 250f...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
where did you eventually locate the oil cooler and oil filter mount?

got pics of it all plumbed? would you buy any fittings differently, eg., 90 deg instead of straight.....?

im not as far as you yet :(

that said, a fluidyne radiator and gordsford exchanger keep my car from going into limp home mode on the road course so far (with a 2.93 and temps below 80f) but engine temps still hit 250f...

Havent quite got to the plumbing yet, hope to do it this weekend. I will be taking pics of where everything ended up.

Your car can go into limp more for a couple reason. One is intake temps get too high and the other is coolant temps get too high. Engine coolant temps also greatly effect the AIT temps. On road courses, from what I hear its not too hard to saturate the stock intercooler system which causes IAT's to remain high and the EEC to pull timing.

Seeing as a typical mix of 70/30 (antifreeze/water) has a boiling point of approx 235F, I would be scared to death to be hitting 250F, your just asking for trouble in my book.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
who uses 70/30? most in a northern clime use 50/50. im closer to 40/60 af/h2o right now.

why would you be scared of 250f? its only a few degrees out of the intended operating range anyway.....ford thinks 240f is high side of normal. they only care that it lasts 36,000miles anyway...and im well past that.

at least i knew enough not to smear it with the wipers....
burp.jpg

Shadowgray03 said:
Havent quite got to the plumbing yet, hope to do it this weekend. I will be taking pics of where everything ended up.

Your car can go into limp more for a couple reason. One is intake temps get too high and the other is coolant temps get too high. Engine coolant temps also greatly effect the AIT temps. On road courses, from what I hear its not too hard to saturate the stock intercooler system which causes IAT's to remain high and the EEC to pull timing.

Seeing as a typical mix of 70/30 (antifreeze/water) has a boiling point of approx 235F, I would be scared to death to be hitting 250F, your just asking for trouble in my book.

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
why would you be scared of 250f? its only a few degrees out of the intended operating range anyway.....ford thinks 240f is high side of normal. they only care that it lasts 36,000miles anyway...and im well past that.
I guess it largely depends on where your checking your temps at. If your seeing 250F at the stock sender location you can have hot spots in your head much hotter. These hot spots create a vapor barrier and significantly reduce the transfer of heat from head surface into coolant. The vapor can also caause cavitation and such further reducing coolant flow. Your obviously happy with your setup and more power to ya. I Personally feel the $1500 in cooling mods is a small price to pay to protect my new stroker and heads and with the mods I sure as heck dont expect to see anywhere near 250f..

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
my temp gauge sender is in the drivers side plug on the block.

take what an autometer gauge says with a grain of salt anyway.

most of you guys dont drive your cars hard for more than 12 seconds anyway so i dont see the need for you guys to do cooling mods.

dont get me wrong, im not done with the cooling mods yet. plumbing the evans stuff is non-trivial (ever wrestle with a porcupine? braided lines are fun like that) but i will eventually get there.

i dream of a day when it doesnt go over 200. but im not going to let that stop me from having a good time :pepper:

i'll turn over 40,000 miles this weekend and at least 8500 of those are hardcore road course track miles. if it was going to grenade, it would have done it already.

Last edited:

coolcobra

Established Member
I just completed the following cooling mods: Evans lower block inlet, 185 upper located thermostat, Fluidyne radiator, Evans hight volume water pump, remote oil cooler and filter. Royal Purple's application engineer suggest s to use 20% antifreeze, drinking water, not distilled water, and 2 bottles of the Purple Ice. They claim great results.

I plan to road race my car next week at California Speedway in Fontana. At Willow springs before the mods, I could easily hit coolant temps of 235--not good.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Your opinions needed:

I am going to be running a JLT CAI, ported eaton/plenum-t/b, 2.93/6lb lower with full 3" stainelss works exhaust.

As far as engine cooling this is what I have purchased so far:

LDC cooling mod
LFP radiator when it comes out in about a week (use fluidyne as a direct substitute for now)
Canton windage tray (for whatever thats worth considering cooling)
Whatever help the headers will provide...

I think I am going to buy the following on Monday:
Evans water pump (I do not want to buy the oil relocator kit. I'd love to run the Evans T-stat kit but it seems to require the oil relocator kit, at least as it was drawn over at :http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28635 )

Do you cooling experts think this will be enough? And I live in Phoenix :nonono:

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
coolcobra said:
I just completed the following cooling mods: Evans lower block inlet, 185 upper located thermostat, Fluidyne radiator, Evans hight volume water pump, remote oil cooler and filter. Royal Purple's application engineer suggest s to use 20% antifreeze, drinking water, not distilled water, and 2 bottles of the Purple Ice. They claim great results.

I plan to road race my car next week at California Speedway in Fontana. At Willow springs before the mods, I could easily hit coolant temps of 235--not good.

Post your postrace temps!

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
50 BMG said:
Your opinions needed:

I am going to be running a JLT CAI, ported eaton/plenum-t/b, 2.93/6lb lower with full 3" stainelss works exhaust.

As far as engine cooling this is what I have purchased so far:

LDC cooling mod
LFP radiator when it comes out in about a week (use fluidyne as a direct substitute for now)
Canton windage tray (for whatever thats worth considering cooling)
Whatever help the headers will provide...

I think I am going to buy the following on Monday:
Evans water pump (I do not want to buy the oil relocator kit. I'd love to run the Evans T-stat kit but it seems to require the oil relocator kit, at least as it was drawn over at :http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28635 )

Do you cooling experts think this will be enough? And I live in Phoenix :nonono:

that's a pretty bold pulley combo :eek:
i would also call up mark at LFP and get the heat exchanger and reservior

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
03 cobra toy(2.93) and toofast4u(KB VTstroker) both run higher than stock boost in an open track format... with the Evans stuff...
I have ridden in 03 cobra toy's car at TWS... It is STUPID FAST and does not over heat at all...

The application does make a difference...
The power level makes a difference...
The time at WOT makes a huge difference...

Your results may vary...

Sustained WOT is where tight pistons get hurt!!!.... even stock sometimes!!! :burn:

very good info in those links... time to read before you jump... for those it applies to... ;-)

And no.... an improved HE is not going to cool your engine temps at all!!! It will increase them!!! Because you WILL MAKE MORE POWER!!!
Power = Heat-----> always...
Still a great mod though and one I need to do real soon!!!
Jimmy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
the remote thermostat does not require to run their inlet .... you will need to remove the stock thermostat and put in a "t" fitting .... 1 1/2" in and out and two 3/4 lines at the "t", one is for the thermstat and the other is for your reservoir tank ..

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
that's a pretty bold pulley combo :eek:
i would also call up mark at LFP and get the heat exchanger and reservior
Ya I'm mostly concerned about the torque it's gonna have ;-) Already got a great deal on used (less than 300 miles on them) KB up and low control arms/coil overs/struts/ure-bushings/GKN half shafts/billetflow diff cover.

Between the Phoenix heat and SW headers I figure (well, I should say my tuners have seen in other 03's) I'm gonna bleed off enough boost to where it would be almost the same as a 2.93/4 lb in say...San Diego type ambient weather.

I got in on the extreme HE group purchase, still debating on the expansion tank. Reason being that from the pictures on the modularfords link, it looks like the only expansion tank that can be run is the vortec (battery relocation) unit if I was to go with the evans T-stat unit.

BTW, when are ya gonna port that blower? ;-)

racebronco2 said:
the remote thermostat does not require to run their inlet .... you will need to remove the stock thermostat and put in a "t" fitting .... 1 1/2" in and out and two 3/4 lines at the "t", one is for the thermstat and the other is for your reservoir tank ..

Ok, now I see it in the pictures on the other site. Now a new question. Is it going to be worth it (doing the evans mods) if there is going to be a bottleneck on the stock inlet?

I'll call evans on Monday but in the meantime if anyone has answers...and please, more opinions on my engine cooling setup :pop:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread